↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Student deaths
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Student deaths
I've read and heard about several young people dying during the first months of being at university.

Only this week, a young lad at Reading was found dead after a night out and a girl has gone missing in Hull.

On average, 1 student dies every 4 days I've read. Some are accidental deaths (drugs/alcohol/falls); some suicides (mostly men - 2 thirds) - few are criminal events but I fear that the girl in Hull will turn out to be a victim of a crime.

My personal connection to this? A daughter at university in Sheffield and a son who's just finished in Hull. Could have been us.

I feel for their families and feel so sad that what should have been a great time in their lives is the last time they had. I remember how hard it was to move away from home and make new friends in a new city. I was depressed and lonely for a few months until i found my feet.
Post #756521 5th Feb 2019 4:37pm
donmacn

Yup, it's a worrying thought.

Our lad is in his 3rd year in Glasgow and - 'touch wood' - we haven't really had too much to worry about there. At least as far as we know. No doubt that 'whatsapp' or other social media make it much easier to stay in touch than was the case in my day when you had to find a payphone in the student halls and hope someone was home.

Our daughter will do her final school exams this spring, and depending on the results, she's looking at university in Glasgow as well. A slightly higher 'worry factor' as far as she's concerned, though there's no doubt she's got her head on right.

I remember clearly leaving him at his Halls and walking away. Scary times. Partly because I remember the day that my Dad did the same with me - and the huge feeling of freedom I had. It helped us, that both my wife and I went to the same Uni, knew the streets, pubs, location etc. So we had a good sense of where he was, and what life was like there.

Leaving school/turning 18 is one thing; leaving home is another. Put them both together at the same time, along with lots of other young folk in the same position, and it's a pretty heady cocktail.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain that goes with some of those tragedies. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #756525 5th Feb 2019 5:11pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I retired as a University lecturer in June having taught for forty years, and student’s lifestyles have changed beyond recognition over those four decades, what with the abolition of maintenance grants and the staggering cost of tuition that falls on students to pay for tertiary education.

When I first started teaching students they were a lot more independent than they are now, plus there were fewer pressures on them.

My thoughts and what I think was a big mistake is the cutting down on halls of residence as student accommodation, where both female and male wardens would become almost surrogate parents to the young people who stayed in this type of accommodation, now as is often the case students find themselves in rented accommodation without support and left to fend on their own.

It is a sad fact that some students even though they are surrounded by hundreds of their own peers suffer incredible loneliness and as a result fall deeper and deeper into depression. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #756541 5th Feb 2019 5:50pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I’ve heard quite a few stories of students taking a “hot dose” of whatever from someone who’s used to 3 times the dose and OD’ing

A girl at my councilling sessions was there for PTSD for something that happened to her. She was at quite a prestigious uni doing quite a prestigious subject.

Her story was really quite disturbing and not exactly relevant no appropriate for a car forum besides it’s not my story to share.

My experiences have left me quite robotic emotionally, but even I was left damaged by her story and quite angry.

Worst thing is that her experience also involved her classmates and lecturers, the people who were supposed to support and protect her, instead we’re part of the cause of her breakdown.

Even I’m suffering at her pain. And I don’t suffer from my own problems so much these days. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #756544 5th Feb 2019 6:04pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
education has changed so much having worked in that sector for 29 years . the pressure for results have been put on staff who then pass it on to there students . but has been said there is less halls of residence and more private let .meaning the student is isolated . I know from first hand having seen it for myself a young girl who took a overdose because she could not get the results she needed . but she also could not get the help she needed <she> luck took its part and was found by a flatmate and after a week in hospital she went home to her parents .
Post #756730 6th Feb 2019 2:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1