Home > My Defender > Lucy, the 84' 110.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Byamin

New Zealand 1984 Defender 110 V8 Petrol HCPU Masai Red
Lucy, the 84' 110.
Hi all,

Ive had my 110 for a year and a bit now but never made a forum thread for it, so I guess this will be a bit of a documentation of the TLC it needs plus a travel log of its various journeys.

I had known it since 2014 as it was my friends grandfathers ute, its an original Masai red under Limestone cab chassis with a v8 and 4 speed. At some point in its life with I believe the first owner it had a mechanical failure resulting in the 3.5 being replaced with the 3.9 short block out of a discovery although the carbs were put back on so its hard to pick.

I bought it after the registration lapsed in 2017 due to its owner passing away and his widower no longer had any use for it. Unfortunately due to it sitting for around 3 years outside it was looking the worst it ever had and when she tried to re register it she was told the sum to get it road worthy or offered a sum by the local garage who were going to ... break it for parts. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

First thing that was done was to thoroughly clean it, polish it just to get a decent base to begin with. Plus I like shiny defenders. Rolling Eyes To get legal it required a bunch of bushes, steering box seal, more visible tail light mounting point, brake adjustment, centre seat to be removed and a couple of cracks to be welded. oh, and I installed a new rear section of the exhaust as the old one had a hole in the muffler large enough to home a cow.

All completed, carbs tuned (although may need redoing I believe) a service and it claimed daily driver duties.

Picture time.

First day at home.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The poor old thing was terribly faded.

Click image to enlarge

And WIP

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Front re assembled and deck painted with new sink plated coach bolts.

Click image to enlarge

in all i think it took around two months around other duties to get it road legal on to daily duties.

one night at uni, couldn't help but take a pic of it. Note the tarp in the back... water ingress manual hadn't yet been read.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for reading,

Ben

..... I guess id better not end without a picture of it off the sealed stuff.

here it is early last year up in the Nevis, a stunning bit of country in central Otago

Click image to enlarge

To be continued.
Post #770487 28th Apr 2019 11:20am
donmacn

....only a little bit jealous, of both the car and the location! Thanks for posting this - a pretty unusual vehicle from our point of view.

Thumbs Up Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #770491 28th Apr 2019 11:40am
Bows

Wales 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
That looks amazing, thanks for the motivation boost. 👍🏼 2006 TD5110 station wagon
1995 300Tdi 90 truck cab
1989 90 hard top with 200 tdi
1983 110 hard top
1983 110 Hi cap
1954 107 pick up
Post #770512 28th Apr 2019 1:44pm
Marksranson

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Wow... what a stunning looking Land Rover. All credit to you for getting that red to pop, it really looks fantastic.

Loving the photos 👍🏻
Post #770516 28th Apr 2019 2:30pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Awesome Bow down
Post #770529 28th Apr 2019 3:56pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Love it Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #770531 28th Apr 2019 4:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That is a lovely and unusual vehicle. I wonder if the stickers on the wings were original to your market, as they're from a Stage1 V8. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #770548 28th Apr 2019 6:11pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Very nice Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #770562 28th Apr 2019 7:14pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Good working truck, amazing what a bit of a clean does for the paint work. Thumbs Up
Post #770566 28th Apr 2019 7:30pm
yostumpy

nice, unusual, and very original, however I did prefer the original faded patina that it had compared to the polished look, but its still lovely 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #770574 28th Apr 2019 8:10pm
Byamin

New Zealand 1984 Defender 110 V8 Petrol HCPU Masai Red
Thanks for the nice replies, i'm assuming its the flat deck style that is unusual? over here ive seen more flat decks of varying designs than the pickup or HCPU 110 funny how theres a bit of variation with the regions.

The patina I wasnt a fan of on this purely because it was out of neglect in this case, and when he was alive it was always garaged and well kept, its still got lots of nice wear on it around door handles, sills, window frame where the paint has worn away.

And getting the thread closer to today, early last year the first trip.

The first trip was with a friend and we took it and another 4wd around Central Otago, Fiordland and Southland. This was the furthest it had gone in years and embarrassingly the first trip like this id driven myself. The deck was loaded up, water, tent high lift jack ect and covered with what appeared to be the most annoying tarp in existence with its consistent flapping no matter how it was secured.

Due to leaving late the first nights stay was in a small area off the main road as it was late the cab became the nights accomodation. Thumbs Up It wasn't too tight if you folded yourself up like a pretzel along the three rows of seats.

The first day in and the Nevis was the destination of choice, Bannockburn to Garston ascending 1300m, from memory it took us 5 hours to complete with rivers, cows and dust inhalation a new norm. Along the way the 110 caught a stone behind a backing plate, the OEM jack kept wanting to fall over so the red high lift came in to use. unfortunately as I acquired it with the ute it was a little seized and i had little clue on how to use it, thankfully a nice guy on a day trip did and we got it up and the wheel off. ... only to find the stone in the other wheel, without having to remove that wheel.
silly me.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

From here we pushed on to Te Anau and stayed at a motor camp where I pitched a tent, if the winds that were strong enough to slow the 110 to 80kph entering the town were an indication it was going to be a crummy night. It was.
The tent The worst man made thing known to man sprung a leak! so hiding out in the reception was a great vantage point to see the hills lit up from lightning followed by deep guttural thunder.

Back to the cab it was, that didn't leak. Much.

Off to milford, past the mirror lakes the divide and a few maniac tourists overtaking on blind corners, lead up to the Homer tunnel. The drivers door springing open on a larger right hand corner the only fault i could find.
Marvellous, Rover V8 in a tunnel.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At the tunnel your met by Kea, cold wind and Masssssive mountains. The radiator is now a tad leaky so the bonnets open at the chance to cool the old girl off and to assess the rate of leak, which was not yet too bad. luckily it remained not too bad.
From here you'll get to Milford sound descending a winding road that made the 3 - 2 change near on impossible and the brakes a little noisy. on the way down one or two fellow land rovers exchanged waves.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The way back down saw us stopping often due to an unfortunate thermostat failure in my friends car, silver lining was the photo ops.

Click image to enlarge

another nights stay in Te Anau and off to Invercargill to the transport museum, a group of classic Australian ford then an overnight in yet another place I've since forgotten the name of.

Next stop, Queenstown with an over night at Moke Lake. Moke lake is around 7 minutes out of Queenstown and due to it being a Department of Conservation camp ground the cost was drastically smaller.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And Moke Lake. the final destination before returning home.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Over all it was around 1500km and the ute didnt really miss a beat, besides the headlights dip beam vanishing at night, going down hill, around a blind corner with an on coming car approaching . . . Perfect.

Thanks for reading hopefully its not long winded, I tend to ramble.

Ben
Post #770601 28th Apr 2019 10:57pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Excellent write up and pics. Thanks for sharing. Keep em coming!
Post #770606 29th Apr 2019 6:16am
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Love it, keep the updates coming Thumbs Up
Post #770608 29th Apr 2019 6:22am
yostumpy

You seem to have an uncanny talent for storytelling. Excellent. 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #770614 29th Apr 2019 7:25am
yostumpy

You must take it back to the owners wife, just to say hello, I'm sure she would love to see her husbands pride and joy back in the land of the living. 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #770615 29th Apr 2019 7:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>