↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What green laning modifications would you suggest?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
What green laning modifications would you suggest?
So the plan is to take the 110 green laning. It's currently standard spec with the addition of mud tyres and Roo bars (Its an Oz import).

I'm after advice on what upgrades you'd suggest I make based on what is likely to break first Smile I'm going to be taking the kids with me (6 and 9 years old) so nothing too over the top. We're not going to need a roll cage Smile

What would you invest in first? There is so much out there however limited budget.
Post #761153 28th Feb 2019 1:18pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
To a certain extent, it depends on where you're going. However, there's an argument that if you need anything more than a standard Land Rover then you shouldn't be there in the first place.

In your position, presumably travelling solo, I'd take a shovel, some basic supplies (water, snacks, etc) and a mobile phone. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #761154 28th Feb 2019 1:28pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Depending on kms and you have not address it yet I would invest on a gearbox output shaft. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later

Last edited by MK on 28th Feb 2019 1:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #761155 28th Feb 2019 1:28pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
A tow rope and CB radio.
No other modifications are necessary.
If you can't drive a greenlane with a standard defender, you shouldn't be driving there.
Just my opinion.

edit - LRA types faster than me!
Post #761156 28th Feb 2019 1:29pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My suggestion would be to just get out there. You’re driving one of the best vehicles for the task as it is.
If you lack confidence in your defender or your own capabilities then join a group like Glass or All Terrain 4x4. They do newbie days and give some good advice about local lanes.
Also, if you want to just have a look around your local area try bywaymap.com.
Good luck!
Post #761157 28th Feb 2019 1:34pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
And I appear to be the slowest typer!

Good point by MK though. Good maintenance is key. It’s unlikely you’ll get stuck because of the terrain. But a breakdown would stop you anywhere. The recovery costs for a Greenlane breakdown might be a little different though.
Post #761164 28th Feb 2019 1:44pm
boxoftricks

Thanks guys, I've just joined the Herts, Beds and Bucks Landrover Club so will start on their led outings. Hopefully fun days out for the kids.

I've got a 2010 110 2.4 TDCI that's done 100k.

Agreed that it should be cut out for the job but being a Defender was interested in any weak points such as steering or the above-mentioned output shaft.

The guy I get it from who owned since new and seemed to have looked after it with a service every 6000k had just replaced the clutch so assuming/hoping they regreased the output shaft.
Post #761166 28th Feb 2019 1:51pm
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I always take a small saw and secateurs, in case anything is overhanging a bit.

Just protects the paintwork a bit. 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #761167 28th Feb 2019 1:55pm
mobilesawmiller

United Kingdom 
IMHO you have the two essentials - A Defender and mud terrain tyres. I do a lot of solo off roading in the wilds of Donegal and would include the following as essential equipment:-

Steering guard ;
Diff guards;
High Lift jack complete with strops and shackles to allow it to be used as a short pull winch;
Jack pad for use in soft ground - I would also suggest a bit of practice with a High Lift as they can be lethal in untrained hands;
A good ex military shovel;
Pair of waffle boards;
Phone, food, water, maps etc;
One of the best ropes is a kerr - but only useful if there is a second vehicle with you and again you know the dangers of using it.

In Donegal a local farmer with a large 4 wheel drive tractor on speed dial is a big bonus. Don't be afraid to retrace your steps rather than take the risk of getting stuck (I was told that getting stuck is like being pregnant - you can't be slightly pregnant).The main thing is to get out there and enjoy the countryside in your Defender. We are lucky in that Donegal is covered in unsurfaced tracks so there is no need to go off piste - the tracks range from very easy to bloody difficult so you can always find something to suit your mood!

Happy offroading!

Click image to enlarge
Post #761168 28th Feb 2019 2:07pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I was in the same situation a few years ago, so spoke to a few companies at the LRO Show that organise trips, most said steering and diff guards are beneficial, but a lot of others they're not necessary. I fitted them just as a precaution.

Just have fun and be prepared for some bramble rash! Big Cry Highly recommend some off road driving tution too Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #761175 28th Feb 2019 2:39pm
boxoftricks

[quote="mobilesawmiller"]IMHO you have the two essentials - A Defender and mud terrain tyres. I do a lot of solo off roading in the wilds of Donegal and would include the following as essential equipment:-

Steering guard ;
Diff guards;
High Lift jack complete with strops and shackles to allow it to be used as a short pull winch;
Jack pad for use in soft ground - I would also suggest a bit of practice with a High Lift as they can be lethal in untrained hands;
A good ex military shovel;
Pair of waffle boards;
Phone, food, water, maps etc;
One of the best ropes is a kerr - but only useful if there is a second vehicle with you and again you know the dangers of using it.

In Donegal a local farmer with a large 4 wheel drive tractor on speed dial is a big bonus. Don't be afraid to retrace your steps rather than take the risk of getting stuck (I was told that getting stuck is like being pregnant - you can't be slightly pregnant).The main thing is to get out there and enjoy the countryside in your Defender. We are lucky in that Donegal is covered in unsurfaced tracks so there is no need to go off piste - the tracks range from very easy to bloody difficult so you can always find something to suit your mood!

Happy offroading!

Thanks, great advice. Unfortunately, in Hertfordshire, we don't get the wide variety of offroading you have over there. I'm tempted to hear over for a visit Smile
Post #761192 28th Feb 2019 3:30pm
boxoftricks

JOW240725 wrote:
I was in the same situation a few years ago, so spoke to a few companies at the LRO Show that organise trips, most said steering and diff guards are beneficial, but a lot of others they're not necessary. I fitted them just as a precaution.

Just have fun and be prepared for some bramble rash! Big Cry Highly recommend some off road driving tution too Thumbs Up

Yep seems you're in a similar situation to me. Had a look at your feed and have taken some pointers. Hoping it becomes a relatively cheap adventure day for the kids, well compared to visiting overpriced attractions. A few bramble scrapes will add character. Did you have off road driving tuition?
Post #761194 28th Feb 2019 3:38pm
Avelingporter

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
If you are at all worried about bramble rash then have the sides and bonnet vinyl wrapped. I know pink chrome of matte kharki may not be your taste. But they do do clear do all good then. Unless you want to go off road looking like a tarts handbag!!! Laughing
Post #761204 28th Feb 2019 4:35pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Research the route for legality.

Take a phone, first aid kit, fire ext, maps and go.

If in any doubt back out. If there is a chance of getting stuck on a greenlane you shouldn't be there.

I wouldn't be spending out on my lr until I knew from experience what was going To be beneficial. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #761213 28th Feb 2019 5:18pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Invest in some defender training that focuses on the capability of the vehicle and how to use the hi/low range gearing correctly as well as reading the ground. A standard defender will cope with a Hugh amount and tbh if you research expedition trips by LR they tended to keep vehicles pretty much standard.
Post #761214 28th Feb 2019 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>