↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Cabling route for DAB aerial/bluetooth mic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NickMSM

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Cabling route for DAB aerial/bluetooth mic
Hoping someone can help please, I have wired up my new Pioneer radio but can't work out how best to route the cables for the DAB aerial and bluetooth mic. I would like the mic somewhere on top of the central console I think, and the stick on aerial behind rear view mirror on the windscreen.

I assume cable for aerial up the A pillar and behind headlining but how do I get it from the radio to the a pillar?

It's for a Puma.
Post #773867 19th May 2019 2:13pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Based on my own experience as well as that of others I have read on here, the screen mounted antenna's are guff.

Ditch it and get one of these which amplifies the signal from the factory aerial https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-PC6-536...00FRGBLIW/

I have one and rate it highly, as do many other forum users. It removes the need for cable routing as it lives behind the head unit, also taking power directly from the head unit.

For the microphone, mine is at the top of the a-pillar. Routing is simple by removing the dash trim along the top of the instrument binnacle and the a pillar cover itself.

If you do choose to go with the screen mounted aerial then this can take the route I describe up the a pillar, there are various hoes and gaps in the dash plastics to give you route straight to the back of the head unit. It will become clear once you take off the two plastics I mention > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #773872 19th May 2019 2:31pm
turnah

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
Agree with Hank; I bought a similar one and it's brilliant : Eightwood DAB Car Aerial Splitter... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRIFCDD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Post #774123 20th May 2019 9:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I too have heard people have not had very good experiences with screen mount aerials, could you not sell it as new I found it is for near full price? (If you decided you wanted to.)

You may instead want to consider the Nakatanega Aerial. Includes the above boosters but a very good performing Aerial too which you don't need to manually extend before using and is also safe from being damaged unlike the the factory one.
The factory one can easily be snapped by the slightest small branch or similar but granted mainly a green lane issue.
I often do, so is an issue for me too?

Wha ever you decide to do, I'm sure Brendan (4x4 Overlander. On here can assist.
They aren't cheap, but quality isn't cheap and if, I say if you wanted to sell the other gals mount Aerial as new that'd probably go a good way towards the cost.
I have been pleased with mine and fitting isn't too much trouble at all, possibly a little easier than the glass mount type.

What ever you decide, enjoy your new purchase. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #774135 20th May 2019 10:16pm
dgardel

Italy 
Me too, swapped from screen aeria to a splitter for the radio one and DAB naw is working!!! Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #774144 20th May 2019 10:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCM

United Kingdom 
Recently had an issue with a new double din DAB unit and rubbish DAB reception. (see earlier post)
While the issue was traced to the head unit. In the process I tried loads of aerials. Courtesy of a autosounds in Newcastle using the signal strength reading on a fancy unit.

Turns out the best one by far was the factory unit in full extension. The best creen one was actually quite good, but the mounting issues with a factory heated windscreen meant you couldn't stick it at the top of the screen, but quite low.
They also has the original Naka one (Or the antenna the naka one was based on without the defender fittings. This was as good as the windscreen one but still not as good as the atandard factory fit. I now run the factory fit lowered and it's fine. Only pull it our when on a long cruise and into the hills.
Post #774157 20th May 2019 10:58pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Re: Cabling route for DAB aerial/bluetooth mic
NickMSM wrote:

I assume cable for aerial up the A pillar and behind headlining but how do I get it from the radio to the a pillar?

It's for a Puma.

Remove the 2 torx head bolts from the centre panel where your headunit sits and pull the entire section forward enough to get your hand behind it.

Remove the 2 torx head bolts from the top of the dash over the clocks.

Feed the cable through the rear of the centre console, across the clock and up the A frame.

Re fit the dash above the clocks and centre console, plug your mic into the headunit and fit that back in it's slot.

I threaded my mic into the sun visor for perfect voice pick up
Post #774159 20th May 2019 11:39pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I used a small hole for the mic as seen below. This was OEM from the removed unit. (Steering Wheel removed..)
Easy wiring and looks great.

Click image to enlarge

Phone connection is hidden in the glove box.

Click image to enlarge
Post #774161 21st May 2019 1:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1