↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remap - Dynachip v BAS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
You can do remote with Alive too. At least a stage one, not sure about stage 2.
But then, that requires physical mods also. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #780076 3rd Jul 2019 10:11pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Whenever I read about Alive remaps it reminds me of this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6LbvKFkdN/

Lots of remap options out there but (in alphabetical order) I reckon BAS, Bowler, IRB and TD5inside are the best of bunch. I'm told Storm are also decent but have no experience of them myself.
Post #780095 4th Jul 2019 7:04am
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have the TD5inside/powerinside.
Brilliant.
Post #780395 6th Jul 2019 7:35pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
JOW240725 wrote:
Remaps are a bit of a minefield. I have no experience of Dynachip so can't comment on them. I do have a BAS170AB remap and can't recommend it highly enough. I would also highly recommend Gareth at Empire Tuning. And have only heard good things about Alive and IRB Developments. Personally, I would only use one of these.

The reason I went for BAS is purely I was highly recommended by a personal friend and secondly if it's good enough for JLR, Bowler and Twisted, it's good enough for me Thumbs Up

Whoever you go with it really is worth doing, done right it will totally transform the whole drive for the better.

the facts are what they are regardless of who thinks who's remap is the best but is the above statement true re; JLR ? The last I heard about a 3rd a party doing remaps for JLR (or at least trying to the emissions weren't where they needed to be).
There's been various rumours in the past about 1 company copying another which may or may not be true. In the early days I understand there was a 'shoot out' at one of the rolling roads which may or may not be noted on here?

All I can say is I appear to hold the record for best mpg (if my memory serves me right 40mpg which was the result of over 600 miles on a single / standard tank).
I've also done over 50k miles since the map and the engine is running sweet as a nut at 100k miles.

In the early days I was really keen to have the ability to return to the original map but the question of 'why if the remap is good' was put to me, I never had an answer to that albeit from a warranty perspective then yes it might be helpful?

I'm sure if you go for any of those mentioned above you'll be happy - can't recall anyone not being happy - except in the earlier days of remaps. Thumbs Up
Post #780397 6th Jul 2019 8:08pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Pete at BAS designed the engine maps for JLR prior to setting up BAS
Post #780421 6th Jul 2019 9:40pm
Caterham

no idea if that's the case or not but it's not the story I've heard.

my understanding is someone who DID sub-contract to Ford and JLR worked with BAS / Pete for a while and then spent a lot of time working with IRB - I was lucky enough to meet him numerous times and he was a genius and has since sadly passed.

I guess you could ask which came first the chicken or the egg. did the JLR 170 autobiography come first or the BAS 170?

I'm not suggesting what BAS produce isn't excellent - reviews prove the quality of their / his products but we need to ensure the facts are just that - facts. If my comments aren't factual than please correct as my comments are to a degree based on hear-say as I suspect are a lot of comments on here. Although I have no season to believe my comments aren't factual I also have no proof either Very Happy

very contentious subject as has been proven time and again with the numerous threads on here.

as mentioned before I've no doubt whomever you go with you'll be impressed. Thumbs Up
Post #780470 7th Jul 2019 11:12am
Timcat

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Having had Pete fit his intercooler / hoses & 170bhp biography map ( BAS2 rrc) to our 110 I'm more than happy. The main consideration for me apart from the obvious usability & performance is the ability to fault diagnose.
We are away in the truck for up to a month at a time & should we have a problem we can diagnose & re-program if necessary which even though our truck is in 1st class condition it doesn't hurt to be prepared.
Post #780472 7th Jul 2019 11:39am
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Caterham wrote:
no idea if that's the case or not but it's not the story I've heard.

my understanding is someone who DID sub-contract to Ford and JLR worked with BAS / Pete for a while and then spent a lot of time working with IRB - I was lucky enough to meet him numerous times and he was a genius and has since sadly passed.

I guess you could ask which came first the chicken or the egg. did the JLR 170 autobiography come first or the BAS 170?

I'm not suggesting what BAS produce isn't excellent - reviews prove the quality of their / his products but we need to ensure the facts are just that - facts. If my comments aren't factual than please correct as my comments are to a degree based on hear-say as I suspect are a lot of comments on here. Although I have no season to believe my comments aren't factual I also have no proof either Very Happy

very contentious subject as has been proven time and again with the numerous threads on here.

as mentioned before I've no doubt whomever you go with you'll be impressed. Thumbs Up

Wayne, you might be wrong on the BAS bit chap AND yes......he was one hell of a great friend. Spent many many many hours with him during my time with IRB, he certainly knew his stuff and was a well sort after wizard for most car companies.. Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #783030 25th Jul 2019 10:24am
Caterham

good to see your still posting.

which bit did I get wrong. PM me if it's more appropriate. Mr. Green
Post #783033 25th Jul 2019 10:32am
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
no doubt catch ya down unit sometime, I'm more VW scene at the mo. Still got my Defenders but both on a SORN Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #783048 25th Jul 2019 12:02pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
OK as most people advise "The remap that I spent money on is the best."
I have a BAS remap, and it transformed the Land Rover, 3000 mile continental trips 2 or 3 times a year are much more relaxed.
The reason that I'd recommend a BAS remap is the customer care service. Instant replies whatever the problem.

Oh - just read page 1 and see that you've already gone for the BAS remap Whistle
Post #783052 25th Jul 2019 12:38pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I’ve just booked mine in for the Alive Stage 1 Remap and softer suspension upgrade! Excited to see how different it feels afterwards
Post #815654 17th Feb 2020 6:55pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Rolling Eyes sorry double post somehow!

Last edited by ngins on 29th Jun 2020 11:41am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #840424 29th Jun 2020 11:40am
ngins

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Smilesapart, would be great to hear how you have got on.

I went down the BAS route and I would like to say a great thank you to all of the information on this forum which helped me out loads but also to Pete and his team for his help, advice and such a professional job.
I had a LR Original intercooler hose fail (a common problem I have now learned), and Pete’s advice on how to do a temporary repair to get up and running again (with really practical helpful suggestions on how to make my life easier doing the temporary repair) as well as the subsequently supplied upgrades including hoses, intercooler and remap have all been exceptional. I would not hesitate to recommend Bell Auto Services and look forwards to using them again myself in the future.

I have the 170AB Map and only done 250 miles so far on it but the difference is noticeable. I especially appreciate not having to nail the thing to 'smooth out' the hills any more as the usable power is on tap and available right when you need (and would expect) it. As others have said, probably the best money I have spent.
Post #840425 29th Jun 2020 11:41am
Rich1968

United Kingdom 
I'm looking at re-maps as well at the moment.

Can someone explain to me how a remote re-map can be as good as a map where someone is with the vehicle writing a map and testing it as they go?

Surely a remotely done map will just be based on any mods done and sent down to the vehicle?

As for reading fault codes, surely they'll all do this before touching a vehicle?

Rich
Post #840554 29th Jun 2020 9:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>