Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
All new UK cars to have speed limiters by 2022 under EU plan
Gammon will boil.

A couple of quotes.

Quote:
All new cars sold in the UK and Europe are to be fitted with devices to automatically stop drivers from exceeding the speed limit under sweeping changes to vehicle safety rules provisionally agreed by the EU.

Although Britain may no longer be part of the EU when the rules come into effect, the UK regulator, the Vehicle Certification Agency, has said it will mirror safety standards for vehicles in the UK.

The speed limiter is one of a range of safety features to be made mandatory from 2022, along with automated emergency braking, electronic data recorders and improved visibility built into lorries for drivers to see vulnerable cyclists and pedestrians around the vehicle.

Quote:
The package of measures needs to be ratified by the European parliament, which is likely by September.

The speed limiter device, called intelligent speed assistance, or ISA, uses GPS data and sign recognition cameras to detect speed limits where the car is travelling, and then will sound a warning and automatically slow down the vehicle if it is exceeding the limit.

However, drivers will be able to override the device simply by pushing hard on the accelerator, reassuring some motoring groups that have argued that in certain situations – such as when trying to swiftly overtake a vehicle in front – speeding up could be safer.

Read full article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar...r-eu-plans
Post #765598 27th Mar 2019 8:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No doubt by further removing the need for driver intelligence this will make the roads appreciably less safe than they currently are. I can well imagine that many people will simply drive on the limiter all the time, and rely upon the emergency braking feature to keep them alive. I imagine also that your car won't work if there's no GPS signal.

The lawmakers are progressively turning the world into a place I don't want to inhabit! Time for the revolution or other mass extinction event!
Post #765606 27th Mar 2019 9:32am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Yes, similar to the current automatic headlights. Dusk or heavy rain and drivers don't have the wit to turn on the headlights manually.

Other problem is who is receiving the GPS information? How long until it's stored centrally and we're all tracked?
Post #765615 27th Mar 2019 10:52am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
So, is it the case that the UK "Vehicle Certification Agency" can change the law without parliamentary or judicial approval ? http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #765624 27th Mar 2019 11:44am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Boy am I glad I'm heading towards the end of my driving career rather than just starting out. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #765626 27th Mar 2019 11:49am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There is a looming problem that is being discussed in road safety circles at the moment that there isn't currently an answer to. As vehicles are fitted with more and more automated safety features such as auto emergency breaking and collision avoidance, other road users (pedestrian and cyclists) will start to change their behaviour to take advantage.

If you wanted to cross a busy main road in the knowledge that the vehicles will automatically stop if you stepped into the road, at least a portion of us will start to do that. Why wait for a gap or walk to the crossing when you can step out information front of a truck and watch it do a full on emergency stop to serenely stroll across the road? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #765627 27th Mar 2019 11:49am
blackwolf

^^ Which is marvellous, since the people doing it will by definition be exceptionally stupid, and therefore won't be able to tell the difference between a car which has the technology to avoid them and one which does not. Over time, therefore, these people should become extinct.

I have to say that I am quite looking forward to "playing" with these autonomous cars in my non-autonomous Defender.

Last edited by blackwolf on 27th Mar 2019 2:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #765630 27th Mar 2019 12:21pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
You will now get people flooring it at red lights when they turn green.

Automatic dimming headlights are a stupid idea as they never work, especially down bendy country lanes.

I say a video where a couple of chaps tested the crash avoidance on a Tesla by driving in formation and tightening the formation, they did it 1 in the morning etc, but they were convinced that if you flicked out in front of them the car could be easily crashed. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #765632 27th Mar 2019 12:39pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Will it work....

My wifes car 'reads the speed limits' and signs with a combination of GPS and Camera. Its great showing you the spped of the road you are on in front on the head up screen........

HOWEVER

Your in a 50 MPH zone and enter a 30 MPH zone, its changes maybe 100m after the zone change. Its OK now as we can use our eyes, see the sign and slow down before the zone change (and usual camera that is close) But in a 2022 car unless this systems gets radically better.....if your not watching 'fully' and assuming the car will slow down for you, its 100m too late

Not sure in the real world how this will work.
Post #765633 27th Mar 2019 12:59pm
blackwolf

OsloBlue wrote:
You will now get people flooring it at red lights when they turn green.

Round here they already do that!

They also, as far as I can tell, "push hard on the accelerator" most of the time, so no doubt they will continue to do so.

A much more effective (though no more popular approach) would be rather than slow the car to a speed limit, have the car automatically report that it is speeding and generate an automatic fine and points for the driver.
Post #765645 27th Mar 2019 2:20pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The more we become reliant on GPS technology the more limited we become! What happens if for one reason or another satellite tech is turned off. At present we all rely on NAVSTAR Global Positioning System controlled by the USA.

An alternative once it is fully live will be the Galileo global navigation satellite system, however, as the EU has told us once we leave the EU the UK will not be part of it so we are at the USA and EU’s mercy when it comes to GPS.

How easy is it to Jam GPS very easy in fact our Government and army do it all the time:

The Ministry of Defence conducts occasional tests on military systems which may result in some loss of service to civilian users of the Global Positioning System (GPS) including in-car navigation devices and networks which rely on GPS signals.’

If anyone wishes to know what areas GPS may be turned off the government has a website telling you https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/informat...-exercises For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #765655 27th Mar 2019 2:52pm
OsloBlue

That’s correct gill, you can get GPS guided bombs, cruise missiles and artillery shells.

Back in the Balkan wars they would hit stuff just by giving a 6 figure grid and nine line (nine line takes about 3 minutes to brief, repeat and confirm) and the bomb would usually hit within the grid square. But would most likely have to be guided to target by a laser etc.

These days you can go round with a £100 forested 101, grab some 24 figure grids for pre laid fire positions and have ordinance on target in 30 seconds.

Even more scary is the fact that mobile phones have to emit GPS signals to stay in sync with satellites. So you could effectively say to the ordnance, “this phone is emitting GPS coordinates, use them for targeting.” You could effectively paint yourself as a target, which is what happened to many jihadis recently.

Recently the US managed to prove that the Donetsk and Luhansk rebels were supported by Russian federal ground forces because they followed social media profiles of serving Russian soldiers and tracked the ping signal from their phones to coordinates located within these republics...

Technically they could prove your location at the site of crimes if you took your phone with you...

Fascinating yet terrifying stuff really. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #765663 27th Mar 2019 3:38pm
OsloBlue

Also just to add to that gill

I think, if I remember my radio classes correctly:

GPRS is easy to jam, as the signal is relayed via radio to a tower which then uplinks to satellites. The radio is what is easy to jam. I think this is 2g/E on mobile data

GPS is a signal quadrangluation with direct upload to satellites. And is harder (but still available) to jam, as it is predominantly microwave comms. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #765665 27th Mar 2019 3:48pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
OsloBlue wrote:
That’s correct gill, you can get GPS guided bombs, cruise missiles and artillery shells.

Back in the Balkan wars they would hit stuff just by giving a 6 figure grid and nine line (nine line takes about 3 minutes to brief, repeat and confirm) and the bomb would usually hit within the grid square. But would most likely have to be guided to target by a laser etc.

These days you can go round with a £100 forested 101, grab some 24 figure grids for pre laid fire positions and have ordinance on target in 30 seconds.

Even more scary is the fact that mobile phones have to emit GPS signals to stay in sync with satellites. So you could effectively say to the ordnance, “this phone is emitting GPS coordinates, use them for targeting.” You could effectively paint yourself as a target, which is what happened to many jihadis recently.

Recently the US managed to prove that the Donetsk and Luhansk rebels were supported by Russian federal ground forces because they followed social media profiles of serving Russian soldiers and tracked the ping signal from their phones to coordinates located within these republics...

Technically they could prove your location at the site of crimes if you took your phone with you...

Fascinating yet terrifying stuff really.

That's how the septics have been getting Middle Eastern baddies. Well the ones they aren't selling arms to anyway.

If Mohammed spends a bit too long on the sat phone talking about Man U's dip in form/forgets to disconnect the sat nav on the S-Class/posts his Top 10 Funny Beheadings on YouTube then BOOM! A cruise missile comes through the roof of his compound.

Unless Colonel Jim Bob doesn't hit ctrl/alt/delete at the right time. Then it wipes out a school/hospital/refugee camp.
Post #765693 27th Mar 2019 6:12pm
Slideywindows

England 
So there's all kinds of gammon on the boil.....
Post #765719 27th Mar 2019 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>