↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > Wildcat LS3 Install - 18 months on...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Bristol 90XS

England 
Wildcat LS3 Install - 18 months on...
Been off here for a while and wanted to way to see how this install went before providing feedback on it, wanting to provide honest and balanced feedback. Plus I've been stripping down a Series 3 and doing a ground up rebuild on galv chassis so have been a little busy Laughing

Car is absolutely amazing, sounds great, is very powerful and now seems to be reliable. Smiles everywhere I go although is a little loud Very Happy

However it took me a while to get to he point where I can say the car is reliable and is going how it should. I expected some teething issues but not really this many. If I was to do this again I would do it differently. Having said that the install I chose was delivered I just don't think it was the optimum install and as good as it should one for the price. I can't complain as Wildcat fitted and installed what was offered and ordered however if doing this again I would specify different parts and potentially use different people.

Wildcat fixed all the issues fairly promptly at their cost, but were slow in refunding cash when I chose not to proceed with the gear shift steering paddles due to the issues I was having were causing me to question the build and question if id done the right thing in having the install. They were also slow in resolving some issues but OK with others and also hard to get hold of sometimes, having to chase quite often. Overall not the experience I expected with the outlay.

None of this is feedback I haven't given to Wildcat but to be fair all cash was refunded and all issues resolved aside form the issues relating to the initial build which was as advertised - I would just do these differently now if I was doing this again.

So the failures were:

Fuel pump failed
Aircon hose coupling failed on connection to compressor
Starter motor cable left loose and eventually would not start
Water pump failed causing engine to overheat, cut out and blow a pipe union
Engine mounting failed causing Aircon coupling to break plus a knocking as engine hitting chassis

Issues with the build:

Poor air inlet and restricted using the standard air inlet
Poor exhaust - twin pipes joined by cutting hole in one pipe and welding other into it, not a proper Y joint
Single Cat after poor exhaust joint causing further exhaust restriction
Engine map - too much sports car didn't suit Defender
Gearbox map the same
Gear selector using buttons - hated it

To overcome the issues around build I have had the air box removed and put a straight air inlet in behind drivers side headlight taking fresh air directly in.New stainless exhaust with proper Y joint and twin cat to remove restriction of poor joint and single cat. MUCH BETTER performance and engine revs so freely now.
Had engine map and gearbox better suited to car using different maps for each based on those used in the US for SUV applications for this engine and gearbox combo.
Removed PCS gear selector and replaced with a GM gear shifter. Much better now!

Car is awesome now though and an absolute beast to drive, massive performance and huge smiles!!!

James
Post #748572 1st Jan 2019 9:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Thanks James for a most informative post.
Yes, the LS3 is a very nice engine, the BEST V8 for a Defender IMHO, BUT, it has to be installed properly, as if done otherwise could be a nightmare.
Aussie is the "Land of V8s", but there are very few shops that can professionally drop an LS3 into a Defender,....it is a pretty detailed & involved conversion.
One shop that does do the job well is Les Richmond Automotive, LONG established LandRover experts, who've done a few,..anyone interested on getting a few clues could check out their website, they've done a lot of V8 stuff, dropping GM engines into Range Rovers etc.
Any pics James, or video of that glorious V8 "sound"?
Regards, Pickles.
Post #748575 1st Jan 2019 10:09pm
Bristol 90XS

England 
Yea absolutely right - needs to be done properly.

It wasn't a bad install, just wasn't as good as should have been. The failures were all on standard GM parts aside from engine mount which was LR but replaced with new engine.

However I think the water pump might have been caused by the engine mount at least in part.

The fuel pump was a weird one and caused the car to cut out at junctions etc. Bit scary but again all fixed by Wildcat.

James
Post #748577 1st Jan 2019 10:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Further to my pm, thanks for the update it is appreciated from us dreamers. Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #748593 1st Jan 2019 10:54pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
http://www.lrautomotive.com.au/

Here is the site of the premier Defender "V8 Conversion" guys in Aus, they also do heaps of other Landrover stuff,..check out the site, if ya get onto the facebook page, there's a few good videos.
Pickles.
NB: By the way, there is no "advertising" involved here, I do not personally know these guys, but I've been there, I know of them, & thought the site may give a few LS3 "hopefuls" a few ideas!
Post #748620 2nd Jan 2019 4:30am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the write up.

Did Wildcat do the maps to solve the issues, or somebody else?
Post #748737 2nd Jan 2019 6:49pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Very interesting it was an option I was considering but no longer. I would not have the knowledge to handle that level of problems and I presumed that if you are paying sky high prices it would be problem free.
Post #748765 2nd Jan 2019 8:51pm
Bristol 90XS

England 
@GREENI - no had someone else sort the mapping as Wildcat wouldn’t recognise the issue.

@CR - yes agree there really shouldn’t be any issues with a premium install like this hence why I would do things differently now nad happy to share my feedback so that others may be better informed next time. Having said that I know of two other people who have used Wildcat and are happy.

James
Post #748865 3rd Jan 2019 11:15am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
It's a shame, I think the price is staggering, the service should be outstanding to match.

Kudos to you for your honesty, I think there's a few people who've paid for a conversion and have had issues, though are too embarrased to admit so.

LS3 crate engines can have quality issues from the factory, which is a bit of a worry.
Mrs G wasn't too chuffed i dumped the blue tdi I just sold, her words 'that was the perfect car for an LS swap'!

I think my v8 90 will have one, soon.
Post #748877 3rd Jan 2019 12:32pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
They say you should never meet your heroes.

As dirty as it is I would love a absolute banger of a 90 with dents, rust and faded paint to slap a dirty great v8 in there and have a real sleeper.

Good overview though. Maybe a donor v8 from a British AJ engine could be better. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #748881 3rd Jan 2019 12:49pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ Well it is interesting that Bowler have chosen to use the new JLR V6 and V8 lumps for their Bulldog conversions, even taking their JLR association into consideration. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #748893 3rd Jan 2019 2:01pm
L110CDL

England 
OsloBlue wrote:
They say you should never meet your heroes.

As dirty as it is I would love a absolute banger of a 90 with dents, rust and faded paint to slap a dirty great v8 in there and have a real sleeper.

Good overview though. Maybe a donor v8 from a British AJ engine could be better.

Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #749015 3rd Jan 2019 10:11pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
^^^ Exactly what I thought of when I read the above comment! Thumbs Up

The ultimate 'sleeper' must get some looks at traffic lights Cool James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #749185 4th Jan 2019 5:04pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
^^^ Well it is interesting that Bowler have chosen to use the new JLR V6 and V8 lumps for their Bulldog conversions, even taking their JLR association into consideration.

I guess quite simply more power / ltr. quad valves, variable timing etc. it's a more modern engine.

I'm not saying they're better but they make more sense in a lot of ways. take the 70th edition for example.

a bit like my new mustang engine (did I just say that or imagine it Whistle )

.....and then I woke up.
Post #749198 4th Jan 2019 5:43pm
Bristol 90XS

England 
Lol would love to see the face of the bloke in the golf!

That 90 very similar to my 110, looks very standard from outside.... sound slightly different though Laughing
Post #749216 4th Jan 2019 7:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>