↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Alternator, am i just being thick?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Alternator, am i just being thick?
Seem to have some issues with my V8 project's alternator.

Connected the last of the wiring up the other weekend and realised that no charge warning light was illuminating. Also had some strange issues where the charge warning light lit up dimly when ignition is off. I traced the issue to the 'L' terminal on the alternator permanently being at 12v even with the engine off. This was backfeeding some systems (in combination with the immobiliser unit) and making the lamp illuminate with the ignition off. With the engine running there was no charging either

I assumed that we had damaged the regulator unit on the alternator by running the engine with it not connected to the battery or charge light. So bought a new regulator unit off the internet which bolts onto the back and provides the 'W' and 'L' terminal and has two brushes onto the rotor shaft.

Connected all back up and exactly the same symptoms, 'L' terminal permanently at 12V (with charge warning light disconnected). Alternator just about offers some charge voltage (13v when revved) but drops off as it warms up. Charge light none functional at any point.

Earthing the charge warning light feed directly causes the charge warning light to work correctly (TD5 LEDs in binnacle).

Does anyone have any ideas? I am assuming/hoping it is diode damage as i dont think these are part of the regulator I changed. The alternator is a standard 100A Magnetti Morelli from a 98' Discovery V8.

Cheers,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #761828 4th Mar 2019 11:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1