↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > OzTent RV4 Thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
OzTent RV4 Thoughts?
Evening,

Been thinking of swapping my Oz Tent Jet Tent F25X for an RV4. I do love the Jet Tent but it looks like I'll be doing more expedition style trips which will involve stopping each night and setting up camp so I would prefer something faster to set up and collapse.

The Jet is great and hugely spacious but it does take two people and about 15 mins to set up, equally takes about 30 mins to pack away which become quite annoying on the way down to Spain last year.

How is the RV4 size wise when its actually full of kit? What is it like to live with when out and about?

I know it will be a fair bit smaller than the Jet Tent but I've beenconsidering the side panels which could be used when set up for a few days + and awning on the landy/tent would more than make up for it! Especially considering most the time its just me Whistle

I did think about a roof tent but the fact that it makes the landy immobile isnt ideal for the type of trips I do.

Anyone planning to get rid of one or wanna swap Very Happy

Cheers
Josh. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #760607 24th Feb 2019 8:48pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
What always put me off an Oztent was the size it is when stored. Don’t forget that part Thumbs Up
Post #760608 24th Feb 2019 8:50pm
Timo K

Finland 
I used an RV4 for about a year doing Siberia etc. To be honest I don't think it'll be much quicker. Sure they say it's 30 seconds to pitch up, but when you start unpacking it from your roof rack, positioning, doing beds and guy ropes etc I think the 15/30minute setup and pack is pretty much what you'll get.

I now have a pop-top because I got fed up with the constant hassle of setup and pack up.
Post #760610 24th Feb 2019 9:05pm
bankz5152

Good point on size the Jet fits on top of my boot lid on the pick up which is handy.

Ive done pop ups for years and sick of the lack of space! Hence the Jet palace Laughing

By set up I mean the speed and ease of getting the tent its self up and packed away again.

Weve got a trip to morroco coming up as wel as land rover party in spain again. Packing the Jet up each morning was a right pain! Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #760612 24th Feb 2019 9:14pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've had an RV4 for years and think it's a great bit of kit but it's not without its' issues. The main tent really can be set up very quickly - at it's minimum it only needs four pegs - but the extra bits and pieces (awning sides, fly sheet, etc) are a lot more involved. It typically takes me 35-40 minutes from pulling up to packing the hammer away, when setting up on my own.

The main tent is a big old lump to heave around and for most people it can only realistically be transported on the roof. For some years now, I've used an Ozpod, which is basically a purpose-made roof box that takes all of the various parts. I use a hop-up to help with loading as it's heavy and awkward to lift up high.

Click image to enlarge

In the past though, I've transported it successfully on a couple of roof bars. For the latter, I made a couple of L-shaped brackets for the top of each bar that meant the tent could be thrown on from the side without it skittering right across the roof. I covered thousands of miles with this set-up, which could work equally well on a DCPU.

Click image to enlarge

My only other niggle for UK use is that it doesn't have any proper windows; only mesh vent panels, which can make it a bit dark if the weather is against you. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #760623 24th Feb 2019 10:10pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
This is a good thread. I too need a tent that is quick to erect, but more importantly quickish to pack away too. Same reason as the OP, lots of 1 night layovers. Got Pyrenees and Maroc this year. I want a tent that sleeps two stretchers easily and is tall enough to stand in. I’ve used my ARB awning with the ARB room on the last trip, which is actually very easy to put up and pack, and works well on the whole, but I am not certain it would be ok in very wet weather due the risk of water pooling on the ceiling of the room. Plus once it’s up we can’t move the car. I may stick with that if all else fails.

I talked with Brendan about the Oztents, they seem almost the ideal solution but having to store it on the roof puts me off a bit. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #760627 24th Feb 2019 10:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
No tent is ideal for everybody. Now setting up camp etc is more then erecting the tent. Chairs, camp beds, bedding table etc all takes time no matter what tent you have got.

Now I have carried an Oztent inside a 110 and a D2. Not ideal but doable.

Yes normally carried on top of the roof, now how easy this is depends on many different factors including height of roof, personal height, fitness, mobility etc

Now we rarely use flysheet, side panels, front panels etc whereas other people want everything out and used. Now in sheltered sites with good weather forecast we have not bothered with guy ropes just used 4 pegs in the corners.

Now if yow require a tent with the ability to stand up in it which is weather proof then the Oztent is a serious contender. Yes its downsize is the pack size. It is not the right tent for everybody.

However it is a good range of tents with lots of accessories that has a good reputation

Brendan
Post #760634 24th Feb 2019 11:54pm
bankz5152

Yeah that is damn long! Getting it up in the roof should be pretty easy

Other than the RV4 im open to other suggestions.

Got to be able to stand up inside
Unpacking and setting up ideally quick but not a huge issue
Packing away must be reasonably quick - I found the Jet took ages to pack away, always felt like the bag just *just* too small.
Must fit a double inflatable bed at least
Fit someone who is 6ft4" lying down Smile Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #760643 25th Feb 2019 6:44am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
When I had a chat with Brendan, I think he said the RV5 packed size is pretty much the same as the RV4, so for the relatively small increase in price it is worth it for the extra space. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #760652 25th Feb 2019 8:39am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I've had an RV4 for many years and since then it has been joined by an RV3 and an RV1. Totally agree with all the pros & cons mentioned above, but I've yet to find anything better. It fits inside my Sankey Comms Trailer or the 101 but normally goes on the roof of the 110 when we're not camping at military vehicle shows. We love the modular design, and rarely put it up the same way twice. Now that the kids are of an age where they don't want to holiday with us I may be letting the RV4 go, because we only ever use it for 2 adults and the RV3 is fine for that.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The RV range has now been joined by the RX and Eyre range which have a similar silhouette but a different set of pros & cons. I'm not sure if these have reached the UK yet. There are rumours (based on heavy discounting in Australia) that the "budget" Eyre models have been discontinued.

https://www.oztent.com.au/Products/tent-range/family-tents

https://www.drifta.eu/ make some products for Oztents which have improvements over the standard parts. Mainly poles and bags. The standard RV bags can be a bit tight and non-waterproof, but they're cheap to replace via 4x4overlander.
Post #760669 25th Feb 2019 11:50am
130dreamer

We have also been using an RV4 for a number of years. I think the pros and cons have largely been covered by others.
We have the standard side panels but in hindsight the deluxe ones would have been better as it gives the extended roof area a slope for rain to run off rather than pool on the flatter roof.
We attach the extended front of the RV4 to our roof tent (maggiolina) using a 'spare' RV4 front which gives a covered area between the roof tent and getting inside the RV4.

In terms of storage we put it inside the 110 but up at headlining level, that way it was out of the way of other camping kit but easily accessible. It fits perfectly in a 130CSW but there are not many of those around!
Post #760688 25th Feb 2019 1:50pm
bankz5152

Seems like the only down side is that its rather long!

I dont mind strapping it on the roof, easy enough to get up there.

How do they hold up in the wind? Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #760736 25th Feb 2019 8:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
In my experience, they're pretty good. They are quite slab sided and so do billow a bit, but they're plenty strong enough.

If I was buying again from scratch, I'd get a suitably sized ski box to transport it, as they're easier to load and lockable. The Ozpod that I have was quite expensive but also isn't available anymore. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #760743 25th Feb 2019 8:49pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
To a certain extent it is down to the user the terrain and how it is erected.

We have had them out in 55 mph winds without issue.

There again we have know people wreck them. One person removed all the guy ropes and pegs on a windy Scottish mountain and watch it blow down the mountain side. In those conditions remove the guy ropes do not pull the tent pegs out, lower the tent to the ground then pull out the tent pegs.

Depending on the actual ground condition think carefully how you are going to peg any tent down. On very dry sandy soil or on solid rock, rock and tree sliders, spare wheels, tool boxes, full jerry cans etc all provide good anchor points.

Defenders also make good wind breaks.

Front porch awning double guy all 4 poles or put it away.

HTH

Brendan
Post #760752 25th Feb 2019 9:09pm
Outlaw1

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi Bankz , I have a Coleman instant tourer ,8ft x 8ft floor . I'm 6ft an easily stand up in it . Totaled up i have spent months in this tent with the wife all round europe , morocco , new zealand etc. We have a fly sheet that goes over ours which i have not seen in the uk . Not a pop up. takes me 9 mins to erect.,12 mins to pack up . You don't need fancy names with even fancier price tags to suit your needs . Never let me down always stayed dry . What more can a oztent do ?
Post #760766 25th Feb 2019 10:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>