↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Crossmember reconditioning in Surrey??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
Rear Crossmember reconditioning in Surrey??
Anyone know anywhere good i can get the rear cross member on my 90 TD5 sorted out in Surrey?

Its showing signs of surface rust, mainly around the holes in the crossmember. I would ideally like it brought back to an original look. Unfortunately i dont have a garage or facilities to do it properly hence i need someone to do it. I am fairly confident its just surface rust, but want to catch it before it becomes structural.

I guess the backside (nearest fuel tank) would also need some sort of protection too. I guess in an ideal world, it would be taken off, sandblasted and repainted etc, however im looking for a cost effective solution, so that probably isnt it.

If anyone knows any places or has any ideas, please share.

Cheers Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #70801 13th May 2011 10:56am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Might be an idea to call your local dealership to see who they use - they will be used to doing them. Would be a lot cheaper in Cornwall of course Rolling Eyes Any body shop would do it, it would be worth watching them to make sure they strip the rust out properly first Thumbs Up
Post #70824 13th May 2011 3:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I did my old 90 TD5 a few years ago with spray matt black Hammerite and turned out great, just go over the surface with 400 grit and mask off the bodywork, 20 minute job.
Post #70825 13th May 2011 3:18pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
Yeah Surrey is expensive!!

I did think of doing it myself but wasnt sure if it should be left to the professionals. I guess whatever i do cant be any worse than just the rust. Maybe i will rub it back myself and get a decent undercoat on there and get the final spray done properly.

Better start researching the best stuff to use now. Need a spell of good weather then.

The local dealer is a good idea. I think Guava in Godalming are meant to be good. They are very local to me. Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #70826 13th May 2011 3:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1