↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Group Buys > Stainless Steel Tub Cappings (90 with no bulkhead)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blue Blood

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
Stainless Steel Tub Cappings (90 with no bulkhead)
Hi All,

Only me (again) with another convoluted idea. I have been talking to some fabricators on the possibility of producing some cappings for a rear tub on a 90 (bulkhead free version).
I know what some maybe thinking…”that already exists", "what’s the point?”, “if it ain’t broke’, etc. However the main difference here is having them produced in Stainless Steel. The main benefit is that it would not rust, I know there are galvanised options out there but they don’t go very well with a sleek colour scheme plus they do have a tendency to still rust which definetly doesn’t go with a sleek colour scheme.

At this point I am just talking to the fabricator who is also a Landy nut (which always helps) and they’ve advised me that to have them produced there would have to be enough people interested in the first place, so this I guess is the first baby step to see if I am alone on this or if other people would be interested? I know a big part of this would be price dependent but at this stage I just wanted to see if there were people genuinley interested or if people think its just a stupid idea and that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Just feel free to reply to this topic on your thoughts an feelings or potential interest.

Regards Blue
Post #1023096 31st Jan 2024 1:42pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The only problem that I see is that stainless is further away from aluminum in the galvanic table. What that means is that when they are in contact, a greater potential is created, and the lesser noble material, in this case Aluminum will corrode more readily. Not something that I would like. This would be made worse when surface areas are large. Many Defender owners go into great lengths to isolate small SS bolts from the aluminum.

How about making them from aircraft grade, preferably extruded aluminum, and hard anodized for the ultimate corrosion resistance? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1023108 31st Jan 2024 3:27pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
I can't see how they can be accuratley reproduced without a significant investment in press tooling and said tooling wouldnt last very long working with stainless.
Post #1023114 31st Jan 2024 4:45pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i dont see a market for them.

original painted/ galv ones are plentiful on the used market

aftermarket painted or galv plentiful for sale new as well

we already have steel and alloy corrosion why would you add another steel to the mix
Post #1023122 31st Jan 2024 5:41pm
Blue Blood

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bonatti Grey
These are all good solid point. However I can’t help but wonder where the steel comes into contact with bare aluminium. The upper part has a foam seal on above and the tubs are painted. So other than bolts /rivets joining I am not sure where the interaction would be?
Also speaking to the fabricator I think he said the design might need to be slightly modified (I’m assuming he is talking about the bump).
But thanks everyone so far for feedback it’s good hearing peoples thoughts and opinions and knowing if there are any potential areas to consider/improve 😊
Post #1023138 31st Jan 2024 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1