↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Alpine Radio cutting out
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RichRX

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Alpine Radio cutting out
First time needing to ask the collective, so please be gentle with me!

2014, Puma 2.2. Standard Alpine unit, works absolutely perfect apart from when I start up pull away and change into 2nd.

Scenario: Start the engine unit comes on, pull away in 1st working as normal, change into 2nd and the unit cuts out (complete loss of power) comes back on within 3-10 seconds. Doesn’t cut out any more on the journey no matter how many times I change gear or pull away or go over bumps. Does the same every time on the first 1st to 2nd gear change, only then, no other times!

Never used to do it, only started about a month ago, any help or pointers would be welcome
Post #997588 26th Jun 2023 3:10pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Does your radio lose its memory when it shuts down? If it does you're either looking for a permanent live fault or an earth fault, if it doesn't it could be switched live issue. Can you replicate the fault while stationary or does it only happen when moving? If you start the engine and just wait, does the radio work perfectly as normal until you start your journey?
Post #997664 27th Jun 2023 8:14am
RichRX

Hi, thanks for responding.

It doesn’t lose its memory, and I can’t replicate it, only happens a few seconds after moving off, starting the engine and sitting there it works as normal.

Wondered if it was a relay on its way out, as I presume there is a relay that cuts the radio and ancillary electrics when starting?
Post #997666 27th Jun 2023 8:22am
Penfold_6290

I've just found a screenshot of the radio wiring and it is pretty simple but doesn't involve a relay. Do any of your other electrical service cut out at the same time? By looking at the diagram the radio receives 2 x 12v supplies, one via the main fuse box then fuse 30. The other is from the ignition switch via fuse 44.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/...ertainment
Post #997668 27th Jun 2023 8:29am
RichRX

Thanks. I had looked at this already, doesn’t seem to bother any other ancillaries.

would you know if its the ignition barrel itself that controls the ancillary shut down between pos 2 and crank? and could this be a cause of the fault or is it just a simple switch?
Post #997670 27th Jun 2023 8:35am
Penfold_6290

The crank position on the ignition switch is just a simple switch contact so I don't think that is your problem. I don't know about Pumas but on the Td5 and earlier Defenders, position 1 of the key switch only activates the radio and the blower fan. Does your blower come on with pos 1 like older versions or does it require the key to be in pos 2 ie. the ignition is on? If it was a Td5 or earlier and the blower stopped at the same time as the radio I'd be looking at the key switch.

I used to have a Kenwood unit in a Vauxhall Vectra that used to mute itself at will. That turned out to be the radio mute cable making occasional contact with the body which would then fool the radio into think I was on a call. Have you got another unit you could swap into its place? I see you're in Weymouth, I'm south west of Sherborne and have a single DIN Kenwood unit that you could pop in and see if it does the same thing?
Post #997679 27th Jun 2023 9:25am
RichRX

Thanks.

The blower does come on in pos 1 with the radio, didn’t think of checking if the blower cuts out too when the radio does, I’ll give her a quick run and see what happens.

If it doesn’t then I’ve got another single din so I’ll sawp for this and see if it still happens.

Good to know your not far, appreciate that.
Post #997682 27th Jun 2023 9:38am
RichRX

The blower doesn’t cut out when the radio does.

Swapped for an identical Alpine unit and its still a problem.

the thing which puzzles me the most is when it happens, if I drive in 1st everything is ok, it only happens when I change into 2nd for the first time, doesn’t happen at any other gear change after that. I just can’t make the connection between the 2nd gear change and the radio!

Got to love a land rover gremlin, eh!!
Post #997688 27th Jun 2023 10:11am
Penfold_6290

Bizarre...

In that case remove the radio and with a multimeter connect it to the switched 12v supply to your radio and the battery -ve terminal, check you have 12v then drive and do the second gear thing. If you get no interruption (it might only be a fraction of a second) next put your meter on resistance and connect one probe to the battery earth and the other to the radio earth and again do the second gear thing and see if there's an interruption to the earth circuit.

It's so strange that it only cuts out on the initial shift into second gear but after that any subsequent shifting into second doesn't recreate the problem...what if you give her some beans in first then shift straight to third?
Post #997729 27th Jun 2023 1:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1