↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Morocco Green Card costs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Morocco Green Card costs
I am insured with Adrian Flux. I have recently contacted them to enquire about a Green Card for a planned trip to Morocco for less than a month, and they have quoted about £200 quid. Does this sound steep, or am I being unrealistic? Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #761051 27th Feb 2019 6:39pm
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
That does sound steep. I've been over to Morocco twice now and Adrian Flux have never offered me a green card, not many insurance companies offer this now. You can get insurance for Morocco at the port really easy and from memory cost about 955 Moroccan Dirham (£75) for a month.
Post #761078 27th Feb 2019 8:22pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I couldn’t get a green card for Morocco so I bought at the port last time and will do again this year. As I understand it, all that gives is the legal minimum and what would actually happen in the event of a claim, who knows? As to excess, or limits of cover, I never asked. But, to my mind there is one massive benefit to buying in Morroco, that is you get a proper Moroccan issued document in Arabic to wave under the nose of any interested police officer or other official.

If you had a bump, whipped out your U.K. issued green card or whatever, how would the cops know it was legit? I can imagine there’d be much procrastination at the very least while they worked out how to tell if you had a proper policy in place. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #761099 27th Feb 2019 9:18pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Think I paid about £60 to add Morocco onto my insurance. Brexit may be messing things up at the moment though.
Post #761126 27th Feb 2019 11:48pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Bluest wrote:
I couldn’t get a green card for Morocco so I bought at the port last time and will do again this year. As I understand it, all that gives is the legal minimum and what would actually happen in the event of a claim, who knows?

Adrian Flux told me I am not insured for travel to Morocco at all - their insurance does not cover travel there. So would the green card provide sufficient cover, or would I need additional insurance cover as well? Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #761230 28th Feb 2019 6:29pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Bluest wrote:
I couldn’t get a green card for Morocco so I bought at the port last time and will do again this year. As I understand it, all that gives is the legal minimum and what would actually happen in the event of a claim, who knows? As to excess, or limits of cover, I never asked. But, to my mind there is one massive benefit to buying in Morroco, that is you get a proper Moroccan issued document in Arabic to wave under the nose of any interested police officer or other official.

If you had a bump, whipped out your U.K. issued green card or whatever, how would the cops know it was legit? I can imagine there’d be much procrastination at the very least while they worked out how to tell if you had a proper policy in place.

We got it at the port as well for similar reasons, even though we were already insured ovef here.

The following is taken from https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/m...d-security

Quote:

If you’re involved in a road accident, you should complete a ‘Constat Amiable’ form, to be signed by both parties. Blank forms are available on arrival at Tangier port from the insurance company booths and from tobacconists in all cities.

If you’re involved in a road accident resulting in a fatality and the Moroccan authorities consider you responsible, you may be detained pending a trial hearing.

If you enter Morocco with a vehicle, the registration number will be recorded. If you’re not in possession of the same vehicle when leaving Morocco, you’ll be refused exit and detained. You’ll need to provide evidence of adequate motor insurance. You should always carry your insurance, licence and registration documents with you.
Post #761232 28th Feb 2019 6:34pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
strang wrote:
Bluest wrote:
I couldn’t get a green card for Morocco so I bought at the port last time and will do again this year. As I understand it, all that gives is the legal minimum and what would actually happen in the event of a claim, who knows?

Adrian Flux told me I am not insured for travel to Morocco at all - their insurance does not cover travel there. So would the green card provide sufficient cover, or would I need additional insurance cover as well?

This is exactly the situation I had. My standard policy didn't cover Morocco so I had to have a separate short term policy that did. For the peace of mind having fully comprehensive cover from a UK insurance broker that speaks the same language as you, I think it's better value than the £80 on the border third party only cover. It also means you can go straight through the border and limit your exposure to the irritating little helpers.

The one minor advantage of the on the border cover is that it provides limited breakdown cover within 30km or so of a town.
Post #762475 8th Mar 2019 8:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1