↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What is the law and insurance like with seat removal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mini Landie

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Belize Green
What is the law and insurance like with seat removal?
I'm interested in buying a Defender 90 TD5 and am after one with two front seats, cubby box and no rear seats (however bench seats would be fine).

I am seeing many nice ones online that don't quite fit the bill (two front seats but some rear seats or three front seats and no rear seats).

I wouldn't like to discount these vehicles just because of the seat arrangements so am wondering if I were to opt for a vehicle with three front seats or some rear seats, if I could remove them and replace the middle seat with a cubby box?

I've done my darndest trying to search for a question like mine but I'm not having much luck. Sad
Post #780116 4th Jul 2019 10:55am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I had years ago a 90 with three front seats I removed the centre one and did as you are planning and put a cubby in. I notified my insurance co and they were fine, I rang DVLA and they said that it could cause problems if I sold it and the new keeper wanted to replace the centre seat, they were happy just to leave it as three seats. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #780121 4th Jul 2019 11:31am
Mini Landie

Good to hear!

I've not long come off the phone with A Plan (their Off Road section/branch) and the very nice lady on the phone said there shouldn't be an issue - it would just be listed as a modification. They said it would only really be an issue if I took the vehicle to over 7 seats, which won't be happening so no issues there.

That's a sigh of relief! Opens me up to many more 'fenders!
Post #780124 4th Jul 2019 11:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Removing seats is seldom if ever a problem.

Fitting extra seats is often a problem and can be a minefield.
Post #780126 4th Jul 2019 12:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
When I insured a 90 a couple of years ago, I swapped the middle seat for a cubby. When I mentioned this to the broker, they said it's best not to mention it as some insurers see it as a modification that they won't cover. The fact that Land Rovers come in so many varieties makes it impossible to prove if that sort of thing is a modification or original. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #780127 4th Jul 2019 12:17pm
Mini Landie

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
The fact that Land Rovers come in so many varieties makes it impossible to prove if that sort of thing is a modification or original.

That's the thing... there must be so many Defenders out there that owners have insured their vehicle as having no modifications because it looks standard (like someone swapped a middle seat for a cubby box or even resprayed the vehicle).

I had the same dilemma when I purchased my first car (classic Mini). I hadn't had any real firsthand experience with Minis so I couldn't say for sure how modified or not my vehicle was - because I just didn't know. Other than the modern head unit that was installed.
Post #780128 4th Jul 2019 12:22pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
When I went to get a quote from A plan they asked as to whether all 9 seats would be installed, and that having all 9 was a reason they couldn’t quote for me. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #780136 4th Jul 2019 1:12pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
I have mentioned this before but LV would not cover my CSW because it had the centre seat removed. Seat removal was a prohibited modification for them. So you might lose some insurers. Some won’t consider vehicles with 7 seats because of increased injury costs.
I would say don’t exclude a vehicle but accept you will need to shop around on the insurance. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #780211 4th Jul 2019 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1