↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > 3.9 exhaust staining
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
V8Simon

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 V8 Petrol SW Auto Arles Blue
3.9 exhaust staining
I've wrestled one of my manifolds off as I'm replacing the gaskets and I've noticed that one of the ports through it has a white stain and looks different to the other one.

Would anyone be able to tell me what has caused the white residue and do I have a problem?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #773908 19th May 2019 7:23pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
is it loosing/using any coolant? DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #773938 20th May 2019 5:23am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Offside bank nearest the bulkhead by any chance?

Would suggest that you've got a head gasket leak - what does the rocker breather look like??
Post #773939 20th May 2019 5:41am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Looks like calcium to me.

Doubt it’s the fuel, are you running pure water cooling or diluted coolant? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #773954 20th May 2019 7:56am
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Sometimes white exhaust deposits are a result of a lean fuel mixture making the engine run hotter.

Years ago in the late 1980's I had a Peugeot 205 1.9 Gti and if I had ragged it hard the ends of the exhaust pipe would not be black and sooty but white! Cheers Don.
Post #773969 20th May 2019 9:04am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Sorry to go off topic but mention of a 1.9 205 GTi has made me go all teary eyed... had one in early/mid 90's but sold it to buy a 200Tdi Disco - lad I sold it to wrote it off not long after Big Cry - once got it to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear Shocked it was certainly moving!!

Back on topic, take the plug out of the corresponding cylinder and disconnect the ECU so the engine doesnt fire or put fuel into the cylinder then get someone to turn the engine over while you watch - when my brothers went it was squirting water out of the plug hole! if it's not conclusive then get a pressure tester put on it.
Post #774015 20th May 2019 12:32pm
V8Simon

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

I'm not loosing coolant that I know about, I'll double check but I've not had reason to top it up for 14 months. I have one of the stupid opaque TDCi header bottles so checking means taking the top off rather then just being able able to see.

It was laid up for a few years but brought back in to service just over 12 months ago, It has got hot once or twice last year before I sorted the fans out Embarassed

I don't think the coolant was replaced so not sure what is in it to be honest. I'll drop it out and see at the least what colour it is but looks like a head gasket change is in order.

VVS210, correct, it is the offside, not sure which cylinders are served by the white port but I'm guessing you think the head gasket could be leaking there?
I've not pulled the rocker breather off but will do.

I am going to take off the nearside manifold also and get them both cleaned up. It doesn't seem right putting them back on in the state they are.
Post #774183 21st May 2019 8:17am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Any news??

Went to drop some stuff off this morning & there was a 50th 90 parked outside, speaking to the owner he said it has a 4.6 TVR engine in it Mr. Green

Still on my hunt for a V8 Very Happy
Post #778513 22nd Jun 2019 2:25pm
V8Simon

Yes and no. I cleaned the manifolds up and refitted them. I HAVE lost half a litre of coolant so presuming at this time its is a head gasket failure as per the suggestions, I just need to find a free weekend to change it as I've never done a head gasket change before.

In my ongoing effort to polish a t**d, I bought a manifold stud kit thinking I'll fit them and slide the manifold on, nip up the new brass nuts that came with the studs and instant street cred....... to cut a long story short, I found that the rear most stud and front one were not 100% at 90deg to the head and try and might, I couldn't slide the manifold on. I've ended up buying a allen headed bolt kit and will fit that one at a time over this week.

On the plus side, the manifolds look a lot better Shocked
Post #779753 1st Jul 2019 1:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1