↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Who has done the Vibraction Pyrenees Traverse (RB5)?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Who has done the Vibraction Pyrenees Traverse (RB5)?
We are off to attempt the Vibraction RB5 Pyrenees Traverse in a few weeks. I only have 8 days available actually in the mountains which I don't think is enough to do the every mile of track. Would that be correct?

Our plan is to still cover the whole route east to west, but skip some chunks along the way to keep us on schedule. Can anyone that has attempted this offer any advice on which bits are absolutely must do? Our priority is seeing the most picturesque places, not necessarily the most challenging trails as we are a single vehicle.

Also any other advice things to see along the way, places to stay etc would be welcomed. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #775566 30th May 2019 3:42pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Just got back from following it, we did West to East Starting from Bilbao. Its a great route with really varied scenery, way more mountainous in the East with many of the tracks above 2000m. We had 7 days on the route but only managed to get from Erro to Andorra but we were not rushing. We took the decision to enjoy the bits we did and go back another year to fill the gaps. The trails are fairly straightforward thought a couple of sections ramped up the challenge a bit at times but there always seemed to be alternatives if a section was chained off or had a Prive sign on it.

I'm just finishing off cleaning up the route we actually followed so happy to send it over if your are interested, let me know. I'll try and do a bit more work on it this weekend and I can highlight some of the sections we particularly enjoyed, that being said it was a fantastic trip and we have already started planning for the next one Very Happy

A really good source for gpx files of the tracks is the Wikiloc site... well worth a look if you are not familiar with it.
Post #775612 30th May 2019 8:27pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm happy to accept we wont get the whole thing covered in one trip. I have the Vibraction GPX supplied when I bought the book, but there have been a couple of updates since then, so I wonder if they would send me an updated file. I also have route from Wikiloc which looks suspiciously like the Vibraction one.

I am going to see if I can teach myself to create GPX files and try to translate one of the Vibraction updates into one for myself.

I'd be interested in anything you might be able to share. Also, if you have any "must see" places then let me know. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #775633 30th May 2019 10:14pm
sharkey964

France 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have done it about 5 years ago.
As 8619simon said the East side is better than the West.
IMO RB1 Val d' Aran to Andorra is a much better route.
I was there 2 weeks ago,still snow on the shadey sides of the mountains. Thumbs Up
Marc
Post #775637 30th May 2019 10:48pm
8619simon

Heres a link to the route we did on Wikiloc. Best bits for me were from Luna onwards through to Andorra. We stopped at a lovely campsite in Nocito and spent a day walking in the hills, really quiet and a beautiful spot.

https://www.wikiloc.com/offroading-trails/...a-37038313

The section from Arguis to Tremp was also a favourite with varied trails up in the hills and some really interesting old ruins buried in the woods.

@Sharkey964 I think you were there same time as us. Driving up from Spain on the smugglers route into Andorra was exciting in places. The last half dozen switch backs had a fair bit of snow against the hill which limited the track to a muddy narrow strip next to the drop Shocked
Post #775641 30th May 2019 11:20pm
sharkey964

Click image to enlarge

8619simon Yeah,sounds like it.
I also did another smugglers track from Tirvia to Os de Civis.No snow at all on the drive up.(sunny side)of the mountain.But the track down the other side had even more snow banked up than the Tor to Andorra track.
It was a bit scarry in places.
Marc.
Post #775734 31st May 2019 8:57pm
8619simon

It does focus the mind a little doesn't it! When we were going up from the Tor side there was one of those big Mann expedition trucks stuck on a switch back. He'd got down the first few then wasn't keen to continue with the drop and very narrow track .

Simon
Post #775742 31st May 2019 9:25pm
sharkey964

Yeah...Bigger isn't always better.
I was talking to a guy at the Stratford overland show with a BIG 6 wheel drive "thing",not sure what make it was.
Said he had got it stuck in Morocco,& it had cost him 5 grand to get it recovered. Shocked Rolling with laughter
I'll stick with me Landies. Thumbs Up
Marc.
Post #775748 31st May 2019 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1