↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MAF issue with a '09 2.4ltr Defender Puma 110 wgn...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RobM

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alaska White
MAF issue with a '09 2.4ltr Defender Puma 110 wgn...
Gents...
I put my Puma in for a checkup/service and prior to going in for the service I had no issues with the Engine Check light coming on, but as we are planning a fairly big remote trip year into central Australian desert area, I wanted to have the cooling system checked out along with having to replace a cracked exhaust manifold. While in the shop I had them check the loudness of the injector rattle & check/clean the MAF sensor as well... They performed an Injector Pilot + Pump relearn but apparently it took a few goes before it seemed to work which according to the mechanic is a possible indication the injectors "may" be coming to their use by date (car has 175,000kms on the clock).

I picked up my Defender and it sounded great with the loud injector rattle gone & I drove the 40min drive home w/o any problems and that's where the Defender stayed until I returned from holidays. Upon my return home from holidays, I took the Defender for a drive and this is when the Engine Check light came on. Checked the code via the Scan GaugeII and it came up as P0100 (MAF related). The ScanGauge was unable to reset the code, so it was a trip back down to the workshop where the mechanic checked it out. He had a quick look over the connections, hoses, etc and all looked good. He reset the code and I was off home again. About 6kms from home, the Engine Chk light came on again. Phoned the mechanic and rebooked the car in for a checkup next month. In the meantime, I reset the code via my recently purchased Nanocom and I've been driving it around since for a few hundred kms w/o the engine check light coming up again until today when it popped its head up again - same code P0100.

My Question: With regards to replacement of the MAF - what is the better way to go? Genuine LR brand; OEM or aftermarket? I was quoted a BIG price from the LR mechanics and had a look online on LR Direct and the price for a good quality one was about $115AUD (part No: MHK501040A.M8 / Brand: Intermotor / Supplier: Bearmach) vs the LR brand at $290. Is the Intermotor a good reliable brand MAF sensor or should I spend the extra on the LR one?

Also, regarding the MAF and MAP sensors... Do these 2 sensors depend on each other? I'm very much still learning about how all this works... I assume the MAF measures the Airflow/volume coming into the Turbo and the MAP should measure the Air Pressure/Volume into the Air Intake Manifold and if these figures don't correlate then a fault code is generated ?? Is this right/wrong?

I was told by the mechanic that the code (P0100) will not affect the performance on my engine and to date it hasn't but as we are planning a remote trip into the Simpson Desert along the Madigan Line, I don't really want any electronic issues popping their heads up in the middle of the desert, especially with my family on board....

What are some of the common causes for the P0100 code to come up "other than" the MAF Sensor?

Extra info on vehicle: No leaks in the IC Hoses as these are all Silicon hoses. The previous owner had a larger aftermarket Intercooler fitted + an Engine Remap done...Vehcile has about 175,000kms on the clock. Drives and performance is great.

thanks in advance....

RobM Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
1996 LR Discovery Tdi300 (A)
2009 Defender PUMA 110Wgn
My TRPS: Rob's WikiLoc Trips
Post #769830 24th Apr 2019 7:12am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I've got an aftermarket Hella brand MAF and it has been fine so far (6 months). I can't remember what Unpaid, but it was substantially less that LR. I would look for one from an OEM brand such as Hella or Bosch rather than Bearmach or Britpart. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #769842 24th Apr 2019 8:49am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I had a similar problem with mine. I swapped the MAF for a new one but problem remained. I reverted back to original one. My warning light comes on when cruising on the motorway and I believe the cause is from the EGR value that recirculates the exhaust gasses. Iā€™m planning on removing mine for a good clean based on other forum users experiences.
Post #769845 24th Apr 2019 9:51am
RobM

With the Remap that mine has, I believe the operation of the EGR Valve has been disabled...

I'm surprised that there is no performance issues when this comes up...

rob

boxoftricks wrote:
I had a similar problem with mine. I swapped the MAF for a new one but problem remained. I reverted back to original one. My warning light comes on when cruising on the motorway and I believe the cause is from the EGR value that recirculates the exhaust gasses. Iā€™m planning on removing mine for a good clean based on other forum users experiences.
 Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #769847 24th Apr 2019 10:14am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Intermotor is ok. Some of the Hella on ebay are crap knockoff Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #769869 24th Apr 2019 1:08pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I had that code with sticky turbo vanes. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #769941 24th Apr 2019 10:16pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
A MAF sensor error doesn't mean there is an issue with the sensor, it is more than likely an airflow issue.

Replacing the part that tells you there is an issue is like replacing a smoke alarm because it makes a noise...
Post #769942 24th Apr 2019 10:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
An EGR can can cause MAF issues, but won't if it's blanked and what sort of state is the filter?
Is there any obstruction in the pipework and has the MAF been changed?

Brand wise, if it was me I' only go for either Genuine which is expensive or likely
Bosch as the Bosch logo and P/N I see on the actual MAF on mine in the first place. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ā›½ļøšŸ›¢ļøšŸ‘Øā€šŸ”§šŸ§°āš™ļø RED, WHITE & BOOST! šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§

Last edited by custom90 on 25th Apr 2019 12:35am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #769944 24th Apr 2019 10:33pm
RobM

jst wrote:
I had that code with sticky turbo vanes.

Interesting.... but how would this be related? The last 2 times the code came up was at Idle.... Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #769947 25th Apr 2019 12:00am
RobM

Badger110 wrote:
A MAF sensor error doesn't mean there is an issue with the sensor, it is more than likely an airflow issue.

Replacing the part that tells you there is an issue is like replacing a smoke alarm because it makes a noise...

True.... but what makes me think it might be related to the sensor is that when I purchased the car last year, I remember talking to the previous owner about was there any electrical issues and he did mention that he had gone through a couple of MAF sensors over the years that he owned it. When I ask about cost he said about $80 or so. Now knowing what sort of cost the LR ones are I'm wondering if he was putting cheaper ones in and whether over time these tend to fail earlier... Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #769948 25th Apr 2019 12:08am
MK

Have you tried at a Ford dealer (in case the maf is stuffed)?

P/N 6C11-12B579-AA Puma 110" SW

Post #769950 25th Apr 2019 12:18am
RobM

custom90steve wrote:
An EGR can cause MAF issues, but won't if it's blanked and what sort of state is the filter?
Is there any obstruction in the pipework and has the MAF been changed
?

Brand-wise, if I try was me I don't only go for either Genuine which is expensive or likely
Bosch as the Bosch logo and P/N I see on the actual MAF on mine in the first place.

The filter is in a good condition but I'm not sure how this would affect the MAF unless u are referring to letting dust and crap through... This whole MAF related engine check light coming on only started after the mechanic cleaned it. Prior to that - no issues at all.

From my very limited knowledge and understanding... the MAF measures the Air Flow (including Air Volume?) between Air Filter and Turbo and the MAP measures the Air Pressure(including Air Volume?) post turbo to Air Intake Manifold. So I assume that these 2 sensors work in conjunction with each other and if there is a difference, then a Fault Code would be generated - Would this be somewhat correct or am I totally off the mark??

The previous owner had changed the MAF a few times over the years that he had owned it and said that the cost of the MAF were only about $80 or so. From that I assume he wasn't putting the factory LR ones in.... Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #769951 25th Apr 2019 12:20am
MK

AFAIK maf also measures intake temperature and if the maf is faulty, then the map read some learned numbers......do not know more. Puma 110" SW

Post #769953 25th Apr 2019 12:24am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Need the full fault code for more info - P0100 just means it's the MAF, there's a more specific code that will pinpoint things.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #769992 25th Apr 2019 12:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RobM

Nanocom and list of Fault CODES - What's the Go?
Guys...

I've recently tried testing out the NEW Nanocom that I recently purchased on my Defender and I have a couple of questions...

When scanning for any fault codes, there is 2 options: (1) READ TESTED and (2) READ NOT TESTED.

I assume that (1) is when the fault code is there permanently &/or intermittently?
I assume that (2) is when the fault code was present but then disappeared/cleared itself and is no longer present/current??

I performed a scan in each section and got the following:

I'm currently having the Engine Check light coming up on my Dash and the following code on my ScanGauge (SGII) is only P0100, but the Nanocom also shows an intermittent P0403 (see below):

(1)- FAULT 1 OF 2
ECU: Engine Management
CODE:P0100
Mass or volume air flow circuit
(PERMANENT)
FREQUENCY MODULATION/PULSE WIDTH MODULATION FAILURE - SIGNAL FREQUENCY IS TOO LOW.

FAULT 2 OF 2
CODE:P0403
Exhaust gas recirculation control circuit
(INTERMITTENT)
GENERAL ELECTRICAL FAILURE - CIRCUIT RESISTANCE ABOVE THRESHOLD.

===========================================

These CODES below only show up on the Nanocom (not on the SGII) and I "believe" that these are "old" codes that are no longer present... Is that correct?

(2)- READ ā€“ NOT TESTED
FAULT 1 OF 2
CODE:P0606
Engine control module/powertrain control module processor / Control module processor
(NOT TESTED DTC, PERMANENT)
SYSTEM INTERNAL FAILURE - INTERNAL ELECTRONIC FAILURE.

FAULT 2 OF 2
CODE:P0234
Turbo/supercharger overboost condition
(NOT TESTED DTC, PERMANENT)
GENERAL FAILURE INFORMATION - NO SUBTYPE INFORMATION.

Looking for Comments/ideas? I'm assuming that my MAF might be up for replacement as I've had a look at the Silicon Hoses/clamps/ MAF connection and it all "looks" normal... Cheers.....
Rob

1995 Defender Tdi 110Wgn
Post #770140 26th Apr 2019 7:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>