↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2011 puma tdci is ok?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
2011 puma tdci is ok?
Hi guys,
I am really really upto buying a brand new puma tdci 110, 2011 model but afraid rumours going on with many faults such as gear box, engine, sensors bla bla bla..... Question Question Question Does this faults only apply to early 2007, 2008 tdci models or have they managed to sort it out for 2011 tdci model? Guys..... your kind answer would greately apprciated! Very Happy Very Happy
Post #71251 17th May 2011 6:18am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I asked the same question a few months ago having read about all the problems but the further you go into it you realise a lot of the problems were sorted around 2009/10. Many of the recalls and improvements are detailed on the forum.

The rough running engines were my main concern which passed the problem through to the gearbox and clutch. These engine problems have now been sorted I think there was a redesign of the valves and the oil feed onto the big end but not sure. This out of LROI also "a small number of TDCi Defenders (up to VIN9A767162, though not all of them) did suffer an engine knock caused by a lack of oil flow from the piston cooling jets. This occurred from engine start up until the engine was warm, causing damage to the pistons and bores"

I've only done 450 miles in mine so not exactly a good test but I can say that the clutch is fine, no knocks or nasty clunks and the gearbox goes in smoothly in all gears. Have to say I'm very impressed with the build quality (but for some body component rust issues which are part and parcel of a Defender going back years!) Every nut has a blob of paint on it showing it has been checked, the paint finish is very good which was a surprise as many I had looked at over recent years in showrooms was not so good in places - maybe they have finally got their act together!

If you have good back up where you are, go for it you won't be disappointed. If not you can still get hold of near new 300TDi's Thumbs Up
Post #71257 17th May 2011 7:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pannawonica

Australia 
Did 1500 km in mine today, it did not miss a beat ! Very Happy
They are not a soft roader but a piece of equipment. Seems to me they go better when worked
Post #71259 17th May 2011 7:58am
dilukabey

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Thanks alot you all for the information. Really appriciate that! Smile. im quiet sure they never gonna sorted out their rust and roof water leaking problems for sometime.( we all love defenders but their bad sides tend to get tolerated by the thousands of Lr uses in the world!!)

I am having my 110 SW 300tdi for more than two years and I have done some extreame off road too. I think the 300tdi is the best they ever made.
Recently I had few problems in the clutch, steering box... may be its too old now and thought of selling it and go for a puma....

In sri lanka we have very muddy think jungles and I always go with my mates with another 2 or 3 off roaders. As Zagato mentioned, 300tdi is a wise move. But for an example, if my new puma(not yet bought) stalled in the jungle for some electronic problem, would it be possible to work on it straight rather than rocovering it? (sorry I am being so silly) :roll Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. Pls post your comments guys. Cheers!
Post #71262 17th May 2011 8:39am
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Dilukabey,

I have more than 120,000 km in my MY2007 Puma and all the problems that I had were not related with the electronics, so Im quite confident about that.

As Zagato said most of the problems (clutch, vacuum pump, oil pan, etc) were solved during the guarantee period and should be solved for the new ones. But still the annoying water and other fluid leakages are not solved. Sad

On the other hand, most of the problems that I had (except the clutch) does not impair the ability to reach a safety place or a LR dealer with the car.

But like all the new cars, if something electronic is broken you will not be able to repair it if you dont have the specific piece and the computer to diagnose it. In tis case a 300TDi are more bullet proof but due the age can be more subject to other kind of failures that can give you in the same position.

Cheers and good luck wathewer you decide Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #71330 17th May 2011 3:46pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
pannawonica wrote:
Did 1500 km in mine today, it did not miss a beat ! Very Happy
They are not a soft roader but a piece of equipment. Seems to me they go better when worked

so true Mike
Post #71349 17th May 2011 6:09pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Now on my 4th Puma 110,, Current on has just had 4000 miles put on it in 10 days (+ another 3000 in the next week or so Thumbs Up ),, no problem,, but then all the previous ones were the same,, only fault i have had, was a abs sensor at 600 miles, on the fist 2007 110

All 4 drive very nearly identical + the fact, a Puma, makes a 300 Tdi. feel like a series 2 Shocked California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #71424 17th May 2011 10:42pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
mines a 2010 59plate.
9600 miles
not missed a beat.
just the rear window [heater element failed] replaced under warranty.

GET ONE......you know you want too !! Thumbs Up BM52
Post #71430 17th May 2011 10:50pm
spudfan

Ireland 
There is a down side to this Puma addiction. The Puma takes all the mystique out of owning and even driving a Defender. It is so quiet, so relaxing and so easy to drive it almost makes you feel like a fraud as you call yourself a Defender owner. Remember the envious glances you got from other drivers as you parked your Defender 110 into a tight spot in the carpark? Well you will still get them but you will not deserve them. It is such a delight and a joy to drive and it is so easy to manouver and park. No more need for the slow lane on hills either as the Puma just hammers up them. Unwary drivers overtaking you coming out of a speed restriction get a shock as you just effortlessly take up speed leaving them frantically trying to get past you on the wrong side of the road. I usually have to ease off and let them in. The whole thing from the seats to the engine gives you stress free enjoyable journeys. Even the standard sound system is good and audible at volume 4 or 5. Middle row seats and back row-if fitted- are really good. My troops love both and you know what teenagers are like.You get out of the vehicle feeling fresh thinking you could go another couple of hundred miles without the engine still ringing in your ears. Hell, you can even hear the wife talking to you as well as the troops in the back.No wonder I feel guilty masquerading as a Defender owner. Still I am lucky. I can always take the 110 200 tdi for a spin to ease my conscience. You even get a three year warranty to help you feel even more guilty. Then there are lots of people on this site to give advice if needed and help you to educate your service manager. Best advice I can give is to buy from a dealer with a good back up service, even if you need to travel. People here will let you know who is good and who is not so good. Now where is the wife with my (sorry HER) Puma as I want to feel guilty again. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #71502 18th May 2011 3:01pm
BruceT

South Africa 
I have a 11MY model that has just passed 20 000kms. No issues, except a rattle in one of the rear doors and some switch that activates the aircon. (basically the aircon would come on and once cold would switch off and not come back on again sometimes) Just cam back from travelling through Mozambique with a heavy off road caravan in tow and averaged 11.1 liters per 100kms.

I love it and do not regrett my purchase one bit.

Go for it!
Post #71509 18th May 2011 3:31pm
flying_low

Kenya 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Nice to see some positive comments from happy defender-ers (??).
I have just done 2500km in my MY2011 puma.. had a HUGE debate whether to get one or not for the same reasons as this post was started.. and so far.. i'm SO glad i have!
Comfortable (in a defender kind of way), quiet (in a defender.. you get it), easy to drive, fast.. very fast (in a....yeah ok), and good on fuel... Wink

Kenya has one Landrover dealer, to which every guarantee job and service must go.. so they have a bit of a monopoly, meaning that they can more or less hold you to ransom when it comes to support and service - you have no where else to go - and they know it. If you are in a similar situation, try and visit the dealer, get to know the sales guys who are trying to sell you everything.. and then after you have negotiated everything and hve them calling you everyday to close the deal, walk in there and tell them you are waiting to hear about the after sales deals from landrover's japanese competitor (we all know who that is!). Watch clmly as theyr faces turn white with the thought of losing your business, and then.... then... you nail down the service deal. Make them give you everything in writing, and then tell them you will call them back.
Then go away, knowing that at the very least, yoou will have a pretty good chance of putting your foot down regarding their poor customer service later on down the road.

Oh, and prepare to enjoy a reliable, and thoroughly enjoyable defender....just don't forget - it is a defender, check evferything twice and keep it clean and it will be fine. Electronics are aparrently not a problem issue anymore... mechanically, its as sound as any other brand new defender would be...

Good luck! Thumbs Up 2011 110 Tdci
1982 Range Rover V8 Classic (Gone)
Post #72248 23rd May 2011 11:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1