↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Back Seats in New 90?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Back Seats in New 90?
Fellows, did anybody spot decent pictures of the back seats for the Computerkids 90? Does it stay that versatile with the folding seat construction, or did they cripple it in the back to standard seats? Woudn't like to miss the variability of the compartment ... Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #832139 20th May 2020 6:49am
J77

Scotland 
The 90 has regular car style back seats, split 40,20,40 though they don’t fold flat in 90 for some reason.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #832156 20th May 2020 9:03am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
How hard can it be in a new-from-ground-up design, to get seats that fold flat, in a car designed as an all-singing, all-dancing, go anywhere, do anything load lugger? Yet another detail that reinforces the idea that this car was never, ever intended to appeal to current ‘Defender Man’, even if we have the budget and like it, which many of us do. Man alive. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #832201 20th May 2020 1:13pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I agree Thumbs Up
To design it like that from scratch, they have lost the plot.
Also not seen any mention of being able to easily take the seats in/out as required, like various MPV have done for years?
And it would have been nice to have a flip up (say half height) mesh cargo barrier.
All fairly simple features which would have moved the old Defender design forward.
Post #832203 20th May 2020 1:28pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I bet those rear seat lack the flexibility that was standard in the late lamented Skoda Yeti. I can't remember how flat the Yeti seats fold, but they are so easy to remove, reposition for extra elbow room, and generally reconfigure. There also seems to be much less wasted space in the boot of the Yeti.
Post #832216 20th May 2020 3:27pm
Tim in Scotland

There will be a reason for it........... maybe there’s a very expensive load floor leveling fill-in piece to come as an accessory / extra profit generator.......... Mr. Green Something that will reduce the load space height but cost you a couple of grand from your friendly dealership aceesories counter.
I agree it’s a pretty poor design to intentionally design it that way - obviously not an engineering decision but a design based decision - it’s one thing that’s making me think if I want a 90 now - was intending to go for a 90SE but erring more towards a very basic 110 just because the carrying capacity of the 90 is dire for such a large car, all seats in use there would be no room in the “boot” of the 90 to store all the Welly boots for 5 people let alone the towing gear, recovery strops etc etc that fit very nicely between the rear side facing seats in the back of my present 90. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #832221 20th May 2020 3:40pm
NinetyTD4

Thanks all for pointing to the pictures. What a Censored design at such an expensive car. For me this is a nogo construction. Didn't they talk(!) to people really using their cars? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #832268 20th May 2020 7:10pm
Tim in Scotland

No they didn’t, it’s all the work of he who can do no wrong, Jerry. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #832272 20th May 2020 7:27pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
blackwolf wrote:
I bet those rear seat lack the flexibility that was standard in the late lamented Skoda Yeti. I can't remember how flat the Yeti seats fold, but they are so easy to remove, reposition for extra elbow room, and generally reconfigure. There also seems to be much less wasted space in the boot of the Yeti.

Our old 2009 A-class is like this. Insanely thoughtful use of space inside. Rear seats that fold flat with one hand. The rear bases have a one handed latch to take them out completely. You can fit a bike crossways in the back with rear bases out. Dual height boot floor. These are sorts of thing that Land Rover should be doing across the range as standard. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #832273 20th May 2020 7:34pm
NinetyTD4

Tim in Scotland wrote:
No they didn’t, it’s all the work of he who can do no wrong, Jerry.

Unbelievably stupid. I showed the pictures to the missis ... reaction clear - car strictly denied! Since the kids left home we both drive the old 90 and I'd say we fold the back seats at least 3 times a week to fit for the different transport needs. Next Q: does the front co-seat fold flat to allow full length load as in the old? I suspect the answer is also No? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #832274 20th May 2020 7:39pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Don't know about you guy's but am I correct in thinking they've left off the stupid boxes on the side windows in the images... So to get the view and light you have to pay extra... Thud
Everytime I see the new Discovery 5.1 I can't help thinking it's a bodged last gasp punt at re-using a platform that just doesn't work for this vehicle...

Just my 2p It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #832280 20th May 2020 8:08pm
J77

Scotland 
No to get less view you pay £155.

Platform works perfectly well, just engineers couldn’t be arsed to make flat folding seats.
Post #832281 20th May 2020 8:10pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
Thanks for correcting me there J77... Although, If the platform allowed the seats to go flat I can't see why anyone wouldn't do that.... It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #832286 20th May 2020 8:26pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think that the problem is that Land Rover over the recent years has really only made one vehicle.

The company thinks that the sales staff are there to advise and point the consumer to the vehicle of choice that suits their requirements.....

'Would sir / madam like a big one or a small one'
'Would sir / madam like a fast one or not so fast one'
'Would sir / madam like a five seater or seven seater'
'Would sir / madam like an expensive one or and even more expensive one'

In reality the sales staff (taken from my wife's experience, 2 Freelander 1's, Discovery 2, Discovery 3, Evoque, 2 Discovery Sports and the current Velar) have never sold a vehicle nor ever questioned the intended use to offer a suitable alternative.

Those wanting a certain type of Land Rover will buy that, even if another model would be better suited. Lets face it, from the Evoque upwards the sales staff never suggested trying a petrol over a diesel and even less so when DPF's became a thing.

Three door cars are a pain in the rear end if you carry passengers on a regular basis, even the three door Evoque was killed off.

What I am getting at is if you want the 90 as a passenger car and expect to carry anything more than a Ginsters pasty in the back, then buy the 110. Don't expect the sales 'experts' to advise accordingly.

My wife wants to see the 90 when its available, but I think that the 90 is too restrictive even though its bigger than my 90 TD5 HT. I think that she will be disappointed, who wants to keep putting the back seats down every time you do the weekly shopping

And as others have noted, if you buy the 5 seater 90 with the rear seats permanently down you end up with a step in the rear which is dumb and will be annoying depending of use

Will the new 90 die a death in the future. guess we will have to wait and see.....
Post #832287 20th May 2020 8:27pm
J77

Scotland 
Morepower wrote:
Thanks for correcting me there J77... Although, If the platform allowed the seats to go flat I can't see why anyone wouldn't do that....

I don’t know why anyone would pay to have it.
Post #832288 20th May 2020 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>