Home > Td5 > TD5 hard to start when warm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrworf

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 Td5 HT Coniston Green
TD5 hard to start when warm
Hello.
I've tried reading the posts ref difficult to start TD5's but I'm not sure my specific symptom is covered. So please forgive me raking up an old subject.
Had major starting issues on my newly acquired 1999 Def 90 TD5. So it had new fuel filter housing inc air bleed valve, new injector o rings and washers, replacement 2nd hand tank pump and FPR and crank sensor. Eventually a new starter motor seemed to fix it. The old one was draining current at such a rate, the injectors wouldn't fire !
But now, after a few hundred miles and a few months later, the symptoms have returned. Crying or Very sad
It usually starts fine when cold. But if it's warm, it takes a really long time cranking before it starts. But when it's running, it seems fine. Pulling and idling with no problems. Even if you switch off and wait for just 30 seconds, it can take an age to fire up. (like 5 seconds cranking for example).
I'm interested to see if anyone has any ideas given the strange coming and going of the problem I've experienced. Could it dirt / clogged filter / return valve for example ? Just strange how when it IS running it seems fine.
Interested to hear your ideas.
Thank you in advance.
Post #766148 30th Mar 2019 9:08pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
In regards to the starter does it click or does it engage the engine straight away?

Also do you clutch down to start engine?

Also stupid question but for how long do you engage at position 2 before engaging cranking position with the key?

I would check oil level.

Seems odd that it has trouble starting warm but has no problems when up and running... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #766155 30th Mar 2019 9:39pm
mrworf

Thanks Osloblue for your reply.

Starter (new) engages straight away and cranks at a really good speed.
I do depress the clutch to start as I assume this takes a load off the starter.
I hold at position 2 until the engine and glow plug lights go out. This usually coincides with the noise from the fuel pump changing tone. I assume this means the fuel has reached pressure.
I will check the oil again today. The oil level rising was the main indicator I needed the injector seals changing which I've done.
I have to be honest - The "warm" thing is making me worry I have a cracked head. But it just doesn't ring true that the problem went away and now it's back again.
I might try swapping the crank sensor again ??

Cheers.
Post #766226 31st Mar 2019 11:04am
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
Does it bump start ok?? I've heard of starters spiking and upsetting the crank position sensor.

I changed mine twice because if these issues and the current starter is fine. I have heard of people putting shielding between the two 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #766228 31st Mar 2019 11:09am
mrworf

Hi Gazman - Thanks for your reply.
IF the symptoms are an exact repeat of last time - then yes it will bump start instantly.
I have to be honest, I haven't tried this time round. It's only just started happening again and I was so frustrated, I just came in, threw the keys down and cracked a can !
I will try, as you say this would rule out fuel pressure and point more to the injectors not firing wouldn't it ?
Thanks for bringing me back to a logical way of thinking. Smile

Any ideas on what people have done to shield the crank sensor ?
Post #766229 31st Mar 2019 11:29am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
The crank sensor is (should be) already connected via a shielded cable, the shield is a bare wire connected into the ECU, obviously worth checking it's still connected.

TBH though, I would have thought a loss of shielding here would have more impact while starting from cold, as the starter motor will take more current to start a cold engine than a warm/hot one.

It might be interesting to see if there are any fault codes logged, I wouldn't hold my breath here though, maybe some live data could shed some light on it?
Post #766232 31st Mar 2019 12:01pm
mrworf

Hi Clive, Thank you.

The thing is, before I had the car, someone has already replaced the crank sensor wire with just two wires to the connector. A pos and a neg I expect. So the coaxial type wire has long since gone. So I know I'm at a disadvantage from the word go. But I just don't get why it suddenly started to happen again.

Even down to the fact that I did a tip run yesterday, started no problem at home or at the tip (twice). But come a trip to sainsbury in the afternoon, and it's back. Took ages to start in the car park, and repeated attempts at home again, just to check it wasn't a one off, and still took ages to start.

I think I'm best to do all the checks mentioned here - the oil, bump starting and maybe the diags.
Otherwise I'm working in the dark a bit.

Thanks for your help.
Post #766239 31st Mar 2019 1:15pm
gazman

I know this sounds crackers but when my starter played up I drove mine on the starter the few yards to the steep hill I live on using the starter motor more than once and bumped it on that.
I live on the end house and the road next to me is really steep. It always kicked into life straight away and only did it when it was hot. Didn't matter what I did, jump starts off other cars etc so I had 14v didnt help. It always turned over fast and the starter was strong enough to move the landy on the key. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
Post #766243 31st Mar 2019 1:37pm
mrworf

Thanks Gazman.

So what you're saying is despite having a seemingly strong starter, by changing it you god rid of the problem.
Then this is definitely worth me trying again Gazman, because there's no question that it was the starter that cured it last time. Can I ask which one you went for that's working ok at the moment ?
The one I've got on at the moment was a new one off ebay (about £70) as I was unsure I needed it at the time.
Did you invest in an original Factory one ?
Cheers again - great help to know you had seemingly the very same problem as me.
Post #766268 31st Mar 2019 5:37pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Do you still have your original starter? You can get the original item refurberd, but you can’t copy ones.
Post #766271 31st Mar 2019 6:04pm
mrworf

Landy Andy, I don't.
But before going for a new one, I did replace the solenoid contacts in case the old worn ones were causing the electrical interference. But with no joy.
It wasn't sounding healthy. Someone told be it had probably been ruined by an old diesel leak from the FPR.
It was draining current. The battery dropped to about 8.5 volts while cranking. Apparently too low to allow the injectors to fire.
Cheers for the idea though.
Post #766309 31st Mar 2019 8:26pm
gazman

mrworf wrote:
Thanks Gazman.

So what you're saying is despite having a seemingly strong starter, by changing it you god rid of the problem.
Then this is definitely worth me trying again Gazman, because there's no question that it was the starter that cured it last time. Can I ask which one you went for that's working ok at the moment ?
The one I've got on at the moment was a new one off ebay (about £70) as I was unsure I needed it at the time.
Did you invest in an original Factory one ?
Cheers again - great help to know you had seemingly the very same problem as me.

I had the original overhauled as I still had it after buying a cheapo that was causing problems not engaging or skipping on the flywheel. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
Post #766370 1st Apr 2019 12:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1