↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Making a Tractor Road Legal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Making a Tractor Road Legal
I have a Yanmar F14D compact tractor. This is a grey market import, they were never sold outside of Japan. It is not road registered and has no paperwork or certification. Yanmar are quite clear that they will have nothing to do with grey market tractors. Do you think it would be possible to make it road legal? I use it for clearing snow at this time of year, and it would be handy if I could venture beyond my own property to clear the lane.

I guess there are two aspects, firstly is it possible in theory to make it read legal and if it is, does the tractor need to meet any the technical requirements (safety, lighting, emissions etc.)? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #756019 3rd Feb 2019 8:39pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
E.P.Barrus are the UK concessionaires for Yanmar in the UK. Not the easiest of companies to deal with (speaking from past experience).

You'll need to obtain a Certificate of Conformity issued under ECWVTA (European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval) or a HSE Tractor Cab Type Approval.

I wish you every success but I cannot help thinking you're going to struggle. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #756030 3rd Feb 2019 9:08pm
smb

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Excuse my ignorance, but does it need to be road legal if it is agricultural and driven within a certain distance? If it does then half the tractors around our way are illegal. Or is it just a requirement to have it registered for a number plate?
Post #756035 3rd Feb 2019 9:13pm
Bluest

A certificate of conformity will be a non-starter, Yanmar have a clear policy not to assist in anything to do with grey market tractors.

Regarding whether it needs to be road legal, no idea, but I don’t think snowploughing could be construed as agricultural use, and I’m not a farmer anyway, so it would be shakey ground. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #756042 3rd Feb 2019 9:42pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I registered my honda 4x4 quad as an agricultural vehicle with very little paperwork and I'm not a farmer.
Post #756052 3rd Feb 2019 10:03pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
SMB is correct i believe, Purely Agricultural Vehicles are exempt from the same laws as cars. As are their drivers.

I believe you Still need a registration plate (for tonnage restriction purposes) which can be obtained so long as it has a VIN.

I believe the only legal reason for tractors to be on the road is to go to or from agricultural tasks, or delivery purposes only. Otherwise they require haulage. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #756054 3rd Feb 2019 10:08pm
Romadog

Will need to be registered for insurance when on the public highway Whistle
Your household insurance will not cover it.........many have been caught out with ride on mowers.

But just to add you will not get registration as its a grey import which the Manufacturer in this country does not recognise, so you will not get a certificate to prove build date.
These grey imports are fooling people with sellers saying that they can be maintained by going to local dealers.
I used to work for a dealer where a customer came in with an issue on his Iseki, having been told that we would be able to source parts etc
There was an issue with hydraulics which were also electrically controlled Shocked and all control decals in Japanese Shocked
Kubota have the same issue. eBay is full of them
Post #756057 3rd Feb 2019 10:08pm
Bluest

ickle wrote:
I registered my honda 4x4 quad as an agricultural vehicle with very little paperwork and I'm not a farmer.

What information on the vehicle did you have to provide? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #756063 3rd Feb 2019 10:29pm
Bluest

Romadog wrote:
Will need to be registered for insurance when on the public highway Whistle
Your household insurance will not cover it.........many have been caught out with ride on mowers.

But just to add you will not get registration as its a grey import which the Manufacturer in this country does not recognise, so you will not get a certificate to prove build date.
These grey imports are fooling people with sellers saying that they can be maintained by going to local dealers.
I used to work for a dealer where a customer came in with an issue on his Iseki, having been told that we would be able to source parts etc
There was an issue with hydraulics which were also electrically controlled Shocked and all control decals in Japanese Shocked
Kubota have the same issue. eBay is full of them

I’ve owned this quite a long time and was under no illusions when I bought it. What you do get is a quality bit of machinery usually well maintained for substantially less than the cost of a half decent ride on mower. True, there is no official support, but there are active communities of people running these things on the ‘net, so most maintenance and operational issues can be overcome.

Mine has the electric controlled hydraulics, but they are for a specific type of implement used in Japan, you can ignore the electric part and use the hydraulics manually. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #756065 3rd Feb 2019 10:36pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I think it was very basic and I applied for a q plate as an agricultural tractor so I could get road insurance. I own a bit of woodland but there are a couple of footpaths running along its boundaries and it was a grey area if I could ride on them if it wasn’t registered.
Post #756121 4th Feb 2019 7:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1