↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > DAB fault in Kenwood JVC double din half depth models.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PCM

United Kingdom 
DAB fault in Kenwood JVC double din half depth models.
Just upgraded my head unit to a double din option.
For ease I opted for the Kenwood DMX 7018 as it's half depth so needs minor modifications to behind the dash only.

After leaving the workshop, I found the DAB reception to be a bit (Lot) patchy.

First I checked the interrference from the blue sea USB charger I installed instead of the cigarette socket. (No better when removed)
then i assumed the airiel was at fault so ghanged to a landrover stubby one. then a window DAB one then to a maaaasive standard one. No change.

Then swapped the head unit to a borrowed one from the workshop. This worked flawlessly even with the standard aerial pushed down into the body.

Turns out there is an inherant fault with the Kenwood DMX 7018 half depth models. Verified my Kenwood. This fault is also on the JVC models that MUDSTUFF supply. KW-M745DBT

Fault is a poor designed DAB tuner that affects the reception in 'certain areas only' so some may work.

The full depth models such as the kenwood DMX7017 are ok.

Have an official reply from Kenwood to clarify. Next batch of units will be redesigned and will be available in June/July

For all people wanting a double din shallow model then avoid them for now or clarify you are getting the new batch.
Fopr anyone wanting to know about reception on a DAB aerial I can clarify the BEST airiel by far as I know if the original factory one with a decent DAB splitter.

What an adventure that was.. but now have a working and really fancy head unit with a landrover background. Smile

Also i can say that the quality of the defenderupgrades double din facia is spot on.

Hope this is of some help to people wanting to do the same modification and struggling with DAB reception.
Post #764816 22nd Mar 2019 11:40am
cold

Definitely helpful, thank you - pm sent
Post #764889 22nd Mar 2019 7:59pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
Just a follow up to the above.
I’ve just had my faulty unit replaced by the manufacturer after 3 months. The new production run has a different DAB chip in it and i’m Happy to say is working like a dream.

For anyone buying this model, ensure you get the latest DAB chip or your reception will be pants.

On a plus side. The unit now looks simply stunning.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #781368 13th Jul 2019 6:40pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Glad its not just me!

Just contacted Kenwood, mines still less than a year old so should be able to change it. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #781370 13th Jul 2019 6:46pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
You would hope that if this is an inherent fault, Kenwood would replace whether it is in or out of warranty?
Post #781381 13th Jul 2019 7:21pm
Mev247

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Ive just had mine fitted and added DAb aerials , stubbies the lot and yep the receptions is pants.... anyone have the official contact and address (email) to contact Kenwood with please? Also my car play connection keeps dropping which I assume it part of the issue or an issue with the USB cable perhaps?
 60 110 XS -61k- Corris - For Ever....
Post #783999 30th Jul 2019 9:54am
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
PCM the side panel comes along with the double din? Panel, I see on page. of defeupgrades that do not offer that side panel model, is it a special request?
regards
Post #784011 30th Jul 2019 10:59am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Just got mine back.

Apparently not fault found Neutral

However replaced under good will Very Happy

DAB works now perfectly so im happy! Thanks again for posting this never would have known! Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #788429 23rd Aug 2019 10:47pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
No fault found but the new one works.... hmmm.
Anyway happy to help.
Thumbs Up
Post #788511 24th Aug 2019 10:11pm
stevec205gti

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
As a bit of a follow on from this - maybe - I've found that in the UK i've got a pretty full list of stations, but whilst in Germany I couldn't pick up anything. Was your fault a complete failure to pick stuff up, or a reduced number of stations?
Post #788813 27th Aug 2019 9:47am
PCM

United Kingdom 
Reduced number of stations. Basically the same symptom of a rubbish antenae.
Apparently only affects certain transmitters so could work fine in one town and rubbish in another. Big Cry
Post #788824 27th Aug 2019 10:57am
PCM

United Kingdom 
Update

While all was fine for a few months. I’ve since had issues with the above unit again.
Adding an amplifier and another set of speakers raised the system noise level ever so slightly. This caused the DAB station reception to be encroached on and the signal to drop.
Adding a DRL bumper raised the vehicle electrical noise even more. And basically blasted out the DAB reception again.

You could say the tuner works and the other bits add noise, but after trying another head unit by Panasonic their DAB signal capture is far far better to the point the DRLs and the amplifier system noise just don’t matter.

The audio centre is going to go mental at kenwood as they have wasted sooooo much time on a problem that Kenwood must know about. Their units are just not that good at receiving DAB radio.
And that is every kenwood / JVC model made. The one I had has the very latest dab chip in it. It works... j
But just.

Thanks to The guys at Newcastle Autosounds for methodically checking everything over a number of days/hours and finally working out why.... Bow down
Post #812966 31st Jan 2020 9:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1