↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Fusing a Solar Panel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Fusing a Solar Panel
I have a 100 watt solar panel permanently bolted to the roof which runs through a charge controller and into the battery. At present there isn't a fuse in the system and I'd like to fit one for peace of mind. Should I fuse the cables between the panel and charge controller or between the controller and battery (or both)?

Thanks, Harry 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #743377 1st Dec 2018 10:51am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Both. The fuses are there primary to protect the cables - in case of a short, not to burn. So they should be as close to the power source (panel, regulator), as possible. Secondary protection is to protect the equipment itself (panel, regulator, battery) in case of over current.
First fuse as close to panel as practically possible. Second fuse between regulator and battery, if they are close and wires are short, place the fuse close to the battery. But if the are in the "opposite ends" of car, use two fuses - first next to battery, second next to regulator. In case of a short somewhere in the middle, both battery and regulator are energy sources and this energy can burn something on the way. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #743448 1st Dec 2018 5:40pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Both is typically better, but have a look at the maximum short circuit current of your panels. 6-7A is about typical for a 100W panel, and assuming you're using decent cables they'll cope with the maximum potential current from your panels without doing anything dangerous.

It's very, very important to have a fuse at the battery end because if there's a cable fault then a (relatively) thin cable coming from a solar panel is not going to cope with the hundreds of amps that your battery can provide and that can lead to a fire.

If it was me, I'd just put one in at the battery to make things simpler.
Post #743486 1st Dec 2018 10:24pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Thanks both Thumbs Up I'll get some fuses ordered. The charge controller itself has reverse protection built in which protects the panel from the battery and the wiring is all proper solar standard.

I presume a simple in-line blade fuse is ok? 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #743542 2nd Dec 2018 12:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1