↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 Cats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alextd5

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Td5 Cats
I have a couple of td5 cats which I’ve taken of my 90s, are they worth much ? Scrap or sell ?
Post #768628 14th Apr 2019 9:22pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
I don’t think diesel “CATS” or particulate filters, are worth much. Although they are no cheaper to buy than petrol ones.

I also have two in the shed.
Post #768939 17th Apr 2019 8:59am
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
The platinum inside these are worth $$$ over here. Thumbs Up 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #768965 17th Apr 2019 2:29pm
Raywin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Re: Td5 Cats
Alextd5 wrote:
I have a couple of td5 cats which I’ve taken of my 90s, are they worth much ? Scrap or sell ?

Did you take them off because they were no good, or are they still OK? Ray
Post #769699 23rd Apr 2019 11:14am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The original on mine was not working. Land Rover wanted a joke £900 for one, so l fitted a used one. That was no better so l bought the Britpart one at £250

At last, an MOT.

The first Britpart one wouldn’t seal at
The manifold joint so l sent it back. The replacement didn’t line up at the centre box and l had to drill out the mounting holes to get the bolts to locate. It lasted two years (24,000 miles) then failed emissions. Currently l am on the look out for an alternative as l’m not paying £250 every two years.
Post #770224 26th Apr 2019 1:59pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't understand how the cat performance caused you to fail an emissions test at MOT time, since the tests currently run cannot test the efficacy of the cat. You should even pass an MOT with no problem with a decat pipe fitted as long as the tester doesn't notice.

You're not meaning a DPF by any chance? I presume not since this is in a thread entitled "Td5 Cats".
Post #770230 26th Apr 2019 3:10pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
No, unless the DPF is a CAT shaped piece in the pipe that connects the manifold to the centre exhaust box!

I had assumed that’s why it was failing emissions. Although it passed this year after l was told last year that the CAT “wasn’t working”
Post #770305 26th Apr 2019 8:57pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Catalytic converters work by turning CO and unburnt fuel into CO2 and water but that isn't what a diesel emission test looks for. However, a by product of the process is that it can reduce soot, which is what the current test measures. Typically though, diesel engines will pass the emission test even if the cat has been remove so there's something odd going on with your setup.

If you're knackering a cat every couple of years then that, to me, suggests a more fundamental problem with the engine. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #770311 26th Apr 2019 9:15pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The current emissions test cannot tell if the cat is even present on a diesel, so that won't be the reason it's failed.

It doesn't inspire confidence in your test station.

I don't see how you can be damaging cats repeatedly since there's no way to know that it's damaged (unless the flange breaks off like mine did).
Post #770312 26th Apr 2019 9:21pm
dorsetsmith

lightning wrote:
The original on mine was not working. Land Rover wanted a joke £900 for one, so l fitted a used one. That was no better so l bought the Britpart one at £250

At last, an MOT.

The first Britpart one wouldn’t seal at
The manifold joint so l sent it back. The replacement didn’t line up at the centre box and l had to drill out the mounting holes to get the bolts to locate. It lasted two years (24,000 miles) then failed emissions. Currently l am on the look out for an alternative as l’m not paying £250 every two years.

your test station selling you replacement CAT Whistle
Post #770324 27th Apr 2019 6:11am
lightning

United Kingdom 
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Catalytic converters work by turning CO and unburnt fuel into CO2 and water but that isn't what a diesel emission test looks for. However, a by product of the process is that it can reduce soot, which is what the current test measures. Typically though, diesel engines will pass the emission test even if the cat has been remove so there's something odd going on with your setup.

If you're knackering a cat every couple of years then that, to me, suggests a more fundamental problem with the engine.

There has always been an issue with this Defender, it doesn’t like remaps and produces a smokescreen when remapped. When l first got it, l found that the exhaust was noxious and fumes got into the cab if l was stopped.
I had it looked at, and was told it was clear that “something was happening” with it, but they couldn’t find anything.

Since then l have done about 50,000 miles. The exhaust fumes smell in the cab has gone, it’s had the EGR valve deleted, various parts changed and a complete new OE exhaust among other things.

MPG is fine at around 26-28 and it starts/runs really well.

It still doesn’t like remaps. Despite the Dynachip remap bring turned down twice, it still produces a cloud of white unburnt diesel smoke if you floor it at low RPM.
Post #770329 27th Apr 2019 7:18am
Alextd5

Ray

Nothing wrong with them I’ve always fitted stainless exhausts with decats. Clearing out one of the sheds and decided it’s time they went!
Post #770509 28th Apr 2019 12:04pm
Raywin

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Mine must be blocked up, when I fitted a de cat downpipe the difference was very noticable, but I fear that the MOT people will soon be jumping on things like this which are not so easy to cover up.
I have been toying with the idea of getting a spare one if I could pick it up at a reasonable price, but I find so many E-Bay items are sold be people who replace items and then put the old one on there, I bought a viscous fan like thiat, Ive had more sucess buying on forums like this where people tend to be genuine. Ray
Post #770511 28th Apr 2019 12:38pm
Alextd5

Ray

Always worth checking the forum first.

If you take a look on allisport they do a decat pipe but with the shell of a cat, so no questions asked at the test station.

Demand engineering also make them and they look really nice.. worth spending the money and getting a complete stainless exhaust, if not I think the just the decat pipe with shell will work well for you.
Post #770513 28th Apr 2019 12:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1