↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Replacing grease nipple in situ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GrouseII

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Coniston Green
Replacing grease nipple in situ?
So, bank holiday is here, sun is shining, time for my first bit of maintenance on my 90 Puma. I haven't really touched cars since I was 18 and keeping a mini running!

Two out of 4 UJ joints greased fine having read everyones comments on how to but 1 is completely stripped thread and the other appears to be missing.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to replace a grease nipple (zerk?) in situ without taking the whole propshaft out? It looks a nightmare to get an openended spanner into the joint to get it un done and of course my two are at the gearbox end where there is little play.
2. Are they standed items. They are at 90 degrees, is it a one size fits all defenders?
3. The front propshaft has a nipple at the forward end and nothing at the gearbox end. I am assuming it is missing. Do they actually come with one end sealed for life and the other with a nipple or is my hunch likely to be true and it is missing

I have googled heavily on this and here in the forum but despite lots of grease nipple posts I can t find anyone talking about getting them in and out.

BTW. My pic is of the good nipple because it was easier to photograph

Thanks

GrouseII

Click image to enlarge
Post #705815 7th May 2018 6:14pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
Watching with interest because my rear prop has the same issue 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #705886 7th May 2018 9:48pm
sat13

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Just done this very job yesterday. The best way I have found for greasing as the wise ones on here have said is to drop one end of the prop off, then you can fully articulate the UJs and get the grease gun on with ease.

Also replacing the nipples is easier with better access. Have some new nylock nuts ready I found the nut would strip after reusing a few times. I think the part number is NZ6064041L plenty on EBay along with grease nipples TVK500490. Also on EBay.

There should be a nipple on each UJ. Mine had one missing from new but not hard to fit if the prop is off at one end. I didn’t think about attempting to fit the nipple in situ as the prop was coming off for greasing at the time.

Regards to all.

Last edited by sat13 on 8th May 2018 1:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #705985 8th May 2018 11:21am
custom90

United Kingdom 
A few similar issues here too.

Are the nipples on the UJ's and slider short or long thread on a 2.4 90? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #705997 8th May 2018 1:01pm
sat13

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not sure about long or short thread, but this one works fine. They fit my 2.4 puma ok.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Defende...1426314322
Post #706011 8th May 2018 1:58pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
invest in a prop shaft socket or grind down the edges on your own socket to get one to fit and speed up the whole job. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #706017 8th May 2018 2:22pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-BA3138?scid...n0QAvD_BwE Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #706018 8th May 2018 2:22pm
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
From memory Wasnt there a recall on puma props with missing/ never fitted grease nipples ?

Or was it all a dream Laughing

Do remember somthing though
Post #706022 8th May 2018 2:48pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
No you did not dream the recall

SSM40851

Defender Front and Rear Propshaft Grease Points

Title: Defender Front and Rear Propshaft Grease Points

Last Modified: 30-MAR-2009 08:27

Category: Noise/ Vibration

Symptom: 703000 Vibration Concerns

Content Issue: Loose or missing front / rear propshaft grease nipples for Defender 07 MYonward vehicles. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #706032 8th May 2018 3:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sat13 - I noticed those earlier, but didn't look up any more to check P/N's that they would fit.
So thank-you for that. Thumbs Up
The straight short thread nipples seem better though for the prop slider, to keep them as close as possible and avoid getting and knocks etc
But those genuine ones are ideal for UJ's. All be it just on eBay in stock there!

JST - I just had one delivered today funny anough a Sealey one. Thumbs Up As well as a couple of 9/16th AF spanners el cheapo ones and a Wera Joker 9/16th.
Thumbs Up

Dasiy90 - I too have heard of that, and was quite a while ago but can't remember much about it.

Giarion - Funny you mention the recall and the symptom, that is the very scenario I have a vibration issue!
In the process right now of investigating further hence buying tools, tools that I've been meaning to buy for years. Laughing Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #706035 8th May 2018 4:08pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The recall notice stated that should the nipples be missing then the prop shaft would have to be replaced

'If any propshafts are identified where the grease nipples are missing, then the propshaft should be replaced'.

'Any cases where the grease nipples are in place but loose should be torqued to 8Nm + 45degrees'. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #706041 8th May 2018 4:39pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #706045 8th May 2018 5:07pm
GrouseII

Thanks everyone

So far (for some reason I didn't get the notifications of these reply's) I ended up shopping blindly for the correct size nipples and now have 17 wrong sizes!!

Anyhow, the good news is that I was able to remove the old threaded one on the rear shaft with a 10mm open spanner without removing the prop shaft and then put a temporary 90 degree one in while i go shopping using the links kindly provided here. So in answer to my original question, yes it can be done in situ.

I am concerned on two counts.
1. Someone posted torque settings. No way can I get a socket in there. John Craddock said that my prop is probably not original as LandRover only have straight nipples which would be on the edge of the UJ and not tucked in the center like mine.

2. Why must I ditch my current front propshaft that is missing a nipple. Being a tight ar*e I dont want to. Surely, whacking a new nipple in and keep pumping grease in until all the crap pushes out from the seals ... or am I missing something?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Grouse II
Post #706344 10th May 2018 8:31am
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
1. Someone posted torque settings. No way can I get a socket in there.

8nm - It's basically just nipped up tight by hand with a spanner. It's not a big thread so bear that in mind when tightening it.....

They put torque settings for everything, because one person's idea of "nipped up with a spanner" is different to another's. I'd be surprised if many people outside of say aviation or precision engineering fields would have a torque wrench that goes down that low anyway.

Quote:
2. Why must I ditch my current front propshaft that is missing a nipple. Being a tight ar*e I dont want to. Surely, whacking a new nipple in and keep pumping grease in until all the crap pushes out from the seals ... or am I missing something?

Because the recall/service action is written for dealer's workshops. If you took your car in for the recall and they just fitted a new nipple and greased up what might well be a very well worn prop shaft for it to fail 6 months later you wouldn't be too impressed. I suspect LR only supply complete propshafts, not rebuild kits too.
Post #706421 10th May 2018 2:08pm
GrouseII

Thanks ZSD

I like your take on these two issues, so I shall 'nip' and shove loads of grease into the UJ.

I'll post my final findings once my new grease nipples have turned up and weather permitting everything is done

GrouseII
Post #706564 11th May 2018 12:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>