Home > Tdi > First 300Tdi 90 - Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jeebs

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Barolo Black
First 300Tdi 90 - Advice
Hi folks,

Back on the forums after a brief (nearly 4 year) hiatus, although I was never a massively active forum member.

My previous 90, a 2012 2.2 was sadly written off and I have finally replaced it with a 1995 300Tdi 90.

New 90 has done 200k miles on with its original engine, gearbox (although it has had a referb) and chassis with minimal signs of a hard life. I am the 4th owner in its 23years on the roads, with it originally being perchased in London in Dec 1995, before making its way up to Lytham St Anne’s and then Windermere, prior to me purchasing it.

I have almost a full service history for the vehicle, including the original dealers service book, complete with stamps and all, up to around 176k miles, where it seems to have been looked after by Huddersfield Land Rover Centre.

Engine seems to be in good order, pulls well, no black smoke or starting issues, turbo boosts as it should and there are no visible oil leaks, that I can see at the very least. It seems to have an updated intercooler and expansion tank, with the egr blanked off.

Chassis is in cracking order for its age, with only 1 patch on the rear cross member. Although this seems to have been done to blank the opening for the tow bar electrics and they have been relocated lower down. Rust is minimal as it seems to have had regular treatments of dinitrol or waxoyl, although rear Crossmember is showing some signs of corrosion, but nothing major. Floor pans have been replaced, along with the battery box at some point but have been well fitted.

All diffs seems to function correctly, with high/low and diff locks engaging as they should, there is some drive line shunt and the brakes could do with a refresh from the feel of them. The steering is more direct than my Puma was, with very little play. The diffs do seem to be weeping somewhat, but it’s not leaving oil spots on the drive, thankfully.

Is there anything I really need to be on the lookout for?

My plans are:

Full service, cambelt (can’t verify when last done) and valve clearances checked. Brakes refreshed/updated

Dinitrol treatment ASAP.

Wiring sorted out, headlights changed for LEDs, along with a refresh of the other lights (position lamps etc)

Minor paintwork touchups where it has bubbled.

Bulkhead removal bar, new seats (they’re collapsed/very well worn) and seat rails, I’m 6ft 4” after all.

Is there anything huge I am missing or I should prioritise?

Look forward to your input and damn it feels good to be back!!
Post #769664 22nd Apr 2019 10:11pm
donmacn

Sounds good!

As you probably know, without any engine management electronics, there's not much to stop the 300tdi just rumbling along. It also sound as if you already have a plan for a few bits and pieces, and I reckon it's just a case of living with it for a while to see what might (or might not!) emerge.

Just two things I'd say...

First is security - if you've not been around the forums Defender theft has increased a lot in the last year or so. Even older models, especially in good nick, are being taken. May/may not be relevant depending on where you are and where you plan to use the car.

Second is Dinitrol. When I got mine done last year, the guy was really keen that I get in before the salt hit the roads otherwise you were just locking in problems. I guess the same would apply at the other end of the year - making sure the winter's salt is gone and washed off the chassis before treatment. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #769680 23rd Apr 2019 7:11am
Jeebs

Thanks, I’ve just realised it’s a 1996 not 1995, not that it makes much difference.

With what I do for a living I know all to well what sorts of vehicles go missing and when, although Defender thefts, in my area at least have dropped off a bit. It’s going to be well protected though as it is a weekend car for us, and probably won’t be used daily.

Like you’ve said it really is a case of living with it, and seeing what does or doesn’t crop up.

I’m happy with the “performance” (I’ve got a my daily to scratch that itch) but was wondering what little changes I can make to keep everything running well.

Do small mods like the revotec fan conversion make much of a difference?

I’m not massively mechanically minded, but can do bits (disks and pads). I have zero idea about electrical stuff.
Post #769686 23rd Apr 2019 9:44am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Sounds good, I have a 96 300Tdi with BFG ATs and spacers , 1" lowered springs all just to give a more comfortable ride but the first thing I did after bringing it back from Wales was to invest in soundproofing, roof, floors, bonnet and engine blanket. Dis not do Revotec (expensive but replaced viscous fan with a RDX electric fan. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #769687 23rd Apr 2019 9:52am
Jeebs

How did you wire the thermostatic fan?

I have a winch (non functional, or maybe I can’t work out how to work it) light bar and front spots to try and work out the routing for. They seem to have been run by somebody quite competent

I cant do with random wires or mess in the engine bay and like things to look as stock as possible.
Post #769734 23rd Apr 2019 6:02pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Full service, check the mechanicals and then just enjoy it. The best things you can do to keep everything running well are keep it standard, maintain it properly, and use it often.

Things like LED headlights are fashionable accessories but add little if anything of substance to the vehicle.

Removal of the viscous and installing an electric fan would be a retrograde step in my opinion.
Post #769767 23rd Apr 2019 8:53pm
Slideywindows

England 
Re: First 300Tdi 90 - Advice
Jeebs wrote:

Is there anything huge I am missing?

Well, and only because you asked:

From your description it sounds like you have bought a very nice 300Tdi in excellent condition.

If it is that nice at that age, you would be wise to keep it original and not alter anything, or personalise it.

Really nice 300Tdi's are getting few and far between and are worth good money in factory spec and well maintained.

My own 300Tdi is the same age as yours:

Click image to enlarge
Post #769780 23rd Apr 2019 9:25pm
Tompoole

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Replace....
Oils and filters
Water pump and p gasket
Timing belt

Check...
Wheel bearings
Master and slave cylinders
Grease props

Fill it up and have some fun 👍 Have fun be happy
Post #769796 23rd Apr 2019 10:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L110CDL

England 
As said, security and i service Millie every 6,000 miles ( which always comes first ) and she is on 354,000 now with a full service history and she is a January 1996.

Enjoy and it's good to have you back in the forum Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #769800 23rd Apr 2019 10:29pm
Jeebs

300 odd miles down after today, not missed a beat, although when cold, there is a little bit of black smoke on starting, I’m guessing diesel particulates sitting in the exhaust system, and a puff off white under acceleration. Once the engine is up to temp, it burns clean.

Been up over the M62 past Manchester and dropped back down home into West York’s, pulled really well on the gradients without having to work it too hard. Plenty left if I needed it.

I know trick headlights and bits and bobs don’t add much, but I can’t do dim headlights, they drive me up the wall. It was next on the list for the Puma before it headed to the knackers yard.

My priorities are underbody protection and a good service and belt change. I’m a bit spent up after that!!

The master plan is a vehicle that’s capable getting me and the mrs (and maybe friend too, although carrying the kit not them) away for a few days every few weeks, either camping or remote b&bs. I would like to do some green laning, and traverse BOATs where possible but nothing serious.

Ref the fans, I’m a bit ignorant, what are the pros and cons of each. My thinking was a thermostatic is a bit more modern and would reduce mechanical strain on the engine, giving a little better economy.

Forgot to mention, it’s a Beluga Black County from the factory, which I’m told is reasonably rare colour for a defender of this age.

Click image to enlarge
Post #769807 23rd Apr 2019 10:55pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Rare colour? Not sure I’ve seen that colour at that age from the factory. No doubt someone will highlight my limited knowledge! It does appear that you’ve bought a mechanically sound 300tdi, enjoy it, I love mine with an ridiculous passion 💪
Post #769809 23rd Apr 2019 11:04pm
Jeebs

I had a healthy dose of skepticism, but from what I can tell, it definitely came out the factory the colour it is now. Bulkhead and interior panels all match. No history of a colour change via HPI or V5.

From memory, I can’t remember seeing black defenders as a kid (I was 6 when mine was built) and can only remember “farmer spec” around where I grew up, so white, red, blue and green with the white defender decals up the side.

I’ve had a life long passion for Land Rover and I’m made up with what I’ve bought.
Post #769810 23rd Apr 2019 11:17pm
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
The early 300"s had the issue with the non drilled transfer gear,, causing output shaft wear, leading to a stripped shaft ,
the other issue was the bottom timing belt pully, , these should have been addressed by now, but my 300 hadn"t been , i just changed the timing pully for the flanged type 2 years ago, and mine had all service history,, mines in on 360,00 now ,,so plenty life in em , Cool
Post #769812 23rd Apr 2019 11:23pm
Jeebs

Luckily the gearbox was refurbed at a cost of around £1200 in feb 2018, so hopefully plenty of life left in that Laughing
Post #769814 23rd Apr 2019 11:37pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
A set of new headlight bowls, decent bulbs and a Landreizger relay loom will give you all the benefit of LEDs at a fraction of the cost, and with none of the downsides (i.e. look silly and don’t work in snow).

The viscous fan moves far more air than any electric one you could fit under there, puts no ‘strain’ on the engine, is very reliable and works with the radiator cowl. There are no advantages to fitting an electric one other than perhaps increased space in the engine bay. The myths about fuel economy and taking a load off the engine are all just that - myths. The viscous coupling means that when not needed the fan is just freewheeling.

A puff of black smoke on starting is normal, it’s a result of the injection pump’s internal settings which default to full throttle to aid starting.

Under body protection is not really required for green laning, as long as you drive with care and use a spotter where necessary.
Post #769832 24th Apr 2019 7:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>