↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Crash Tested Dog Crates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Crash Tested Dog Crates
Does anyone have any experience of crash tested dog crates? I would like a dog crate for the back of my Disco Sport but I'm concerned that a standard mesh crate would not stand much of a chance if hit from behind as it would be located within the crumple zone. They are quite expensive, circa £450 to £600, so I'd like a bit more information before spending the wife's hard earned cash.

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #755438 1st Feb 2019 12:55pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
I have experience of using a crash-tested crate, but not crashing with the dog in it.

I have seen these types of crates used, mostly in mainland Europe and heard from some that the vertical rail design is not good as the animal can get its limbs through them quite easily and potentially get trapped. I can't corroborate this, just read it so thought i'd mention it.

I've been using a TransK9 B21 for the last 5 years, which started life in my FL2 and is now in my 110. They are also crash-tested.

https://www.transk9.com/crash-testing/

It's constructed from steel and feels very robust, and is certainly a struggle to fit and remove on your own. I have it lashed down too to prevent it rolling/sliding about. It also has the escape door should the normal doors be inaccessible. Mine has a removable divider too, which is useful when carrying other dogs.

Click image to enlarge

https://www.transk9.com/select/land-rover/...-2015/b21/

I also have a selection of wire crates which I used before purchasing this, which are obviously less robust.
Post #755447 1st Feb 2019 1:14pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Something that doesn’t always get much consideration in the orientation of the crate. Think about which way the dogs will be facing if you have a crash, ideally they want to be perpendicular to a head on to prevent the dogs hitting the side of the crate “head on” as it puts much less load through he neck and spine and increases chances of survival. I’ve only seen the transK9 in the flesh and they are well built and could take some abuse. I build

Hopefully that makes sense.
Post #755633 2nd Feb 2019 8:18am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 
We have the 4pets PRO TÜV approved ones from Switzerland 🇨🇭

Hopefully will never experience their ability in a crash, but so far they seem really well built and thought out. The one in my other half’s has been used close to daily for 5 years and still looks and feels like new.

I’ve also seen quite a few of the others and likewise they have been very well built, I’m not actually sure I’ve seen a bad one once you are beyond the fold down wire cage things.

I just have the dog guard in the defender though.

Last edited by TJH1985 on 2nd Feb 2019 11:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #755639 2nd Feb 2019 8:50am
Siwynne

England 
2nd the trans k9
I have a single box for two labs. It’s been excellent.

Click image to enlarge

Rear escape hatch in case safari door is disabled in a bump. Well built. Easy to get in and out. Lockable so good for leaving stuff in if dogs aren’t in it.
Post #755641 2nd Feb 2019 10:07am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I used a trans K9 for years and they are very well built. Don’t bother now as Monty prefers the passenger seat Whistle
Post #755647 2nd Feb 2019 11:05am
discomog

Thanks to everyone for their input, I've decided to go for the TransK9, B34 model.

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #755835 3rd Feb 2019 7:27am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Does anyone know what the TUV test includes or what crash test has been carried out ?

Is the crate tested with the specific vehicle or is it a generic test of some sort ? http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #755882 3rd Feb 2019 12:07pm
discomog

I looked at 3 different manufacturers, one from Switzerland, one from Sweden and one from the UK. Unfortunately they have all been tested to different standards. The Swiss one was tested to TUV although this appears to be mainly for the standards of manufacture although they state that the crate is crash tested though there are no specific details of the test. The Swedish one is tested by the Technical Research Institute of Sweden, again crash tested but no details of the test. The one manufactured in the UK has been independently tested by The University of the West of Scotland and they do give results of the tests at various speeds, both rear impact and frontal impact. They also publish figures for deflection under impact and also permanent deformation after impact.

Crash tests are not specific to vehicles but generic.

I decided on the UK manufactured one, TransK9 for three main reasons - it was 100mm taller than the other two, I was happy that they publish their crash test results and they are used extensively by Mountain Rescue and police forces throughout the UK. Also a number of forum members were more than happy with their dog crates from TransK9. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #755903 3rd Feb 2019 1:22pm
Siwynne

England 
For crash tests to be specific to a vehicle boxes would need to be secured to the vehicle in a standardised fashion. Any straps used would need to be standardised and fixing point rated for weights of box plus dog in order to measure performance in a crash. Too complex to do this across vehicle brands so all manufacturers can do is test their own boxes.
A well made box is useless in a crash if just shoved in the back of a truck unsecured.
Post #755936 3rd Feb 2019 4:24pm
discomog

All of the crates I have mentioned above supply securing straps to secure to the standard tie down fixings. Unfortunately no such thing as ISO fixing as per child safety seats. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #755944 3rd Feb 2019 4:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1