↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Intercooler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire Dave

England 
Intercooler
I see on here theres articles on replacing the original intercooler to boost power can you give me some details on this ,what type and where to obtain one please.
Post #755425 1st Feb 2019 11:41am
Alex1976

England 
Replacing the inter cooler on its own will not do anything to increase power. By replacing the standard intercooler with one which is more efficient allows you to tune the fuel injection pump to increase fuel delivery, as the intercooler can provide a more dense, cooler charge of air to match. The increased fuel, matched with the increased air volume will result in more power.

The tuning of the fuel injection pump is very well covered on the internet with some very good articles on own to do it.

You can either go for a more efficient drop in replacement intercooler that sits in exactly the same position as the stock version, but is more efficient in its design, or you can go for a full size front mounted intercooler that sits in front of the radiator and has a greater cooling capacity.

I would have gone with a full size intercooler but I have an auto and the space is taken up with a auto oil cooler so stuck with the stock location of the intercooler, but still achieved much better performance.

In terms of where to source your intercooler from, there are two main choices. Either go to one of the known tuning companies that manufacture these and expect to pay £350 to £400 for this. Alternatively look on eBay and there are a number of sellers providing Chinese made versions for around £100.

I have recently replaced my Allisport intercooler that developed a split with a Chinese eBay version and can vouch for the quality and performance of the Chinese intercoolers.
Post #755433 1st Feb 2019 12:25pm
Cheshire Dave

England 
Alex,
Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Dave
Post #755444 1st Feb 2019 1:11pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Re: Intercooler
Cheshire Dave wrote:
I see on here theres articles on replacing the original intercooler to boost power can you give me some details on this ,what type and where to obtain one please.

i installed an allisport full width intercooler and replaced all hoses with silicone. this added 20-25% power in my estimation and increased mpg. i didn't touch the fuel injector pump. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #760424 23rd Feb 2019 8:09pm
Cheshire Dave

England 
That's interesting!
Post #760427 23rd Feb 2019 8:14pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
foxhound wrote:
Cheshire Dave wrote:

i installed an allisport full width intercooler and replaced all hoses with silicone. this added 20-25% power in my estimation and increased mpg. i didn't touch the fuel injector pump.

No offence but that sounds more than a tad optimistic.
Post #760434 23rd Feb 2019 8:23pm
Cheshire Dave

England 
If I can get that or even near it, would be excellent!
Post #760450 23rd Feb 2019 9:12pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
did my 300 allisport , boost pin has made a lot of difference , in Gloucester we have a hill called birdlip , its a lorry killer and a few cars in the summer .i had to go down to 4th but now 5th easy to get up it .
i carry a lot in the back and now fine the defender so much better to drive with a load.

going to fit the boost ring in the next week . Thumbs Up
Post #760541 24th Feb 2019 12:35pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Zed wrote:
foxhound wrote:
Cheshire Dave wrote:

i installed an allisport full width intercooler and replaced all hoses with silicone. this added 20-25% power in my estimation and increased mpg. i didn't touch the fuel injector pump.

No offence but that sounds more than a tad optimistic.

it was a very very dramatic change in power, frogsisland 4x4 commented on it (they fitted it). 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #760837 26th Feb 2019 2:49pm
Cheshire Dave

England 
All sounds promising though, if I can get a cheaper alternative for the intercooler from the bay if anyone's got a link please
Post #760842 26th Feb 2019 3:29pm
Cheshire Dave

England 
Alex1976 wrote:
Replacing the inter cooler on its own will not do anything to increase power. By replacing the standard intercooler with one which is more efficient allows you to tune the fuel injection pump to increase fuel delivery, as the intercooler can provide a more dense, cooler charge of air to match. The increased fuel, matched with the increased air volume will result in more power.

The tuning of the fuel injection pump is very well covered on the internet with some very good articles on own to do it.

You can either go for a more efficient drop in replacement intercooler that sits in exactly the same position as the stock version, but is more efficient in its design, or you can go for a full size front mounted intercooler that sits in front of the radiator and has a greater cooling capacity.

I would have gone with a full size intercooler but I have an auto and the space is taken up with a auto oil cooler so stuck with the stock location of the intercooler, but still achieved much better performance.

In terms of where to source your intercooler from, there are two main choices. Either go to one of the known tuning companies that manufacture these and expect to pay £350 to £400 for this. Alternatively look on eBay and there are a number of sellers providing Chinese made versions for around £100.

I have recently replaced my Allisport intercooler that developed a split with a Chinese eBay version and can vouch for the quality and performance of the Chinese intercoolers.

Can you send me a link on ebay for the intercooler?
Post #761536 2nd Mar 2019 4:19pm
Alex1976

England 
This is the one I bought from eBay and really impressed with it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=ht...1046665754
Post #761540 2nd Mar 2019 4:33pm
Cheshire Dave

England 
Thanks, tell me what makes this or similar better than the standard one as fitted?
Post #761548 2nd Mar 2019 5:28pm
Alex1976

England 
These are meant to have better cooling efficiency than the originals. However, if you really want to go for the biggest improvement, then you need to go for the full width front mount intercooler.

I used this one as my auto box oil cooler is in the front so it would be difficult to use the full width cooler, and to be honest, I am getting as much performance as I want out of this intercooler.
Post #761584 2nd Mar 2019 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1