↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rear diff failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Rear diff failure
Hi All, would love your advice on the following please.

Yesterday my girlfriend was driving the 110 slowly (20 ish) down our road and there was a loud bang followed by the sound of the diff end of the rear prop shaft flapping about under the vehicle. I wasn't around at the time but the car was recovered back outside the house.

I've been under there today and it appears the diff input flange bolt has sheared off allowing the prop to work its way off along with the input flange. In addition, the pinion shaft has gone into the diff and its all blended itself nicely. Ive whipped the half shafts out and removed the diff and it's horrendous.

The cars done 140K + miles and there's always been the typical transmission backlash/slack but were both alright at driving around it. This was improved by new rear half-shaft drive flanges and an ashcroft intermediate shaft (between gearbox and transfer box).

I'm now thinking the best way forward is an ashcroft rebuilt diff, ashcroft hd half shafts and ashcroft hd drive flanges. Not the cheapest solution but i don't want this happening again. Im also up for taking the oppoirtunity to reduce driveline slack some more and its already a money pit so carry on and don't think too hard about it too much. Its also owned buy my' company' so that helps the man maths in there situations.

Now, in your wise opinions, what could have caused this and is there anything i need to be inspecting before replacing the diff, half shafts and drive flanges (Obviously ill be removing all the detritus left over and replacing gaskets with new)?

Thanks in advance, Mat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #755687 2nd Feb 2019 3:16pm
andrewlandy

Austria 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Alpine White
Shocking
I cant offer any advice on this at all. But it looks shocking and I wish you all the best with the fix! Makes me want to sell mine.
Post #755689 2nd Feb 2019 3:25pm
Moneypit

2004 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
Speak to Nigel at xcess4x4 about a new setup, he'll steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by Moneypit on 2nd Feb 2019 5:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #755691 2nd Feb 2019 3:33pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Agree with above. Talk to Nigel Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #755695 2nd Feb 2019 3:55pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
what ever you choose to do consider an Ashcroft ATB as they cost about the same as a new 4 pin centre for the diff DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #755702 2nd Feb 2019 5:26pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That's proper ferked!

Possibly the pinion nut/bolt has been out at some point to take the flange off to replace the seal, and either no loctite was put on it so it came loose, or it was overtightened. As that is also what retains the pinion, matters would go downhill quite quickly...

I just stripped my factory front diff and there was no loctite on either the crownwheel bolts or the bearing caps, so it's entirely possible that it was a Monday morning job from the factory!

Either Ashcrofts https://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_axle.php or Nige at Xcess https://www.megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_axle.php ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #755705 2nd Feb 2019 5:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Can't beat Ashcroft from the parts I've had so far.

It certainly is the pinion fixing that's came loose, I'd take a look at that and see what type it was or if it was indeed the correct type.

Main thing is I'd be grateful for if I was in your shoes was that the driver was okay, if she had been travelling at speed it could have been very dangerous indeed.
And for vehicle behind if anything let go not to mention collateral damage on the 110 too on top of the Diff etc.

I would take a very close look at the culprit that caused it and following on from there who last had their hands on it if it had any repairs done at all. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #755713 2nd Feb 2019 6:23pm
mata

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
So some progress. Ahead of schedule my new pegged ATB diff, HD half shafts and HD drive flanges arrived from Ashcrofts yesterday.

Going to be fighting that back in to place over the weekend.

Click image to enlarge
Post #760017 21st Feb 2019 6:23pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
That’s the proper job !
I had my front diff explode on me two weeks ago so I know how little faith it leaves . I wish I could have stretched to a full ashcroft kit , looks the bees knees . https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #760027 21st Feb 2019 7:26pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I went for one piece half shafts on the rear, figured there’d be less fretting without the flanges ! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #760028 21st Feb 2019 7:27pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
will be interested to see what you think of the ATB DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #760049 21st Feb 2019 8:42pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
in my experience def the right way to go with Ashcrofts. you didn't consider their low pinion rear HD diff then?

i run one of their Air lockers and Ashcroft shafts and drive members in my 110 and wouldnt look back.

ref the failure, i am aware of one other rear diff failing like that on a 2.4 puma 80k miles on it. no previous diff removal or any part of. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #760062 21st Feb 2019 9:59pm
mactheknife

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Baltic Blue
This happened to me just before Christmas , except on the front. I had some play in the drive flange, so I replaced it, the oil seal and dirt shield. It was torqued back up to spec. Ran sweetly for another 1000 miles and then bang! Again, low speed, in my case as I turned off a main road into my street. The drive shaft had come adrift from the diff, the flange bolt had sheared. The pinion fell into the diff and caused carnage.
I had to get the AA to help remove the prop shaft as the bolts seized. The AA chap suggested that incorrect end float might be the cause.. I did not set the end float when I replaced the flange.
I rebuilt the axle 2 months ago with a reconditioned diff, new half shafts, bearings, seal, and drive flanges. I also replaced the front propshaft after finding some play in the splines.
There is still a small amount of backlash in the system. I'm considering taking the diff off and resetting the back lash in it. As that appears to the root if it, however there was zero backlash when I fitted it.
If I ever have to replace that input shaft oil seal again I'll be removing the entire diff and checking everything! On the plus side I now know how to rebuild an axle!
Post #760076 21st Feb 2019 10:32pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There should be zero end float on the pinion, in fact there should be a small amount of preload on the bearings (3 to 4.5 lbft without the oil seal fitted). Similarly there should be a small amount of backlash between the pinion and crownwheel (around 5 thou).

Pinion height is also important and if incorrect can cause the crownwheel teeth to break.
Post #760096 21st Feb 2019 11:54pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Quick question...

those Ashcroft HD shafts, with the bigger drive members... will they fit underneath an alloy (deep dish) wheel?
Post #760112 22nd Feb 2019 8:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>