Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Water doping system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bourgui

Oman 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alaska White
Water doping system
Good day,

has anybody ever tried to install a water doping system? (you can google econokit for instance).
My father installed one on his 100% stock 2.4 puma and is feels much better at low regime! Also consumption has decreased - around 800 km per tank.
All the diesel clunk/clatter... have also disappeared and engine sounds happy.
It is claiming that combustion temp will go down as well - could not see it as no EMS installed.

I am hesitating whether i should install one on mine (2.4 puma as well) as it has been remapped/decatted/no center silencer / Allisport intercooler. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Gregoire
Post #748634 2nd Jan 2019 9:35am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I'd never heard of it in a car, in aircraft yes.

A quick google gives this;

Quote:
In 2015 BMW has introduced a version of their high performance M4 coupe, the M4 GTS, that combines water injection with intercooling. The car was featured in the 2015 MotoGP season as the official safety car for the series and was released for the commercial market in 2016.[6] Bosch, which co-developed the technology, offers a water injection system named WaterBoost for other manufacturers. The company claims up to 5% increase in engine performance, up to 4% decrease in CO2 emissions and up to 13% improvement in fuel economy.[7]

The figures for fuel consumption look good.

What type of kit did your father install?
Post #748636 2nd Jan 2019 10:17am
Bourgui

Oman 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alaska White
Hi Badger,

the kit he installed is econokit (http://econokit.fr/?lang=en). It is not cheap but if it reduces the pollution then it is worth it!
Post #748641 2nd Jan 2019 10:31am
JOE_130

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Java Black
Water injection was popular a few years ago on performance cars drag racing, WRC, those sorts of vehicles. It's fallen a tad out of fashion recently since engine management has advanced and combustion is so much more controlled.

It is however very good at reducing knock as you say. Aquamist is a good system run by a nice chap called Richard whose been running the company for decades. http://www.aquamist-direct.com/ Richard should be able to give you some pointers on how to specify a system. The new systems work out water injection quantities based on fuel injector duties.

Biggest problem, especially on a dirty diesel, is the tendancy for oil in the charge air system and the water to combine in to "mayonnaise" aka the creamy white sludge you get when water gets in to an oil system that makes a right mess. If you want knock suppression only you can inject in to the inlet manifold, if you're after cooler charge air temperatures you'll need to be injecting pre-intercooler.
Post #748656 2nd Jan 2019 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1