Home > Off Topic > Back lane issues..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Back lane issues..
Good evening Gents,

wondering if anyone has had to deal with this before....

Short story, we have a back lane with a garage we keep the cars in, there's 4 garages served by the lane and on the other side is a park;

We solely took on the responsibility to have it concreted over the last week, but now we have neighbours complaining that we've 'ruined' the back lane, everybody was notified twice before worked commenced, and obviously nobody decided to spread the costs - not the end of the world.

Could anyone assist me, I've got the below from the government land registry

Now is the RED outline the absolute boundary, or do they also own the land down the side i.e. the lane?

Click image to enlarge

Number 1 are stating that the concrete is too high for there garage (hasn't been used in 10 years for a car - which we offered the solution okay, we'll pay to have 3" of concrete put in response - oh but then we'd have to spend the weekend clearing it out)

also where the lane joins the road, they have a small driveway and they are stating the concrete is higher than the drive (1.5m) between drive and concrete and they will scrape the bottom of the car....

The whole reason we are having this done is being scared of scraping the bottom of our car... (obviously not the defender) something that has a carbon front splitter that parts alone are 3.5k every time it gets damaged.

the L shape seen here is the lane.

Click image to enlarge

this is the boundary of the park that adjoins the lane.

Click image to enlarge

Basically, who owns the land, they said nothing all week whilst work was still going on, have been around complaining 3 times this weekend, They've been told a solution will be found but there on about solicitors bla bla.

Last edited by Likeomg on 25th Mar 2019 1:00am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #765226 24th Mar 2019 8:17pm
Likeomg

On this one here, does anybody know what rp might stand for ?

Click image to enlarge

Edit, I'm guessing the below is where r.p. comes from

The latter are called Revision Points (R.P. for short) and they consist of the corners of buildings, marks on wails, or pavements, etc., the later recognition of which is assured as far as possible by making a sketch or by taking a photograph in which the revision point is indicated by an arrow, and in which a sign board is included to give its name, number, etc. These revision points not only make points of departure for the new chain surveys and for later revision surveys, but it is expected that engineers and local surveyors will come to find them invaluable also, particularly since they are co-ordinated precisely enough for use in surveys at the scale of 1/500 (see Section 25).

R.P's are to be shown by a conventional sign correctly positioned on every 1/1,250 and 1/2,500 plan.
Post #765228 24th Mar 2019 8:25pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
If that map is from the land registry then the red represents the edge of their boundary.
The ground around their property is public land unless it is covered by separate deeds. If you speak to the land registry that will be able to assist.
Post #765236 24th Mar 2019 8:59pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The red line is their absolute boundary but they may still have rights and responsibilities to and for the lane.

Despite being possibly unresponsive and unhelpful, the onus is on you to ensure that what you've done doesn't adversely affect the neighbours. That's if you even have the right to undertake the work you describe in the first place, which isn't clear, I'm afraid. What do your deeds say about it? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #765237 24th Mar 2019 9:02pm
Likeomg

Hi,

well every neighbour was informed about the plans and how it would be executed nobody had any objections

I've downloaded as many title deeds as I can, not one has ownership of the back lane according to any of them
Post #765239 24th Mar 2019 9:07pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Do your deeds say anything about rights or obligations?

You could try the property dept. of your local council. It may well be land 'left over' following development and belongs to them. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #765240 24th Mar 2019 9:11pm
BossHog

England 
The red lines if a LR Dwg are the property boundaries though there are a number of items that could cause issues, rights of access, covenants, easements, way leaves, underground services, and now due to concrete surface a possibility of flooding due to hard surface and lack of drainage. A guide to local authority ownership is street lighting, if it's there it's normally council owned, though not cast in stone, ownership can be checked at LR.

If you can prove that the area i.e. lane has been neglected and you alone have maintained and managed it for 12 years or more unhindered you "could" claim title through "adverse possession" if you wished to claim ownership.

I would seek some legal advice.....

Post #765242 24th Mar 2019 9:43pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Where the “new” concrete you have laid meets number 1s 1.5m driveway is it higher than their existing driveway? If so when it rains assuming you haven’t done any drainage works prior to concreting the run off may enter their property.

Having reread your thread several times and am I right in saying you don’t actually own the lane but chose to concrete because of your other car? 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #765244 24th Mar 2019 10:01pm
Likeomg

Gonna seek legal advice... it was done on the basis of us thinking we where helping everyone out as everytime it rained the lane became a rutted mud bath.

All neighbours where consulted months in advance and prior to the work beginning which we got no feed back and everyone was happy..

The scope of work was dig a 8ft trench, all the way rather than concreting the whole thing, the concrete is angled to shed water away from all the properties...

We do have a issue because of a man hole that in one area it angles towards a garage.

The contractors have been informed that one set of neighbours aren’t happy but the fact they’ve been around 3 times now knocking on my door saying all sorts of things about the contractors, taking them to court for this that bla bla.. so we are just doing our best for anything coming.

And yes outside the house that are complaining, they had an extension done which the builder just dumped all his rubble / waste in the lane which caused issues with our low clearance car which we only discovered months later when we put it back on the road.. a replacement front splitter is a substantial chunk to swallow.

If we have to tear it up, as per the lady living there we’ve ‘ruined her lane’ - which luckily the conversation is all recorded on our front door camera(did tell them it was all on record), so be it. Expensive lesson for us.
Post #765255 25th Mar 2019 12:13am
Likeomg

And bare in mind at this point, it’s still not a finished job.

And yes, theres more than 1.5meter distance from there drive / property to the concrete..
Post #765256 25th Mar 2019 12:13am
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Some pictures may help people give you advice Thumbs Up I’m sure a compromise can be reached, maybe worth having a chat with the contractor to see if they said anything untoward to the lady that has aggravated the situation. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #765269 25th Mar 2019 7:32am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Bad luck, as the old saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. Get legal advice, complete a search on the lane to establish ownership / rights of way / covenants etc, and go from there. I hope you get it sorted out without breaking it all out. Jealousy about fancy cars with low splitters might be root cause!
Post #765274 25th Mar 2019 8:09am
boxoftricks

On reflection, I'd be tempted not to do anything.

Pointless on seeking legal advice until you know what you're facing. Let the neighbour vent, it's one thing them venting, another them putting their hand in their own pocket to pay for a solicitor. I'd suspect over time they calm down.

Someone needs to prove who owns/is responsible for the track. There are thousands of these all over the country that no one is really sure who exactly owns what. I'd not waste your time and energy working it all out. Let someone else.

Sounds like the worse case is you have to take it up but it will take years to get to that stage. If you've broken some rule or another then you'll get a letter through from the council as first step. You can then probably appeal it etc to slow it all down.

Until then enjoy your sports car..........
Post #765287 25th Mar 2019 9:59am
Likeomg

I Think the first thing is to just let them finish the job...

But these neighbours have stated they don't want any more work done until they've had there chance to vent..

We've put it all on them this morning, told them please find out who owns what, what you actually want doing, contact the council etc etc.. we did speak with the council before the work commenced and they stated the land had nothing to do with them so lets see.

The main merit for having the lane done was the prior state, mud being the main thing (I have wide defender tires too so every time it rains I get mud up) not going to start mentioning oh we wanted it done so as not to damage our supercar.. yet she's paranoid about scraping the bottom of her 2004 small Toyota Rolling Eyes
Post #765298 25th Mar 2019 10:41am
boxoftricks

Agreed. If the council have no interest you're 99.9% in the clear as any action will require them to pay for it.

There are two types in life, the type who get things done and the moaners......
Post #765299 25th Mar 2019 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>