↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma owner ship
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
Puma owner ship
What are these like? Ie tax, mpg wise? I am putting my feelers out and might be able to touch the puma market depending on the price. Nothing set in stone at all though Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #750575 11th Jan 2019 6:41pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Mpg is about 26 -30 and be careful of tax class. Some early SW’s were nearly £500 a year, N1 commercial is - £240.

I haven’t had experience of earlier models (pre Puma.) but all positive in my book.
The EGR is a nuisance issue though but in the grand scheme of things that’s nothing. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 11th Jan 2019 9:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #750579 11th Jan 2019 6:50pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
love mine and get reasonable MPG around town and B roads, in fact about the same as my 120i (tad slower though) DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #750584 11th Jan 2019 7:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
custom90steve wrote:
I haven’t had experience of early models but all positive in my book.

Steve, I thought yours was an '07 vehicle, in which case (like mine) it is an early Puma!

Personally I think the 2.4 Puma is probably the best Defender of all, and I would take one in preference to any earlier engine or the 2.2.

I will now take cover from the Td5 owners I have just upset! Rolling with laughter
Post #750587 11th Jan 2019 7:12pm
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I am on my second Puma, the first a 2007 110 SW I had for 8 years and the only issue I had was the clutch master cylinder went just as it was out of warranty. I have had my current Puma 90 SW for over 3 years. I had a limp home episode once due apparently to a blocked fuel filter which surprised me given that it is serviced regularly. I think I prefer the 2.4 over the 2.2 as I don’t like the DPF although it hasn’t given me any problems as yet. The Puma model is probably the most civilised Defender and good for long distance work, I can drive mine for hours in comfort and without fatigue. If I didn’t have to do some long journeys I would be happy with a 300 Tdi or Td5.
Post #750592 11th Jan 2019 7:33pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
You may get an offer a bit nearer, but if you fancy a test you can take mine for a spin. I’m about an hour from Sunderland. Have a 63 plate with B6 dampers and alive springs. Drives lovely.
Post #750595 11th Jan 2019 7:41pm
Rkcorry

Double post, two doors down Embarassed

Last edited by Rkcorry on 11th Jan 2019 9:25pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #750601 11th Jan 2019 8:29pm
Zim

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have an 07XS. Yes. Tax is high for the 07 and 08 TDCI's but for me the ride is awesome. Before i swapped over my rims and tryres i could head off down the motorway at 85 no problem. It's comfy. On cold days the seats are heated, the windscreen is heated and I used it as a daily driver for 2 years.

I had to swap out the EGR at circa 34K. Somewhere there. I have had the usual rust issues with the rear NAS step, the side steps and the bullbar which have all been sandblasted and powder coated but thats it so far.

I can't compare it to a 2.2 but I am very happy with the 2.4. 2007 Defender 90 XS
Post #750602 11th Jan 2019 8:30pm
Rkcorry

That’s the spirit Procta, go straight pass Go and collect your 200, cut out the middle man.

The Puma is a more refined example with the loss of front vents and new design heater box being the biggest change in cabin comforts, though the cabin is more compact with the newer dash.

The addition of a sixth forward gear make for a more comfortable drive at a decent speed, dare I say, not loud as the older model, though I am guilty of listen to the engine, drivetrain as opposed to the radio or passengers, a very bad habit in a Defender, all I can here right now are loose clutch springs Sad

Have a look at the ever changing stock on BCA auction pages, many different models at present, stock changing daily with a recent leveling off of prices I thought. Might be a sign of things to come or simply the time of year.

Best of luck in what you choose, do take a spin at any opportunity So as to compare models.

Oh, and Should you happen to find one that keeps the oils in and water out please do share.
Post #750612 11th Jan 2019 9:08pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf - I really meant pre Puma I.e. TD5. Mine is a late 07 2.4. (You were right and agree with with your sentiments.)

Should have been a bit clearer. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #750632 11th Jan 2019 9:56pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:
Mpg is about 26 -30 and be careful of tax class. Some early SW’s were nearly £500 a year, N1 commercial is - £240.

I haven’t had experience of earlier models (pre Puma.) but all positive in my book.
The EGR is a nuisance issue though but in the grand scheme of things that’s nothing.

I agree with Steve above about MPG and it all being positive, providing you remember that it's an updated version of your old truck not an entirely new design.

I paid £555 for my last year's tax, so definitely check before you buy.

I had my EGR die but £135 for a replacement every 10 years is no biggie really. The starter motor just went too which was twice the price. All of my brake calipers needed re-sealing with new pistons due to corrosion after 8 years and my air-con condenser is in tatters due to the fins corroding out. Every time I go through water more of it falls out.

Replacement engines are cheap, gearboxes strong (except apparently the coupling shaft), front diffs apparently quite weak and clutches very variable in longevity - but I think overall they are a pretty good and versatile vehicle.

If I were on the market to buy I would have snapped up that 2007 110 SW that was advertised recently - £12K seemed like a good price to me.
Post #750639 11th Jan 2019 10:12pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I've had a 2.2 puma for a couple of months now and I can't stop grinning every time I drive it.

If I'm not driving it, I'm tinkering with it & when I'm not doing that I'm reading about it.

Issues so far:
1. Corrosion on windscreen frame (LR is fitting a replacement FOC as its just within 6 year corrosion warranty. Hopefully the new one will last more than 6 years - ?!).
2. Paranoia over security; adding layers of security is all very well but it all adds up & it means I can't afford unnecessary cool things to bolt onto it.
3. Jaw ache from too much grinning.

I've never driven any other types of defender, but I can categorically state that the 2.2 puma is by far the best 4x4 of them all without question, undoubtedly and without bias.
Post #750643 11th Jan 2019 10:23pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Had a 300tdi 110 van as my daily drive for 10 yrs. and 250,000 miles - replaced 2 gear boxes and a cylinder head + all the usual "service parts" brakes, UJ's, trackrod ends, radiator and so on + performance and handling mods.

Bought the Puma 2.4 110 USW XS 5 years and 80,000 miles ago, it's now done 125,000 miles.

Comfort, performance and general driveability are head and shoulders above the 300tdi.

It does have a few more built in problems than the older model, EGR, output shaft and so on.

So far it's had a new engine, turbo, transfer box, output shaft, air con condenser, radiator - the list goes on, again performance and handling mods.

The Puma is great both on and off road and brings a grin to my face every time I drive it, I may have spent far too much on it but there is nothing that I'd trade it in for! Thumbs Up
Post #750644 11th Jan 2019 10:23pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Our 90" TDCI 2.2 is the one to have Thumbs Up
Drove from Norfolk to Wales and then back again today. Got about 28/29 mpg and as it has done only 7000 miles in total I would expect that to improve as mileage increases. No aches and pains , nice comfortable vehicle and at my age that is some recommendation.
Tax is £250 and insurance is about £350 full Comp. Well worth the extra money, included A/C and most of the extras people spend a fortune on adding to earlier models.
Go for it if you can , you will not be disappointed.
Thumbs Up Very Happy 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #750649 11th Jan 2019 11:25pm
pj2106

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Love my 2.4 110 apart from the £555 road tax

Owned lots of defenders before tdci and td5 running repair costs no real difference to any of the others

Some preventative repairs to avoid unreliability issues

Main things have been clutch/output shaft and rear drive shafts

Injector deal next on the list as a small amount of oil getting through

Quieter and more refined than my previous ones execpt the other 2.4 I had

All in all a fun place to be with so much scope for personalisation

Alive remap and egr delete on the way shortly but even in std form a pleasure to drive

Suspension can be a bit harsh on the rear of the 110 but again alive comfort springs should sort this

If I could keep the Puma bit have a td5 under the bonnet along with the 5 speed box I would but pockets not that deep lol 2008 110 2.4 XS Utility (Hagrid)
2002 90 TD5 Hardtop (Sully) Sold
1998 300TDi D1 (Billy) Sold
Post #750651 11th Jan 2019 11:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>