Home > In Car Electronics > Running Voltage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Running Voltage
Hi All!

I've noticed something about the running voltage I see on my voltmeter attached via a lighter socket. Used to be, no load running is higher 13V-ish with load, lower 13V-ish to higher 12V-ish.

After getting dunked and resurrected, my 2011 Puma now reads higher 13V-ish at cold start up but as you go along, you get down to high 12V-ish. There are time during the drive, especially if I've been driving in heavy traffic conditions or all day, the meter would read lower 12V-ish and the vehicle feels heavy and then you would see the voltage run up to mid 12V-ish and the truck feels light and normal again.

Used to be that the voltage would even drop to higher 11V-ish before but I put copper sleeves in between the battery posts and clamps and that stabilized everything.

Anyone know why I'm experiencing this? The batter is kind of new as I got late last year as part of the resurrection but had to charge it us a few times before while we were working on the Puma so I don't think it could be the battery, right? Or could it?

Anything else you guys think I should check?
Post #770795 30th Apr 2019 1:34am
donmacn

Hi, I can't help on the specific question of the voltage as I've never had a voltmeter fitted, and my car is an old 300Tdi anyway.

But I was struck by your comments about the car feeling 'lighter' and 'heavier'. I think there's a risk that, when we think something's wrong that we imagine or attribute noises or 'symptoms' to our perceived fault.

Assuming you car is a diesel, then as far as I'm aware, the battery gets it started, and the current keeps the fuel solenoid open, but the engine is essentially running independently of the battery. Charging it if needed, but not putting any material draw or load on it? I guess the other issue, with more modern vehicles, is if the dunking has affected the ECU. I presume you've had that looked at somehow?

My apologies if this is completely obvious to you - not tyring to teach anyone the basics! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #770806 30th Apr 2019 7:36am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi Donald,

Thanks for the input, with regards to the items you pointed out, ECU is also new, so is the alternator.
Post #770848 30th Apr 2019 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1