↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Updated headlamps in reality ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
redline

Switzerland 
Quote:
Got the crystals and love the look but are these the Nightbreakers?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/64210NBL-HCB-BREA...aker+bulbs

Yup - I'm using those, but Defender bulbs are H4, not H7 as in that link.
Post #746164 17th Dec 2018 6:59pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Thanks. So these Question

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-halogen-h...r+bulbs+h4 Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #746168 17th Dec 2018 7:09pm
redline

Switzerland 
Look like the right ones - as per the Osram vehicle guide, the part number is the same.

Click image to enlarge
Post #746170 17th Dec 2018 7:14pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #746173 17th Dec 2018 7:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
rallysteve wrote:
Brendan,
Where is it stated that only one front indicator is allowed?
The road vehicle lighting regs state that the requirement is for one but not that it is limited to. It goes on to describe how the flashing of multiple front or rear indicators should be in phase.

Cheers Steve

It is stated in VLR and in UNECE r48. From VLR

Quote:

PART II
Requirements relating to optional direction indicators
1. No vehicle shall be fitted with a total of more than one front indicator nor more than two rear indicators, on each side.

Now have a look at the front of a small euro box, white van, double decker bus, HGV all have one indicator per side at the front of a vehicle.

Now where am I am slightly confused is on the rear indicators. Some HGV's do have 3 indicators per side. Now there are different categories of rear indicators and there are so many different classes of vehicles. I have not had any need to find out that information so I admitI do not understand that part of the regulations. I mention that before you ask the question as I do not know the answer to that one.

Brendan
Post #746176 17th Dec 2018 7:32pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Cheers,
Couldnt find that one. I was wondering as the side repeaters on my Audi are probably more visible from the front than the side!

Also not quite sure how the stupid modern VAG and HGV 'progressive' indicators get around it either as there is 4/5 lights which are all out of phase!

Newish golfs also have two front indicators although i guess they are built into the headlight housing.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #746182 17th Dec 2018 8:16pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Steve, are you trying to explore how shallow my knowledge is?

If you go into the deep murky depths of the UNECE Regulations you will find details factual visible angles of any light, actual wavelengths etc. Also acceptable luminous flux etc.

Now with sequential indicators the first (normally LED) ‘bulb’ should light up towards the middle of the vehicle first and stay lit whilst number 2 lights up which stays on whilst no 3 etc. So they should go from inside to outside in sequence. If not they are not working correctly and I would hazard at a guess of water ingress.

Have no knowledge of the Golfs but if indicator is built into the headlight with two light sources is it co sidered to be one indicator light unit?

Brendan
Post #746221 17th Dec 2018 11:13pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
leeds wrote:
Being fully road legal what are the options?

New headlight bowls and glass lens will be a simple improved as cleaner reflective surface gives improved light output over a tarnished reflector. New clean glass lens will give less light scatter so improved light output.

Filament bulbs are tested at 13.2 volts so any voltage below that will give lower light output. An improved voltage at H4 connector by using an uprated wiring loom is beneficial.

Using a uprated bulb will give greater light output but at the cost of lower lifespan. Compare the B3 and Tc figures of an uprated bulb over a standard bulb. Those figures are approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of life span off a standard bulb. (How many cyclop cars do you see at night time)

LED headlights from reputable manufacturers are type approved. Please note the expression type approved, the expression E marked refers to a country code and is often used to dupe unsuspecting customers. Learn what an approval mark looks like. Reputable headlight manufacturers with correct approval markings put their names on their lights such as Wipac, Hella, Nolden, Vision X, Truck-Lite, JW Speaker. It is not a legal requirement for manufacturer to include their name on the type approval of headlights but most if not all reputable makers do.

Brendan

You make a very good point about longevity. So many cars around here driving with blown lights. Last night I saw one with just a single front fog light at the front. Nothing else.

Nightbreaker, Philips vision etc only cost about £15 a pair including same day delivery at europarts so it's no biggie carrying spares or availability but the warranties on LED units vary wildly.
If I remember correctly the Nolden's i had from you came with a 2 year warranty as do Britpart lynx but some brands were only a year, others up to 5. Also I have no idea how good the warranties actually are in case of early failure but I would be extremely wary of generic ebay copies.
Perhaps you could clarify regarding the brands you stock?
Post #746267 18th Dec 2018 9:01am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Zed the question of what constitutes a warranty can be a big can of worms.

Basically in the UK a retailer has to off a 1 year warranty

Now if I remember correctly the Nolden, Vision X and Truck-Lite are 2 year warranty whereas the latest 4 function Truck-Lite is a 5 year warranty.

Some companies put in a functionality clause, a manufactures warranty normally involves registration with the manufacturer and sending items back to them for inspection.

What is 4x4overlander experience with Noldens and warranty claims? We have sold several hundred Nolden headlights and over a 1,000 Nolden DRLs

We have had 2 out of boxes claims that Nolden headlights don't work. The vehicles had reversed polarity on headlight circuits, switch them to correct polarity and Noldens worked fine.

Had a claim that Noldens caused radio interference. Testing of headlights showed no fault, bad earths on radio causing the interference.

Have been asked to supply a Nolden front lens. Defender had been written off in a serious collision, headlight worked fine but lens was cracked. Not a serviceable item.

One Generation 1 Nolden with position lights had one of the small LED side light not working. Unit exchanged. The only Nolden BiLed headlight that I know of with a genuine fault

Nearside Nolden on our red 110 not working on main beam and I though oh sugar. Tested headlight, worked fine. Problem was a 22 year old fuse had given up the ghost, replaced fuse and back to normal.

On Nolden DRL's we have supplied over a 1,000 of these units. These units are bulk packed and only issue we have had was not enough fuses supplied in one consignment.

So I am extremely happy with the quality of light units from Noldens. The chances of a fault with a Nolden light is extremely minimal in our experience. Any faults with Nolden lights are probably due to vehicle faults rather then a fault with Noldens

Please remember warranties only apply to first purchaser of goods.

If you buy from overseas via the internet can you be sure that any warranty claim will be honoured?

Brendan
Post #746303 18th Dec 2018 3:44pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
1 proper failure out of thousands is very impressive. The Trucklite 5 year warranty also considering it's price point.
Post #746306 18th Dec 2018 4:34pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I have used Nightbreakers on all recent cars and they make a big difference over standard bulbs. A cleaner white light over standard and a visible improvement demonstrated by recent a experience where I had to swap back to standard bulbs when one blew after 4 years and rather inconveniently the day before the MOT!

Two days on standard bulbs was enough to remind me why an upgrade was worth having. Thankfully amazon prime delivered Nightbreakers and normal service was resumed

As a bulb upgrade - I would recommend. Phil
Post #746308 18th Dec 2018 4:56pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Just to add my 2 cents so to speak..

Replace bulbs with nightbreakers
Direct positive feed and earth to battery via relays

That is all you need to have the best headlights going as the headlight units are perfectly good.
LEDs just spoil the look and give out a horrible cold white colour, probably blinding oncoming traffic and annoying the person you are driving behind Laughing
Post #746312 18th Dec 2018 5:31pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Had std factory headlights, wipac crystal, cheapo led and now Hella ultravision with diy upgraded loom and h4+ Vosla bulbs. The latter being the best so far. Not as blinging as Wipac crystal but much better light pattern.
I'm getting around 13.3V at the bulb. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #746353 18th Dec 2018 10:19pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I changed the headlight fitting to Wipac Crystal headlamps first and found an improvement later swapping the bulbs for Osram Night breaker bulbs which made a vast improvement, recently I have installed the wiring upgrade which has made a slight improvement. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #746390 19th Dec 2018 10:45am
WindyJ

Click image to enlarge
Post #746440 19th Dec 2018 5:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>