↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Battery life keyfob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
desender

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Battery life keyfob
The batteries in my keyfob don't seem to work after less than a weeks use. It's the same issue with both keyfobs. A while ago I extended the aerial wire from the AS10 and that worked fine for a while. Also checked the AS10 for water ingress which is not the case.
It is a MY07 defender 90.

Could it be the keyfobs degrading or could it be the AS10? I use premium batteries for the fobs.

I'm afraid I will get locked out at some point Sad

Click image to enlarge
Post #777353 13th Jun 2019 2:42pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
I think in the service schedule they say to replace every 2years. I've done that since new and never had any issues. Sounds like you've got a problem somewhere.
Post #777358 13th Jun 2019 3:48pm
dgardel

Italy 
Re: Battery life keyfob
desender wrote:
The batteries in my keyfob don't seem to work after less than a weeks use. It's the same issue with both keyfobs. A while ago I extended the aerial wire from the AS10 and that worked fine for a while. Also checked the AS10 for water ingress which is not the case.
It is a MY07 defender 90.

Could it be the keyfobs degrading or could it be the AS10? I use premium batteries for the fobs.

I'm afraid I will get locked out at some point Sad

Have you tried to use your 2nd remote? Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #777478 14th Jun 2019 3:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
desender

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
williamthedog wrote:
I think in the service schedule they say to replace every 2years. I've done that since new and never had any issues. Sounds like you've got a problem somewhere.

I did try both keyfobs. I guess it is not the fob. I removed the AS10 again today and checked for damage. Could not see anything so I touched all of the solder joints on the circuit board with the soldering iron.

After I've put everything back the fobs were still intermittent. Sometimes I would have to press the buttons on the fob for 20 times before the doors lock or unlock.

Sometimes the doorlock on the passenger side is a bit dodgy so I took the doorcard off, Made sure all was in one piece, and greased all the linkage. Doorlock works fine now, but intermittent locking with fobs is still an issue.

Anybody has some more pointers?
Post #777482 14th Jun 2019 4:21pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Perhaps there is some electromagnetic interference from somewhere nearby? I usually have problems when parking in areas with some EM interference.

In one instance, I was able to lock the vehicle but when it came time to leave, no matter how much I pressed the unlock button, he would not unlock. After what seemed like forever, I spoke with a friend parked not too far away then went back to the truck, lo and behold, he unlocked and I was able to get home without having to do the EKA ceremony.

I try to be careful where I park as you'll never know when you'll run into EM interference. Come to think of it, the only time you find out you're in such an area is after you've shut off your engine and tried to lock the door. Mostly, you just need to lock by key and he will still start but there was one instance where a few friends and I had to push him away from the parking spot a few meters before he started. For the record, that particular area is quite notorious for EM interference and is not that far from where I had my close call.
Post #777776 17th Jun 2019 3:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1