↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Slipping clutch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harry dog

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Slipping clutch
Advice needed......2012 2.2 TDCi 110. Just had a new Allisport intercooler fitted - original one had developed a split and was blowing small amounts of oil through the front grill. Stage one re-map was done around 18 months ago and new engine and turbo fitted just over 2 years ago (much discussed oil pump failure at 70mph cooked both engine and turbo!!).

Collected the car last night from the garage and told that the clutch was starting to slip (the clutch was replaced just over 2 years ago along with the engine). Having put it through its paces a bit last night and this morning - it all feels pretty normal under most normal driving conditions but when you really boot it in 4th or 5th gear the rev counter blips up and down.

Is this down to the extra efficiency of the intercooler (Allisport claim it increases cool air efficiency by 40%) which in turn is creating a bit more BHP from the engine? The mechanic did comment that you couldn't get a bigger intercooler in the space available if you tried!!

If only happening when the Landy is really booted hard and not happening in normal driving conditions, am I doing anything else (ie fly wheel / transmission) any damage if I continue to drive it long term?
Post #777602 15th Jun 2019 5:02pm
BenWilliams3010

England 
Hello Harry.

Yes, the intercooler will help generate a little more power than without.
This will be the only reason you're having this issue, unless of course there is a leak down the back of the crank, which would also create the slip!

What brand of clutch did you fit two years ago?

Have you considered a stronger set-up?
Post #778110 19th Jun 2019 10:43am
Harry dog

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks for the reply Ben

The clutch fitted two years ago along with the new engine was fitted by my local 4x4 garage and I don't know which clutch they fitted, I just let them get on with it.

Have looked at Clutchfix or LOF if I decide to change it now.....Under normal driving conditions I've not noticed any slipping at all this week and as the clutch in the vehicle has only done just over 20,000 miles I'm reluctant to get it changed!!

If I get a better quality clutch fitted will I really feel any notable difference? Trouble is it's a £700 - £800 + vat for the labour alone to change the clutch if it doesn't really warrant doing I don't want to spend the money. It does rattle when sat in neutral and the rattle goes away when you dip the clutch pedal but that said, I think its always done that to be honest!!
Post #778120 19th Jun 2019 12:28pm
BenWilliams3010

England 
Never an issue Harry!

I am the Clutchfix Sales and Technical Manager, so if you want a chat, feel free to get at me on here or on FaceBook!

Ah yeah I can understand your frustrations! It's a lot of money to have to spend on Labour!

You will notice a difference yes, the clutch will physically feel stronger and when you put your foot down, you'll feel it hold all the power!

Also well worth looking around for someone to do it for you! Some garages are a lot more than others!
Post #778121 19th Jun 2019 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1