↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Suggestions for storage area of 110 Utility
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
newton-tony

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red
Suggestions for storage area of 110 Utility
I have just taken delivery of a 2014 110 Utility - the load area has no rubber matting or protection on the wheel arches.

I tried searching on the forum, so apologies if answered elsewhere, but what would people recommend for protection, noise reduction and functionality?

Rubber fitted mat? If so, which? Chequer plate? Something else?

I am already planning to fit MUD side panels at the weekend Smile

Many thanks.
Post #766458 1st Apr 2019 9:44pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey

Click image to enlarge

Mine. Noisekiller on the floor and wheelarch sides, dynamat on the upper sides, carpet and TGE sidepanels (dynamat behind). Very nice and quiet now Smile

Also took the rear door panel off when I fitted the gas strut... filled with dynamat and dinitrol Thumbs Up

rubber mat to protect the carpet is a naka one from Brendan/Barbara at Overlander4x4 Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #766486 2nd Apr 2019 9:23am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I've a similar Utility but with rear windows and embarking on a similar project. Decided to go for rubber matting rather than carpets.

So fat I've stripped out the back of the truck. I've ordered some sealent to run around all the panel joins to try and reduce water ingress.

I've ordered 4mm silent coat mat (two bulk packs):

https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-extra-4mm-mat

I'm going to cover with this 5mm closed cell foam (8m sq):

https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php

It's so much cheaper than the silent coat and as far as I can tell very similar.

Then over the floor and rear load area cover with marine ply (not sure of thickness yet but think 6mm so I can screw edge to edge and use waterproof No More Nails. This will stop any point loads from damaging the foam on the floor.

Finally on top seal it all using this rubber matting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDCI-110-utilit...2749.l2649

The silent coat and foam will continue under the second row seats and footwell. The footwell will have ply across it and then finished with this rubber matting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Q4...&psc=1

On top of that I've ordered a second row floor mat to take the main wear and tear from football boots etc.

I'm then going to use black anodised aluminium angle where needed. I'll spec this once everything else is in place.

I'll then take the door cards off and silent coat where I can.

The plan is a quieter robust child proof flooring.....but knowing my darlings they will figure out a way to trash it Big Cry

Once I've done the the back I'll take out the front seats and plan to do Silent Coat and Foam over front seat box and footwells. Then the current moulded matting will go back on top. Finally I may do the bulk head but planning on stages as I need to keep her on the road.

I'd also like to put some protection up under the wheel arches as you can see that stones have been flicked up and dented the aluminium above the wheels. Not quite sure just what yet.

Hope that helps.
Post #766489 2nd Apr 2019 9:29am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
MartinK wrote:
Noisekiller on the floor and wheelarch sides, dynamat on the upper sides, carpet and TGE sidepanels (dynamat behind). Very nice and quiet now Smile

What carpet did you use, Martin? I keep looking at the LRI kit but I'm pretty sure that there's a LR option, too. Either that or cut my own, but that's a lot of faffing, given the wheel box shape. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #766490 2nd Apr 2019 9:34am
newton-tony

MartinK wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Mine. Noisekiller on the floor and wheelarch sides, dynamat on the upper sides, carpet and TGE sidepanels (dynamat behind). Very nice and quiet now Smile

Also took the rear door panel off when I fitted the gas strut... filled with dynamat and dinitrol Thumbs Up

rubber mat to protect the carpet is a naka one from Brendan/Barbara at Overlander4x4

Many thanks - I have TGE side panels on my current 90, but think they stopped production. Have purchased MUD panels and nets so will be fitting this weekend.
Post #766491 2nd Apr 2019 9:46am
newton-tony

boxoftricks wrote:
I've a similar Utility but with rear windows and embarking on a similar project. Decided to go for rubber matting rather than carpets.

So fat I've stripped out the back of the truck. I've ordered some sealent to run around all the panel joins to try and reduce water ingress.

I've ordered 4mm silent coat mat (two bulk packs):

https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-extra-4mm-mat

I'm going to cover with this 5mm closed cell foam (8m sq):

https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-polyethylene-foam.php

It's so much cheaper than the silent coat and as far as I can tell very similar.

Many thanks for all the guidance and advice - this will certainly keep me busy for a while Thumbs Up

Then over the floor and rear load area cover with marine ply (not sure of thickness yet but think 6mm so I can screw edge to edge and use waterproof No More Nails. This will stop any point loads from damaging the foam on the floor.

Finally on top seal it all using this rubber matting:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TDCI-110-utilit...2749.l2649

The silent coat and foam will continue under the second row seats and footwell. The footwell will have ply across it and then finished with this rubber matting:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072Q4...&psc=1

On top of that I've ordered a second row floor mat to take the main wear and tear from football boots etc.

I'm then going to use black anodised aluminium angle where needed. I'll spec this once everything else is in place.

I'll then take the door cards off and silent coat where I can.

The plan is a quieter robust child proof flooring.....but knowing my darlings they will figure out a way to trash it Big Cry

Once I've done the the back I'll take out the front seats and plan to do Silent Coat and Foam over front seat box and footwells. Then the current moulded matting will go back on top. Finally I may do the bulk head but planning on stages as I need to keep her on the road.

I'd also like to put some protection up under the wheel arches as you can see that stones have been flicked up and dented the aluminium above the wheels. Not quite sure just what yet.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for all the guidance and advice - this will certainly keep me busy for a while Thumbs Up
Post #766492 2nd Apr 2019 9:48am
MartinK

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
MartinK wrote:
Noisekiller on the floor and wheelarch sides, dynamat on the upper sides, carpet and TGE sidepanels (dynamat behind). Very nice and quiet now Smile

What carpet did you use, Martin? I keep looking at the LRI kit but I'm pretty sure that there's a LR option, too. Either that or cut my own, but that's a lot of faffing, given the wheel box shape.

Darren - mine's a 2011 "County" so the carpets came fitted, I took them out to fit the Noisekiller and Dynamat...
Cheers Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #766500 2nd Apr 2019 11:20am
newton-tony

Hi Martin - is there an obvious place where I should use Noisekiller versus Dynamat? Or is it personal choice and interchangeable?

Edit:

I found this after positing: https://itstoonoisy.com/noise-killer-vs-dynamat/ Not sure if you agree...
Post #766501 2nd Apr 2019 11:25am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
MartinK wrote:
Darren - mine's a 2011 "County" so the carpets came fitted, I took them out to fit the Noisekiller and Dynamat...

Ah, OK. Thanks. Perhaps I'll have chat with Dan at Duckworths. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #766504 2nd Apr 2019 11:55am
Sphere

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Keswick Green
I have the TGE panels however have a issue with them falling off. Keep sticking them back up with new tape but never works. Need to improve which I guess can be done with a little stronger glue but I am the only one with this issue.

Really happy with them mind look great and do reduce the noise.
Post #766545 2nd Apr 2019 4:15pm
newton-tony

I double checked and mine are attached by self tapping screws - in the back of my 90 Utility, so looks like different fitting

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #766546 2nd Apr 2019 4:23pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Made my own carpeted panels.
Post #766553 2nd Apr 2019 5:00pm
newton-tony

Very smart
Post #766558 2nd Apr 2019 5:11pm
MartinK

newton-tony wrote:
Hi Martin - is there an obvious place where I should use Noisekiller versus Dynamat? Or is it personal choice and interchangeable?

Edit:

I found this after positing: https://itstoonoisy.com/noise-killer-vs-dynamat/ Not sure if you agree...

Tony

I started with Noisekliier (after driving on wet roads are realising how loud that was!) kit in the rear tub. I added Dynamat later behind the TGE panels and inside the back door. It wasn't by design, jut the process I followed as I did it in steps. I do prefer the NK in the base of the floor as it doesn;t stick, it's just a mat under the carpet...so it it ever needs to come out it's easier! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #766611 3rd Apr 2019 9:49am
newton-tony

Thanks Martin and very helpful.
Post #766623 3rd Apr 2019 11:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>