↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Advice please selling to Southern Ireland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Advice please selling to Southern Ireland
Hi I've had an enquiry from a gentleman in Dublin regarding a Motorbike i am selling and he has requested my bank details so he can pay the full amount of money in and he has also asked what do to do with the V5,I've had a look on DVLA and cant get a very clear answer regarding this can anyone please advise me,he is sending a courier to collect the bike once funds have been paid in to my bank account.any help would be gratefully received. Paul
Post #752785 21st Jan 2019 2:28pm
edo

United Kingdom 
I'm sure it's fine but tread carefully here. I dont think you need to do anything other than complete the V5 and send it off YOURSELF.

Needless to say, dont let it go until the money is unequivocally in your account!
Post #752786 21st Jan 2019 2:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
You will have to ask the question of yourself, would you buy a second hand motor bike/vehicle unseen from a private individual in a foreign country and pay up front for it, then send a courier to collect?

Brendan
Post #752789 21st Jan 2019 3:43pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I trust this is a legitimate purchase. However - it can turn into a classic scam! The scam is that the buyer transfers too much money into your account - says he has made a mistake, and asks you to send back the difference, or give the difference to the courier who arrives the same day as the money. If you comply you find that his funds do not clear and you are left bike less .
What a cynical world we have to live in these days.
Hope all goes well though.
Post #752790 21st Jan 2019 3:49pm
Barneyboy

Hi all and thanks for the response, got to say im concerned now, the guy has seen a video of said bike and detailed photos but in answer to would i buy unseen in flesh,NO i wouldnt oh dear oh dear
Post #752801 21st Jan 2019 4:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would retain the bike until the your bank has assured you that the funds have cleared and cannot be un-transferred. I am sure I've heard of a scam where the transfer actually either hasn't happened or is reversed. Or maybe I am paranoid!
Post #752810 21st Jan 2019 5:31pm
Barneyboy

Hi thanks for that I hadn’t thought of that, he certainly sounds very genuine but I suppose that can be a good act. I’m going to see what he does via the bank and I will contact them meanwhile and go from there, I really do appreciate the above comments, I hope it is genuine and all goes to plan but the slightest hint of it going pear shaped the bike will be going nowhere Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #752828 21st Jan 2019 6:54pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Also be aware of the courier collecting the bike if everything goes OK with payment. Ensure you know the name of the courier company in advance. Ask to see drivers ID and photocopy or photograph it, as well as taking photos of the vehicle and driver and any assistants. Ensure the courier driver (whose ID and photo you have) signs for the bike and that the signature matches his ID.

If you have any doubts about the deal then walk away. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #752838 21st Jan 2019 7:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is a sad fact that a good conman is extremely likeable and plausible, at least the only ones I have ever met have been. I guess that it is a requirement for the job really, otherwise they would have to engage in thuggish crime.
Post #752841 21st Jan 2019 7:13pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Paul he will need the complete V5 to Register the Bike in Ireland.

Only part you send back to the DVLA is part 11 of the V5 certificate, Notification of permanent export.

There are still some genuine people out there, not everyone is out to scam people....last project defender I bought from Uk without seeing it, paid by direct bank transfer and had it picked up by courier. No issues once you check out whom your dealing with, or maybe I was just lucky !!

Direct bank transfer is the way to go - don't release the bike till funds are cleared by your bank then post on the V5 to his registered address.

If I can help in any way from this side let me know .

Nidge.
Post #752842 21st Jan 2019 7:15pm
Barneyboy

Hi thank you all very much for the advice given, Nidge thank you very much for you’re very kind offer, I’m very sure he is a genuine guy, I’ve spoken to him a couple of times and a couple of e mails have been sent, he has said he will email me for Bank details so he can pay the money in full and then he will arrange the Courier to collect it, I will ask for courier details via an email ie company name drivers name registration number from the buyer and check with the driver that it all matches up,
I’ve never sold a vehicle or motorcycle out of the UK before and he was unsure what happens with the V5 so thank you for the details regarding that, I very much appreciate all of your advice thank you 👍 cheers Paul
Post #752886 21st Jan 2019 9:22pm
Rkcorry

As above. This would be a very similar to the any of the many vehicles sold on a daily basis via online auction sites, the buyer being over this way is of little or no concern.

Have the sale completed via bank transfer, exchange details on the collecting agents, complete a bill of sale and give this and the v5 to the driver, take pictures to confirm the collection and condition of the bike.

Remember to detach the export slip for Swansea.

I myself have bought and sold items without meeting either buyer or seller, a certain amount of trust usually exists on both sides.

Some sales may sound too good to be true, though on smaller valued items, if it starts and stops on command it is usually as described.
Post #752887 21st Jan 2019 9:23pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
seriously Shocked

once you have the money in your account and he or a courier is collecting the bike the v5 goes with the bike.

I have done it many times, is it any wonder you all voted to leave the EU
Post #753159 22nd Jan 2019 7:00pm
Barneyboy

Hi all Pleased to say it all went very smoothly indeed, the money was paid in and he waited to hear from me before proceeding any further, the V5 was sent to him via recorded tracked delivery minus the section for DVLA and the courier arrived today at lunchtime to collect it and the box of NOS spares, he had already advised me the Company name Registration no and name of the driver which all matched and the bike was loaded and a couple of photos taken Thumbs Up many thanks for all the helpful advice you guys have given me Thumbs Up cheers Paul Tash n Barney
Post #753693 24th Jan 2019 6:54pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Glad it was an honest sale - must try to be less cynical Thumbs Up
Post #753726 24th Jan 2019 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>