↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mantec Wheel Carrier woes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
petestaunch

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Mantec Wheel Carrier woes.
Hoping someone can help.

I have a 110 Puma Hardtop.

It came with the bog standard steel wheels and a rattling back door. I moved the door striker and that seemed to fix the rattle on all but the biggest bumps in the road. It has been suggested to me that the door frame might be cracked - I don't know where to look for this, or that the hinges might be on the way out, though I don't see any sign of this.

I have upgraded to 18' Sawtooth Alloys with some pretty chunky tyres and have fitted a Mantec Swing Away wheel carrier because I had read here that they were held in high regard. I have also purchased mantec spacers so the wheel sits flush on the carrier. I am by no means a mechanic but I believe i've done a tidy enough job fitting it though the bolt and washer instructions I had for the 'piston' were a little unclear.

The rattle has been unbearable and i've tried everything I can do to stop it. I've made sure the wheel is flush on the carrier, the carrier arm is solid etc, all to no avail.

First Question - Do swing away arms just rattle?

My second question - with regards to the Mantec swingarm references the photo below. I have these two bolts, a washer and I did have a 15mm thick rubber washer that fitted over the piston and I assumed gripped the inside of the arm to stop it rattling. The instructions refer to a rubber washer but this seems to be rather large to be referred to as a washer plus i've destroyed it now by tightening it so much so i'll need to buy another in any event.

Third question. If the door is the issue can anyone let me know some good places to look for cracks or sign the hinges are not performing well? At the moment I do not have a wheel on the carrier and there isn't a rattle so I am assuming it is the weight of the wheel that is screwing the whole thing up. In fact would the wheel carrier not help alleviate a door rattle ?

Help!

Thanks

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #763616 15th Mar 2019 1:51pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The original rubber washer is not 15mm thick from memory, but they do fall apart so maybe yours has been replaced before. I am about to replace mine, going to try To adapt a lower rear shock bush. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #763617 15th Mar 2019 1:56pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
I fitted mine last week. I tightened up the nuts you refer to in part two just enough so the carrier does not rattle or move when you give it a good shake.

I also Cooper greased the hinge bolts that are not done up that tight so it’s light and easy to swing the wheel away.

I think I need to realign mine slightly to take weight off the door more.
Post #763628 15th Mar 2019 2:43pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I must have had a lot of spare time on my hands when I fitted my Mantec. I cross drilled the two hinge bolts about halfway down the thread and then drilled down the centre line of the bolts from the head end until it met the cross drilled hole. Screwed a grease nipple in the head. I can now easily grease the hinges. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #763639 15th Mar 2019 3:50pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
boxoftricks wrote:
I fitted mine last week. I tightened up the nuts you refer to in part two just enough so the carrier does not rattle or move when you give it a good shake.

I also Cooper greased the hinge bolts that are not done up that tight so it’s light and easy to swing the wheel away.

I found that i needed to tighten the hinge bolts up so as the arm doesn't bounce , tight then backed off half a turn. Conflicting advice I know Rolling Eyes The other thing I have to do is grease the white plunger as when it dries out it also rattles. If its a squeaky rattle it could also be the door rubbers ??
Post #763643 15th Mar 2019 4:14pm
Def90

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I had a similar problem, could be your issue.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic20067.html
Post #763648 15th Mar 2019 4:22pm
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I replaced those 2 bolts with nyloc bolts and cranked them down either side of that bracket, I also greased the hell out of that piston... that stopped it rattling.
Post #763663 15th Mar 2019 5:26pm
petestaunch

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Thank you all very much. Really appreciate it. It seems I have the order of fastenings incorrect at the very least.

Pete
Post #763765 16th Mar 2019 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1