↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > One for the Aussie & Kiwis please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
VVS210

United Kingdom 
One for the Aussie & Kiwis please
Hi guys, not Defender related but stil, a 'green oval' question.

As you guys have speed limits in kmh I am trying to find out whether speedos on facelift Discovery 2s have both kmh & mph readings on the dials and also whether the odometer reading can be 'toggled' between km & miles by pressing & holding the trip like the UK spec ones can.

Any of you got a D2 or have friends or family with one who can answer the question I'd be very grateful please.

Thanks.
Post #758584 14th Feb 2019 1:19pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Hi VVS,

My dad brought a 2004 Japanese import V8 Disco, The speedo dail only has Kph and no MPG. Also the trip/odo cannot swap between KM and Miles. So a new 'Face' was fitted to the speedo and we can live with the ODO being in KM.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #758590 14th Feb 2019 2:25pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Thanks Will, this is very helpful. Don’t suppose you know whether he tried to change the odometer in the BCU do you as that’s one thing I’d like to find the answer to. The dial change makes sense & shouldn’t be too difficult to sort out with a second hand binnacle from a breaker. Just would like to have the odometer reading in miles not km if possible but not the end of the world if not.
Post #758651 14th Feb 2019 7:29pm
derbywill

No he hasn’t tried it, but I might have chance tomorrow to plug it in with the Nanocom.
I’ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #758668 14th Feb 2019 8:55pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Thanks Will, that'd be great Thumbs Up
Post #758737 15th Feb 2019 12:01am
derbywill

Hi Steve,

Plugged the Disco in tonight with the Nanocom and there isn’t anything that can be changed regarding the KM/Mile reading of the ODO.
These where the only options in the body computer -

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

On other positive news I fitted the Tornado tuned ECU fitted and programmed the security code Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Kind Regards

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #759520 19th Feb 2019 12:08am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
You've probably already tried this, but:

Quote:
A push button located next to the LCD is utilised to reset the trip meter to zero and to change the units from miles to kilometres. Turn the ignition onto pos II then Pressing the button for less than 2 seconds allows the display to reset to zero. Pressing the button for more than 2 seconds changes the units from miles to kilometres and vice versa. The units will only change for UK, NAS and Canadian market vehicles.
Post #759530 19th Feb 2019 8:14am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Hi Jim, the last sentence is the key there Whistle

Will, thanks for looking into the BCU, like you, it's not going to be the end of the world if the odometer records in km at the end of the day, would just be nice to have it all in miles. Has your dad had a tornado chip before? I have looked at them & wonder what's so special about them for the money as they don't increase HP much & torque increase doesn't seem that much either. I know they say they sort the torque out at 3000rpm & increase mileage by 10-15% but is it that noticeable for the £500+ cost?
Post #759531 19th Feb 2019 8:38am
derbywill

Hi Steve,

No he hasn't had a Tornado chip before, but were are trying to make it a reliable as possible (I know Land Rover and reliable don't normally go together)
We have opted for the Secondary air injection system to be turned off which also turns off 2 of the Lambda sensors and makes it more like a UK spec vehicle.
Sourcing parts for the SAI can be expensive and generally only 2nd hand.
Also gone for the P38 MAF which gives it around 10bhp, I must admit 3000 rpm and above it didn't really do much but I haven't had chance to drive it yet as I will Dinitrol before it hits the road again (after a good steam clean beforehand).

Couple of images of the chassis below (I have fitted the side steps)

Cheers

Will

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #759768 20th Feb 2019 1:44pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Wow, for a 14 year old car that chassis is pretty impressive!

I thought SAI was also fitted to UK spec D2 V8s? Certainly trawling the ads for facelift cars there are loads of photos of the engine showing the valve units? Photo below is from a Metropolis UK car.

Click image to enlarge
Post #759864 20th Feb 2019 8:38pm
derbywill

I believe it was fitted to the later V8’s but parts are expensive and getting harder to find.
Corrosion wise I think the rear mudflap brackets are the worst with a small amount of surface rust.
We just want to make the car as reliable as possible and a vehicle that will last.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #759887 20th Feb 2019 10:02pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
derbywill wrote:
Hi VVS,

My dad brought a 2004 Japanese import V8 Disco, The speedo dail only has Kph and no MPG. Also the trip/odo cannot swap between KM and Miles. So a new 'Face' was fitted to the speedo and we can live with the ODO being in KM.

Cheers

Will

Will,

Been trying to research as much as I can on the speedo swap, as you know. Exactly how do you swap the 'face' over? Do you need to remove the needle or does the whole speedo head come out? Advice from D2BC suggests you need to take the needle off & literally just swap the face itself but that has resulted in wobbly needle etc. Also that even if you just swap the face over the car shows the higher 'mileage' reading so get one from a low mileage car - that just doesn't sound right to me?! Am thinking of buying a second hand instrument pack & seeing how it goes together so I can see for myself what comes apart & how.

Thanks for all your help so far & the pics have clinched it for me, after seeing so many supposedly good chassis with patches & sealer on them it absolutely has to be a Japanese import for me Thumbs Up - although... I have been wondering about whether to see if I can get a good RRC LSE over there rather than a D2 Whistle
Post #762127 6th Mar 2019 8:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1