↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > TDCI full engine recondition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Exactly, that's why I put up this new post to find if any of our forum members have any real knowledge and experience dealing with them and can make a recommendation. I don't have the space or lifting gear to do this type of work in my engineering workshop and I'd rather pay someone to do a good job. At the moment defenders are holding their price so I feel it's worth investing in it. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #757225 7th Feb 2019 11:18pm
snowric

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Sump isnt a one use item but the LR one is designed so you can get things like the alternator out I think. Snowy
Post #758316 13th Feb 2019 10:00am
B4Lamb

Yes I have confirmed that sump is reusable even though they are fitted with adhesive gasket glue.

I decided in the end to buy a new engine through Turner Engineering. It's factory Ford produced for Transits and just needs the sump changed over. I'm getting my local garage to do the transplant starting next week.

With garage costs it will be around £5000 but it will a job well done I'm sure.

It means I will have an engine that is will be a good project for someone for recoUV Dye & Torch Kit nditioning as it is a runner and with bottom end shells and bearings and new timing chain/tensioner I'm sure it's good for another 100k "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #758323 13th Feb 2019 10:42am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Could you please update us in due course about how you get on with the new engine and your level of satisfaction?

The mileage on my Defender is now high enough (240k miles) for me to be starting to think about a mid-life engine overhaul, and one of Turner's engines is currently top of the list of possibilities. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.
Post #758342 13th Feb 2019 12:21pm
B4Lamb

Wow, ,240k that is impressive.
In this case Turners are not really adding any value as they are just re-selling a stock Ford built engine and don't even fit a Land Rover sump. So I don't expect any issues but ill follow up this thread with the outcome and any other bits that I may have to buy other that fluids and filters to finish the job.

The purchase from Turners buys you about £120 credit for the next purchase so if I end up having to buy an injector or a new Turbo then it will offset that a bit "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #758396 13th Feb 2019 4:33pm
B4Lamb

Wow, ,240k that is impressive.
In this case Turners are not really adding any value as they are just re-selling a stock Ford built engine and don't even fit a Land Rover sump. So I don't expect any issues but ill follow up this thread with the outcome and any other bits that I may have to buy other that fluids and filters to finish the job.

The purchase from Turners buys you about £120 credit for the next purchase so if I end up having to buy an injector or a new Turbo then it will offset that a bit "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #758397 13th Feb 2019 4:42pm
hornet

blackwolf wrote:
[...]
The mileage on my Defender is now high enough (240k miles) for me to be starting to think about a mid-life engine overhaul, and one of Turner's engines is currently top of the list of possibilities. I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

My 2009er has similar mileage, which calculation shows that a general overhaul at this time is cheaper (or has advantages) than a replacement engine at a later time, e.g. after a major damage?
Post #758399 13th Feb 2019 4:47pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Big Harold wrote:
Caterham wrote:
can you explain why the sump is a one use item?
I presume in the case of the rocket cover because it's plastic but again I'm surprised it can't be re-used?

They are both pressed metal and very thin, both glued on.
you could possibly reuse if you are carefull with removal but both are cheap to buy so not worth the trouble.
mark

thank you.
Post #758404 13th Feb 2019 4:58pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
sorry if this is going a little off topic....

there's mention here of recon engines but no mention of complete engine swap ie with a second hand one.
what's the thoughts on swapping with a low mileage unit. ie if a defender had been written off from having components stolen or rear ended but the engine (whole) was low mileage would people consider this option.
Also could someone with a 2.4 swap for a low mileage 2.2 or is that by far too much work? I guess it could have the dpf removed as the 2.4 never had one so I'm guessing it would be acceptable to remove it from the 2.2 - sure it would need to be mapped accordingly.
Post #758406 13th Feb 2019 5:02pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
This time last year my timing chain jumped a cog resulting in the 2.4 tdci engine being wrecked at 105,000 miles.
I went through the usual options-

01. Good second hand engine - there seemed to be several available from various sources, oddly they all had done around 50k. miles and were in "excellent condition". My conclusion - Breakers know what will sell and could not prove the claimed mileage let alone service history.

02. Reconditioned - lots of research and I came to the conclusion that the engine was not designed with reconditioning in mind-tolerances were too tight to allow much metal removal before compromising the integrity of the unit. Lots of £1000 "recon" units from unheard of sources. Well known sources (Turner and the like) charged a sensible price, but that was only 20% - 25% less than a new engine.

03. New Ford (Land Rover spec) stripped unit from M&D engineering, good price and no need to replace the sump.

I choose option 3 added a new turbo and BAS intercooler (already had BAS remap) together with a new starter.

20,000 miles later I'm very pleased with my choice.
Post #758429 13th Feb 2019 6:53pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I’ve always considered what would happen with a full engine failure. How far off are 3.2 TDCI conversions to buying a recon?
Post #758438 13th Feb 2019 7:13pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Ivor Searle https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source...3baS8YTqc-

Got there in the end. No experience of them but seemed decent at the Show, drew my attention as they're only just up the road to me, but like I say no experience of them. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #758459 13th Feb 2019 8:54pm
B4Lamb

shropshiredefender wrote:

I went through the usual options-.....

03. New Ford (Land Rover spec) stripped unit from M&D engineering, good price and no need to replace the sump.

I choose option 3 added a new turbo and BAS intercooler (already had BAS remap) together with a new starter.

20,000 miles later I'm very pleased with my choice.

I wished you had popped up earlier? M&D are a good deal cheaper and would have saved me £900 Inc VAT, enough for a new set of injectors and with chsnge. Censored ...
I've gone back to Turners to get them to justify such a big price difference on something they have added no value to. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #758478 13th Feb 2019 9:53pm
B4Lamb

I contacted Turners and M&D today. Turners say their prices have risen due to Ford price hike and also they offer 12 months unlimited mileage warranty. M&D offer parts only warranty only for 1 year however "at the end of the day" that's effectively what would have to be established with Turner's should a failure occur. I'd rather take the risk and save £900 and if a failure occurs break the problem down to a part that failed in the engine that could not have been induced by some other component that is bolted or connected to the stripped engine.

Both Turner and M&D stripped engines are built at Ford and Ford offers no warranty for either company to fall back on so it's a lottery although you would expect Ford to adopt good quality control of parts and assembly process!!. Anyway, some people may be happy or rather more at ease with the Turner warranty approach but it's not a given for all I'm sure.

Turner Engineering are a true professional company and we're happy to allow order cancellation with a minimal handling charge. I've now switched my order to M&D and included a new Turbo charger and it still came out at a lower final price.

Ben Barker at M&D asked me to thank those on Defender2.net for suggesting his company as an alternative and that is echoed by me. Thanks chaps...... Razz

When it comes to reconditioning and rebuilding I'm sure Turner Engineering come into their own, they certainly have some serious and impressive machinery and skilled engineers. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #758689 14th Feb 2019 9:40pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
There are a couple of things to be aware of with fitting a later engine and Turbo -

Ben suggested an oil and filter change at 100 and 300 miles to protect the new Turbo - you will need to check the oil filter part number - it is different to the original one.

If you feel the need to alter the engine number on your V5 get the number off the new unit before it is fitted (it did not appear on the paperwork that I had).

Because the engine was designed to be fitted east west in a van the pipework and electrical loom to fit it north south in a Defender is complex, prone to abrasion and over long. Your engine fitter will need to take great care to ensure that hoses and the loom do not rub against any other part, all those clips need attaching and sometimes reinforced with cable ties. My guy was meticulous and checks for problems at every (now) 6000 mile oil and filter change.

Be lucky Thumbs Up
Post #759207 17th Feb 2019 2:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>