↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > NC500
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
NC500
We’ve just got back from a trip around Scotland, loosely based on the NC 500. We started on the islands of Harris/Lewis where we stayed in a newly built Bothy on the shore of a Loch. One evening we watched a sea eagle catch a gull and land in the loch with it, it couldn’t take off again with the gull in its claws so it used its wings to swim back to the shore before tucking into it’s dinner. It was quite a distance away but I’ve got some photos taken on a long lens, they are not great because of the distance but I’ll try to upload them when I get a chance, they’re on my wife’s camera. There are some lovely beaches on Lewis, this is on the north-west side, it wasn’t a completely clear day so we couldn’t quite see Canada.

Click image to enlarge

We got back on the mainland and started making our way up on the west coast, most people seem to agree that this is the best coast of Scotland and I have to agree, the scenery is stunning. This is the Bealach Na Ba Pass, it would have been a stunning view but it was a bit misty.

Click image to enlarge

After driving all day through rain there was a gap in the weather and we found a lovely spot at a beach campsite.

Click image to enlarge

We set up camp and then the rain started again, bringing wind with it this time. Although everything seemed very secure during the night the wind changed direction and attacked our Foxwing, bending and snapping poles.

Click image to enlarge

There are a lot of single track roads with passing places on the west and north coasts so progress can be slow at times. We arrived at Thurso in the rain but woke the next morning to sunshine and a great view of the Orkney Islands

Click image to enlarge

This is Dunnet Head, the most northerly Point of the British mainland, where you can get a great view of the puffins, if you know where to look for them.

Click image to enlarge

We made the obligatory visit to John O’Groats before working our way back down the east coast. The landscape is not as interesting down this side but there are pretty villages and castles to visit. We finished off with a visit to Aviemore where we even got to see some snow

Click image to enlarge

Despite the wind and rain we thoroughly enjoyed the trip and wouldn’t want to do it at any other time of the year. We largely avoided the midges and as the season moves on having to stop for hundreds of camper vans and tourist buses on the singletrack roads would become very frustrating. We saw fantastic scenery and wildlife and all without leaving the UK.
Post #776086 3rd Jun 2019 8:09pm
L110CDL

England 
Great you had a good time, thanks for sharing and the pic's Thumbs Up

The wife and i are doing this in about 4 months time Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #776102 3rd Jun 2019 9:14pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Pictures look great, we’re off to do the NC500 next Friday,, can’t wait, Campsite’s all booked, and stocked up on midge repellent. Hope we enjoy it as much as you did Whirly90,

👍👍
Post #776104 3rd Jun 2019 9:19pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Cracking pictures, a lovely part of the world Thumbs Up
Post #776115 3rd Jun 2019 10:11pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great photos! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #776116 3rd Jun 2019 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1