↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Land Rover Customer Relations > One way to stop transfer input shaft leaking......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Greadh

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
One way to stop transfer input shaft leaking......
Recently I had the clutch replaced under warranty, at the same time I paid to have the intermediate shaft replaced. Unfortunately the transferbox has leaked twice at the input shaft seal and the dealer has had the car for 3 Months trying to stop the leaks....... I get the car back today (after 3 months!) To find their method of stopping the leak is to apply sealant to the entire casing between transfer box and the casing around the shaft (don't know the technical name) and block the drain hole Shocked needless to say there was an interesting conversation with the dealer.....

Well at least it won't leak on the drive any more.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Greadh on 1st May 2019 8:32pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #771116 1st May 2019 8:30pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
If it works.. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #771117 1st May 2019 8:32pm
Greadh

Quote:

If it works..

But it doesn't, that's the point. The oil from the transfer box will still leaking to the otherwise dry casing and I'd never know. In addition, I believe the drain hole is to allow any water etc. To freely drain out.

May be I expect too much, but I'd expect the input shaft seal to be replaced in such a way the leak is addressed opposed to masking the issue......
Post #771119 1st May 2019 8:36pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I always do mine like that. saves taking the whole transferbox off for a £2 seal when it does leak.
Post #771153 2nd May 2019 6:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Look on the bright side, eventually there may be enough oil in the adaptor shaft space to keep the infamous splined coupling lubricated.

Shocking for a main dealer though, personally I would not stand for that at all.
Post #771161 2nd May 2019 7:24am
Greadh

Although it sounds like I might be being a bit over sensitive as it seems a done thing - I'm not standing for it as I paid to have the shaft, seal etc replaced. It took them 3 months to come up with this idea having tried to replace it twice already....... I am working with the dealer on getting it rectified and all the other work checked out, by an independent, they admitted straight away it wasn't right, so some credit there.
Post #771196 2nd May 2019 10:31am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
push to get it fixed correctly that is a bodge and should not be allowed DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #771261 2nd May 2019 6:25pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I had a similar issue.

local dealer got a LR tech in and they concluded after 3 seals leaking following a replacement shaft the gearbox had become porous and they replaced the gearbox!

I'm not sure but can only assume LR got rid of all their engineers and now only employ buffoons to do their engineering?
Post #771263 2nd May 2019 6:31pm
Greadh

Dealer has agreed to have an independent engineer's report on all their work, i.e. gearbox off, check clutch, slave cylinder etc, split transfer box and check seals and intermediate shaft. They have in writing agreed to pay for this report, the dismantling and rebuilding. And a a garage of my choice......

To be honest I think it's costing them more in workshop time than it's worth to them. Might as well pay someone else to do the job correctly.

I would send it back to the dealer, but they have had it 3 months to get this far and they come up with this.
Post #771271 2nd May 2019 7:29pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Sounds like one of my fixes... had a new bulkhead fitted, anyway year or so later replaced the hinges, found one of the bolts had just been siliconed in place... rather than ordering one of them little bolt / clip things Whistle

I won't ever buy a new LR product again after the customer service we've received.
Post #771298 2nd May 2019 9:59pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
this is exactly why I would argue that an LR FSH isnt worth the paper it is stamped on. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #771305 3rd May 2019 5:19am
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
At most dealears the technical knowledge about defenders has gone. They don’t really know where to look and how to resolve problems. But there are exceptions. When I was om vacation in the South of France, i had a problem with the wiring to the turbo. The mechanic identified the problem immediately and had a quick fix so i could continue the journey for under a 100 euro. Top job!!

But.... i think the important but was he drive a defender himself and liked to tinker on the defender. So i guess that his vast knowledge came drom tinkering and not from the dealer. a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #771306 3rd May 2019 6:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1