Home > Puma (Tdci) > Land Rover defender 2.4 Tdci tappet type noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Defender Fun

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Land Rover defender 2.4 Tdci tappet type noise
Hi
I’m getting a tappet type rattling noise under acceleration only. Not when the car is stand still ideling or when you rev it stand stil. The defender is a 2007 XS model with only 41,000 miles. It had the common injectors becoming loose problem before Christmas, this was repaired with one new injector (bloomed end) and new cooper washers and new stretch bolts.
Any recommendations?
Kind regards
Post #758614 14th Feb 2019 4:36pm
Bourgui

Oman 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alaska White
Hello,

I had the same problem until yesterday, solved it with a VCV reset and pilot learn. Takes about 5 minutes in total, but you need to have the engine warm enough (I did it after driving for about 20mins)

All done with the magnificent BAS RRC! It can also be done with some of the diagnostic tools but not sure which ones.
Post #758625 14th Feb 2019 5:13pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ is probably the answer. but I do wonder if there's a chance that the egr isn't shutting fully?
Post #758630 14th Feb 2019 5:32pm
Defender Fun

Hi
Thank you for both your reply’s, I have done an injector and Pump learn, the injectors was successful however the pump not I did try it again but no luck. But will give it another go. Please note I have a Hawkeye total (Bearmach one). It has also had a new Vcv which when fitted it did pump relearn. (Fitted early December)
As for the egr, the car has been remapped and the egr has been turned off so I don’t believe this could still cause a problem?
Kind regards
Post #758721 14th Feb 2019 11:05pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Have you checked your injector bolts are torqued down correctly?
The injectors can rattle terribly and won’t necessarily leak either. Although I think it’s the blow by that makes the tappety tap https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #758745 15th Feb 2019 7:37am
Defender Fun

Hi
Thank you for your message, yes they we’re torqued to the correct 7nm plus the 180 degree turn as in the manual. I’m sure they are as tight as the can be (without risking braking them).
Post #758747 15th Feb 2019 8:41am
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Mine also makes this noise most noticable going up hill on friday its having the rocker cover gasket done but at the same time changing the fuel regulator i don't know if this has anything to do with it
Post #758748 15th Feb 2019 8:42am
Caterham

Very Happy

I know this is going to sound mad but it was my problem. I was convinced for ages there was a problem with my engine and like yourself it was when it would under load.

I turned out to be the transfer box. Real simple one. Try engaging diff lock / dis-engage and use hi / low and see if that has any bearing what so ever on what I would have previously called injector knock.

I know it sounds highly unlikely but no harm in trying huh?
Post #758771 15th Feb 2019 10:21am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Defender Fun wrote:
Hi
Thank you for both your reply’s, I have done an injector and Pump learn, the injectors was successful however the pump not I did try it again but no luck. But will give it another go. Please note I have a Hawkeye total (Bearmach one). It has also had a new Vcv which when fitted it did pump relearn. (Fitted early December)
As for the egr, the car has been remapped and the egr has been turned off so I don’t believe this could still cause a problem?
Kind regards

I had problems re learning the pump and it was because of the ambient air temperature, Pete at BAS told me to do it in a heated garage (not a luxury I have!) . Instead i waited until the afternoon , took it for a warm up drive and that time it did it. Temp was probably around 11-12c rather than 4-5c ! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #758775 15th Feb 2019 10:25am
Defender Fun

Hi
Yes that could suggest the problem, as even though the car was warm, the ambient temp was about 4 degrees if not less. Will give it another go. Luckily I do have a heated double garage but unfortunately both my series projects are taking up the room Laughing .
Will give it another try after a drive to get it up to temperature.
Post #758783 15th Feb 2019 10:59am
Defender Fun

Caterham wrote:
Very Happy

I know this is going to sound mad but it was my problem. I was convinced for ages there was a problem with my engine and like yourself it was when it would under load.

I turned out to be the transfer box. Real simple one. Try engaging diff lock / dis-engage and use hi / low and see if that has any bearing what so ever on what I would have previously called injector knock.

I know it sounds highly unlikely but no harm in trying huh?

Hi
This may relate to my problem some way, as about a week before the injectors become loose and these problems arised I had my front and rear output shaft seals changed on the transfer box. As I barely drove it after having the seals changed until the injectors became loose I’m unsure if it was making a noise. But could changing the seals have an affect on the transfer box? In the context that I’m experiencing?
I will give it a go between the different stages of difflock and low range to see if I can check. But did it result in the transfer box needing to be replaced for you?
Kind regards
Post #758786 15th Feb 2019 11:04am
Caterham

no. for me the linkage assembly needed adjusting.

basically the diff lock was not getting full movement from locked to unlocked ie the lever was not capable of moving the rotary thing on the transfer box all the way towards the unlocked position.

To be completely sure crawl underneath. disconnect the linkage and manually move the lever fully into the unlocked position. Thumbs Up

hopefully an easy thing to eliminate. like I say for a long time it sounded to me like injector knock. only happened when the engine was under load.
Post #758830 15th Feb 2019 3:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1