Home > Puma (Tdci) > low power - low turbo boost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DarrenJ

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
low power - low turbo boost
Hi,

Really struggling diagnosing a fault with the car and had no joy searching the archives.

I recently put the original map back on the car (this was my mistake Big Cry ) in readiness for the cars MOT. The car wouldn't rev and smoked horrifically as the EGR had jammed open. I blanked off the EGR and put the remap back on but i now have a lack of power.
There are no fault codes and the engine runs with no issues except the lack of power. When connecting the BAS tool i note that the turbo actuator rarely goes below 30%, when it does for a second or so full power is back. I have cleaned the MAP and MAF sensors, relearnt the pump etc but to no avail. There doesn't appear to be any damaged pipes and the turbo actuator mechanism is free

Before i start changing parts starting with the MAF sensor any ideas out there or am i missing something?

Thanks in advance
Darren Darren
Post #774402 22nd May 2019 2:43pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Check the condition of the wiring harness from the ECU to the turbo actuator. It is common for chafing problems to occur.
Post #774411 22nd May 2019 3:10pm
DarrenJ

Cheers, l’ll check the loom tomorrow, is there a particular area to look at?

Cheers again Darren
Post #774476 22nd May 2019 9:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Anywhere it touches or is secured to the engine, and if you have a/c check where it runs over the compressor.
Post #774479 22nd May 2019 9:50pm
skidrov

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
I had a very similar scenario. For various reasons I went from my BAS map (EGR always closed) to standard (EGR cycled). I had not run the standard map for many months and so the EGR valve was well coked up, and jammed.

Similarly, power was down. I put in an EGR blanking plate and things improved slightly. However, I had DTCs indicating that the EGR valve was jammed open. My (wild unsubstantiated) guess was that the ECU knew that the EGR was jammed open and, even when I went back to the BAS map which doesn't cycle the EGR, limited something (no idea what - perhaps the turbo actuator, as you suggest) that limited power.

I removed/replaced the EGR valve (not a fun job...) and things returned to normal. BTW, you can get a very cheap EGR on AliExpress - if you are not cycling it 'coz you have a remap, I would suggest this is a good option if you have to go that route.

But - you said you had no fault codes - I would expect you should have some if the EGR valve is jammed open. I used FORScan, and definitely had "your EGR valve is jammed" codes (sorry, can't remember what they were). Can I ask what software is telling you that there's no fault codes?
Post #774531 23rd May 2019 10:42am
DarrenJ

Thanks for the response.
I’m using the BAS tool to read the codes, no faults logged and the dash light is not lit. Ironically when I put he standard map back on no fault codes are logged and the engine management light stays on.
I cleaned the MAF again last night, didn’t do a great deal and I checked the wiring this morning but didn’t find anything obvious. I did unplug the actuator and clean up the connections this am and things have improved, turbo did get to 9% earlier and there is a lot more power, still down a little I’d say.

Cheers
Darren Darren
Post #774537 23rd May 2019 11:16am
skidrov

EML on and no fault codes doesn't sound right - might be worth trying another tool and/or checking with BAS.
Post #774541 23rd May 2019 11:36am
DarrenJ

Oops, the EML stays off and no are fault codes logged on either standard or remap.
If you remove the EGr can you force it closed and then refit?
Cheers Darren
Post #774543 23rd May 2019 11:52am
skidrov

Probably, but you won't know for sure til you get it out. I replaced mine, but cleaned up the old one out of interest. It took about an hour (once out) and a bit of brake cleaner. Thing is, it's such a pig to get out/in that I chose to go for the new one. It was $AU 90 to my door.
Post #774544 23rd May 2019 12:04pm
DarrenJ

All sorted!
Thank you for the advice.

I checked the turbo wiring and removed the connector, cleaned with electrical contact cleaner and also cleaned the MAF again, full power has returned and a brucie bonus of a bit more too Very Happy Darren
Post #774908 25th May 2019 6:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1