↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > battery disconnect on ignition?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
deaallen

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
battery disconnect on ignition?
I'm a little worried about the latest "quirk" my truck has seemed to develop Rolling Eyes

I had the key in the ignition, once the glow plug light went off I turned the key to start the engine and everything just cuts out as if the battery had been disconnected. Alarm sounds, dash lights all go out, radio cuts off Confused

after about 5 seconds I open the drivers door and take the key out, then try again and it just starts up as if everything is back to normal.

I have no idea whats going on. I installed a fresh new battery back in December because the old one had died, the only thing electronically I've done recently is changed the wiper relay to a VW .99 one which I did yesterday - Could this have caused the problem?
Post #767873 9th Apr 2019 5:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check your battery connections are tight, and that underseat Relays are seated nicely as a starting point. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 9th Apr 2019 5:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #767874 9th Apr 2019 5:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Highly likely to be a faulty ignition switch. This has come up several times recently and I'm sure a quick search will find posts from Stacey007 and others. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #767875 9th Apr 2019 5:42pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ah, scratch that - I misread the bit about the alarm sounding. Mor likely to be battery connections as Steve says. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #767876 9th Apr 2019 5:44pm
deaallen

custom90steve wrote:
Check your battery connections are tight, and that underseat Relays are seated nicely as a starting point. Thumbs Up

Ah sorry I should have mentioned that I had checked all those and they are tight and seated correctly. Could me changing the wiper relay to that .99 one cause this kind of problem?
Post #767880 9th Apr 2019 6:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Unlikely, worth checking the earth strap on the transfer box too as it sounds like an earth issue possibly as all the things you mentioned are combined.

Have you had the gearbox taken out recently at all for a clutch or similar event!

I had issues once as the connection was dirty and not tightened up. Once cleaned, and tightened properly the issues I had went.

Even if it appears okay, on inspection these earth points can be loose and suffer corrosion or be dirty.

It maybe worth checking the IPAC (Instrument cluster) connector to the rear is firmly connected too but keep checking the most common problem points first as often these are the culprits. You could also try adding pemporary earth points as well which is relatively easy.

Have you tested the battery voltage at rest and that you have adequate charging current when the engine is running? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #767883 9th Apr 2019 6:18pm
deaallen

Ah ok thanks I'll be sure to check the earth on the transfer box. I haven't had the gearbox off yet but the clutch is on its way out so It'll be coming off soon I'm sure.

I'll also check the IPAC as I have had this out a few different times this last year. With regard to the battery no not yet, I'll add it to the list of things ot check

Thanks again for your suggestions Thumbs Up
Post #767888 9th Apr 2019 6:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1