↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > If the worst does happen...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
If the worst does happen...
I’ve mentioned on here a couple of times that i’ll be doing a French and Italian alps tour this summer at the end of June, with a friend but both in the same defender. Most of the the route is now planned. I’ve decided what spares i’ll be bringing from another thread in the td5 section and i’ll be carrying the basic tools and a compressor.

However...

Say you’ve just had an early evening picnic and you’re on a track in France up a mountain, get back in the car the car and it doesn’t start whats next? You’re European breakdown cover isn’t going to cover you up there. I doubt you'll have signal. Do you just set up camp and wait for someone to come by then walk to the nearest refuge or village of you can? I’ve not been up those tracks before so I don’t know how much passing traffic/walkers/cyclists there are up there.

Of course I don’t suspect my landy will let me down but there’s always the what if situation.
Post #772699 11th May 2019 10:14pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
This scenario can be anywhere off the beaten track in the UK or the world !
Safety First - if you are in an area you dont know and have the ability to camp - then stay there till first light then walk to where you know habitation/ popular roads are likely to be.
If it is going to be dangerous to stay, then leave a message in the vehicle window with your name and mobile number and where you are heading so as people can find you if later. Take torches, (warm cloths food and drink if its likely to be a long walk) and plan your route staying on the main track, preferably the one you were traveling on.

There is no right or wrong answer as they all depend on so many variables, but think safety first and you should be ok.

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #772720 12th May 2019 7:50am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Excellent words of advice from Wyvern, who is a guy with vast experience in travelling far and wide off the beaten track Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #772721 12th May 2019 8:01am
leeds

United Kingdom 
In Europe there are very few tracks where you can not walk out of in a day or two.

Do not be tempted to stay in dry river beds as if it has rained in the mountains a hundred miles away you could be caught out by a flood pulse.

Mobile phone signal is pretty good in Europe. The main problem with mobile phone signal and sat nav are dense forest and deep gorges. So IF in the unfortunate case you have to walk out stop at the crest of every rise/forest clearing and check for signal

Before travelling make contact with 4 x 4 owners in the region. Local knowledge is normally the best and you will be surprised how helpful people can be, telling you best places to go/places to avoid, letting you camp in their garden etc, organising repairs etc.

Get on good terms with your local parts manager, if that part does break then your local parts manager can courier the parts to you in most parts of Europe within 48 hours.

If going into a very remote area then leave your route with a responsible person and the next stage is extremely important tell them when you are out of the area to avoid any unnecessary call outs.

A well maintained vehicle used sensibly (I.e. no headlights left on whilst you go for that stroll etc) and you will have very few problems.

If you come across an obstacle, think carefully what can go wrong and have you the experience/gear to overcome it. If unhappy turn around and find a different route.

Walk that section first! Once had to rescue a vehicle from a river crossing as driver would not walk across first. Him and vehicle got extremely when a wheel went into a pothole and yes his bum got extremely wet inside vehicle!

Good luck, enjoy and plenty of photos please.

Brendan
Post #772743 12th May 2019 10:08am
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
We did the tracks of the French / Italian alps with AlpineRovers in June 2011 - a fantastic trip in fantastic scenery
The Tracks were not busy but we often met other vehicles - especially fiat panda 4x4s
We would camp for a couple of nights in the mountains then come down to re stock food and have a shower
Might be worth speaking to Apline Rovers as if they are in the same area and you have a breakdown they being Landrover enthusiasts may be able to help
Have a great trip

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #772752 12th May 2019 11:25am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Thanks for the replies. I’ve taken all your info onboard.

Of course there’ll be pictures heading this way when I get back. Lots of planning has been done so hopefully everything will go smoothly. 6 weeks to wait, although a house move in two weeks should keep me busy.
Post #773780 18th May 2019 10:44pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Everything has been covered by the excellent advice preceding me Thumbs Up

Except.......

Always buy and have a detailed, local trekking map in the Def or on your person. GPS does not always get a signal, especially if the weather is of the typical alpine heavy cloud/torrential rain with lightening variety. Also GPS can brake, fail or run out of battery. So a map for either providing recovery and emergency services a grid ref to get to you, or for you to use to get to the nearest village on foot if need be is vital. And it's stating the bleeding obvious but I see it everyday when up on the high trails, take a full day sack with you including as a minimum full wet kit and full warm kit, water, sunscreen, food. If you can get a small 1-2 season lightweight sleeping bag and/or Basha in there, great. Standard 25l rucksack will swallow all that. But you can step off in blistering sunshine and within an hour it has dropped 10c, it's raining or hailing cats and dogs, and you're completely exposed. Lots, and I mean LOTS, of people get badly caught out every summer, despite the warnings, and some do die. Nothing to worry about if you are prepared. As they say, no such thing as bad weather, just bad preparation and clothing.

Generally though, you would be hard pressed (in the French part of the Alps at least) to go for more than a few hours, if that, let alone day or two, without seeing a walker, farmer, mountain biker, trail rider etc. More's the shame. But it certainly isn't mid Kalahari. So someone will be able to help either with a phone call, because not all the high Alps have coverage, or drive you somewhere to get a spare part, find a mechanic etc.

Final thing, in France the Alps have regulated times you can drive the trails between July snd August. Priority falls to walkers and cyclists. It's usually banned between 0800-1800. Also, whilst you can stay out and drive around overnight and sleep on the high passes and cols, you CANNOT, pitch tents away from allocated camping areas, which are in themselves normally beside towns or in the mountains, beside refuges. You can bivvie, you can use a rooftop tent, but you cannot pitch. Also beware of lighting fires, some of the protected areas ban real fires as well. So if you're looking to be miles from habitation, set up camp, light a huge fire, drive trails all day, get bladdered and fill yourself with BBQ by night....go to Canada. Rolling with laughter . Or Spain, where I think rules are more relaxed, others will confirm. But France now has some of the strictest regs and will certainly be both the busiest and most policed. If you come to the MontBlanc region, PM me. I can point/take you up some of the trails, or at least suggest where you might find a good beer. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #773807 19th May 2019 8:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1