↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Winter wiper blades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:
I had this problem one day last winter. Freezing fog and a slightly weak washer fluid solution don’t mix very well!

Click image to enlarge

This might be my problem on my motors, should you be putting 100% screen wash in rather than a mix of water?
Also do wonder if my jets need a tweak too, as they are practically useless at high speed compared to the 306. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #746346 18th Dec 2018 9:29pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, -45.C are the better ones.

I tend to use 1/4 concentration in summer months and 2/4 aka 50/50 in winter time. I use Motul apple which is green.
Won’t ever use that Carplan blue rubbish. I’m pretty sure it was that what started perishing my windscreen rubber.

My windscreen washer bottle could do with replacing or a though clean for the pumps sake. But I’m guessing it’s a pig t get access to get it out? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #746352 18th Dec 2018 10:10pm
dgardel

Italy 
Mate, I live in the “Paese del sole e della pizza”, not on the Alps, but here in Venice -20C is enough! Mr. Green Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #746373 19th Dec 2018 2:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The reservoir is awkward to remove but it can be done. You will need to unbolt the PAS reservoir and carefully move it and its bracket out of the way, and the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet manifold will require manipulating in order to get the reservoir out. You will also find that the screws which hold the washer reservoir to the inner wing are odd - they look like machine screws but have a coarse, woodscrew-like thread which bites into the polypropylene flange of the reservoir and (in theory) secures the screw so that the nut can be fitted from underneath. You will probably have to hold the screw (from above) whilst undoing the nut (from below), so four-foot arms with an extra elbow help!

Once out, it is still exceptionally difficult to clean the balck mould gunk out of the reservoir. The way I find works best is to rinse as much as possible out, then borrow SWMBO's best bottle brush (wait until she's out for this), then bung a handful of clean small gravel in with some water and shake the reservoir vigorously for a while. This does the job very well, and the gravel is easy to tip out afterwards.

I think that the service manual says that the outer wing panel must be removed to get at the washer reservoir, but this is not necessary.
Post #746384 19th Dec 2018 9:56am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I run a diluted solution in the summer (when I remember) but just run it neat in the winter. It’s so cheap that it’s not worth worrying about.
Post #746397 19th Dec 2018 11:54am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf - Thank-you. I shall have to do that I think as it won’t do the pump any good at all in the long run.
I’m always very careful to avoid contamination so it’s just general age related build up I think really.

Interesting to hear that LR think it’s best to remove the wing.
I think most people can understand why they think that’s a good idea to string out workshop hours.
I’ve moved the PAS fluid bottle before for access.
And I know the screws you mean, they have a rather large overall head dia. And of course naturally they are slightly corroded.
IIRC, they were Dinitrolled when I saw them to protect them.

I suppose ideally, distilled water should be used in there but not many do so myself included which may not help. (With the washer fluid concentrate of course.) Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #746404 19th Dec 2018 12:45pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
JOW240725 wrote:
Rain X did wonders in the Beast from the East. First day the wipers froze even with heated screen on. Rain X that night and completely clear, I was shocked at the difference.

I got some rainX for my wife, as her car is awful when it comes to steaming up... My car at the time, was an Audi, and I had no problem with steamed windows, but the rain was awful on the outside... So we applied it to her windscreen and low and behold, worked a treat. I thought id give it go on mine thinking it would help but actually made mine worse.

But I think I will give it a go... Also there are a few videos showing shaving foam also helping well.
I cant find the exact one I saw - but this will give you an idea...
And its a lot cheaper than rainX!!!
 Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #746416 19th Dec 2018 2:25pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
finally found the video I saw

Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #746432 19th Dec 2018 4:20pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Adam17 wrote:
JOW240725 wrote:
Rain X did wonders in the Beast from the East. First day the wipers froze even with heated screen on. Rain X that night and completely clear, I was shocked at the difference.

I got some rainX for my wife, as her car is awful when it comes to steaming up... My car at the time, was an Audi, and I had no problem with steamed windows, but the rain was awful on the outside... So we applied it to her windscreen and low and behold, worked a treat. I thought id give it go on mine thinking it would help but actually made mine worse.

But I think I will give it a go... Also there are a few videos showing shaving foam also helping well.
I cant find the exact one I saw - but this will give you an idea...
And its a lot cheaper than rainX!!!

My dad says that his father used to carry a potato in the car before there were modern wiperblades. Once it started raining, he'd just cut the potato and rub on the windscreen. Probably appropriate for a Defender.
Post #746584 20th Dec 2018 12:15pm
dorsetsmith

1988 AA /RAC on foggy window one j cloths rub washing up liquid in to the j cloths hang it over rad to dry now can be used to de foggy window in your land rover
Post #746588 20th Dec 2018 12:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12