↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Unexplained engine stoppage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
geostrategist

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
Unexplained engine stoppage
4 times over the past few days, the engine has unexpectedly stopped. It occurs at idle power, changing down gear to 3rd or 2nd approaching a stop. There’s no problem starting again afterwards. At first I thought that the feel shutoff had activated (Defender Defender tracker option), but that wasn’t the case. The engine just dies, rather than stalls (such as trying to drive off in too high a gear).

It’s a 2.4 TDCi; it’s on half a tank of diesel (so it shouldn’t be because I’ve just mis-fuelled it!); there doesn’t appear to be any fuel leak.

Any suggestions?
Post #800571 3rd Nov 2019 11:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The Volume Control Valve would be my first suspect.
Post #800584 3rd Nov 2019 2:31pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I had something very similar happen at random times, usually pulling up at junctions when it would suddenly die for no obvious reason, only to restart easily on the key.
I didn't ever find the cause, but started using posh diesel by chance when there was no regular available at the pump one day, and found the engine ran noticeably quieter and smoother so I continued to use since then, and the stuttering & stalling hasn't happened since either, & this was over a year ago now.
This suggests that some part or sensor was getting mucky (I do a lot of shorter journeys between occasional long), and the extra detergents in the fancy diesel has helped clean things up.
So I'm not suggesting you use more expensive fuel all the time (I do low mileage so no big deal), but maybe worth trying a tank-full every so often, or even a cleaning additive & see if things improve?
Post #800709 4th Nov 2019 11:04am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Not something to do with fluid level?

My handbrake warning light used to come on only when I stopped or went downhill? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #800744 4th Nov 2019 2:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I had this once pulling out of the drive after filling up at a fuel station with a brand I don’t typically use.
I can only imagine there maybe something in it!

Never been back there, and gone back to my preferred Esso / Millers additive I use all the time and never had a problem ever since.
So you can use regular diesel and additive all the time or premium diesel permanently instead. I prefer the additive as regular diesel is more readily available.
And tend to use Esso, BP, Shell etc only.
Never supermarket diesel or uncommon brands.

I found regular diesel from these budget places with no additive ran very poorly. Louder, less smooth. Down on power, dirtier I’d imagine etc etc.

If you keep getting it though after trying these things then the VCV as mentioned above could be culprit. And it could be fuel and or contamination in it that has caused its demise.

I have thought my VCV needed changing a while ago but it seems to be okay, and fuel use defiantly has an effect. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #800746 4th Nov 2019 3:16pm
geostrategist

Thanks guys

My gut feeling is fuel, but I've never noticed any differences from various diesel outlets before. I usually use supermarkets due to cost - the last tank full was Tesco. I'll have a go with an additive and see if that helps, or else try the premium version.

As an aside, I'm getting about 400 miles on a tankful from full to red light. (110 CSW). I would hope that the premium gives a bit better range for the cost!
Post #800821 4th Nov 2019 10:29pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
How many miles has the engine done? It's pretty typical of injector spray pattern alteration due to wear/clogging. This stops the fuel burning correctly and you get less combustion pressure from the same fuel input.

I would assume what it's doing is falling through idle and stalling? Or does it sit at idle for a while and then stall?

You'll find the redex additive/millers/better fuel etc solves it some of the time because it burns more cleanly, so the engine when reducing to idle speed fuel injection volume from higher speed is more able to catch itself.

When it gets really bad you can blip the engine in neutral and it'll fall through idle and stall.

Crank shaft position sensor can also generate it on some engines but on a Ford engine that would normally create a non-start condition rather than a fall through idle or a stall, unless it failed during use, and then it wouldn't re-start.

Final guess, assuming fuelling and or additives make no difference whatsoever, is fuel pump, which i had on my previous car, but i can't for the life of me remember how it works, was something to do with pressure set points and valving inside the pump.
Post #800853 5th Nov 2019 11:12am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The fuel Pump system on the Puma is quite complicated I believe and I think it differs from 2.4 and 2.2 also.

I think there are posts on here about it, and some links with diagrams explaining in videos etc.

I would definitely try standard diesel from a non supermarket directory. And the Millers additive.
At first you can use a bit of a higher dose, then go down to standard.
It lasts a long time, you will get better MPG, power and smoother idle and running.
I use it all the time on mine, and wouldn’t be without it.
Standard dose it has a measure with it is 25ml to 25L or 50ml to 50L.

I tend to fill up often and regular so use the 25ml - 25L dose.

It should clean all components up somewhat too. Can’t say it’ll be a complete cure but give it a go. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #800870 5th Nov 2019 12:43pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Does the idle speed fluctuate much? I had this problem, but it was combined with unsteady idle. It was the VCV valve. When the piston gets worn it can’t properly regulate fuel pressure. If you have a diagnostic tool, plug it in and look at the fuel pressure readings. Mine were swinging all over the place. New VCV and they were very steady. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #800872 5th Nov 2019 12:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
What sort of diagnostic tools give you that info? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #800879 5th Nov 2019 3:00pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I use Nanocom 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #800880 5th Nov 2019 3:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #800881 5th Nov 2019 3:08pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
The Volume Control Valve would be my first suspect.

(Cough) May I refer you to the first reply to the OP.

This really does sound like a VCV in the first stages of failure.
Post #800882 5th Nov 2019 3:26pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
geostrategist wrote:
Thanks guys

My gut feeling is fuel, but I've never noticed any differences from various diesel outlets before. I usually use supermarkets due to cost - the last tank full was Tesco. I'll have a go with an additive and see if that helps, or else try the premium version.

As an aside, I'm getting about 400 miles on a tankful from full to red light. (110 CSW). I would hope that the premium gives a bit better range for the cost!

So for the past year I've only used premium diesel, from Esso or BP - I calculated at an additional cost of between £50 & £60 per year, so I'm happy with that - if I did more miles I might think differently!
The main difference I noticed is the quieter engine - the very top end rattle (that sounds a bit like pinking) is all but gone, and is welcome. This in addition to the elimination of mystery cut-outs of course, which I suffered from for about a year before trying this fuel.
I'm probably only getting an additional 5 miles per tank - my 90 has always got to 300 miles before the light comes on, I think I broke my own record recently at 320-something. This equates to 30 to 31mpg. Mainly many short rural trips between 5 & 20 miles (don't get into 6th), so I think that's pretty good. On longer (motorway) trips I tend to be loaded up, point the needle at 75 (a true 70) and still get about the same unless I'm towing.
I would treat your 110 with a full tank of premium just the once & see if you notice any difference?
And if you do, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
Post #800887 5th Nov 2019 3:50pm
geostrategist

Update

Refuelled a few days ago, and used a dose of Millers Ecomax. So far so good. There was one stall just after I refuelled, but as there was still half a tank of the old diesel on board it was probably the last of the crud working it’s way through. Since then everything has been fine, so I’m putting it down to dodgy Tesco fuel. I was told that their standard diesel has a higher % of biodiesel, so that may be the reason.
Post #802124 13th Nov 2019 7:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>