↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Boomslang loom fuse rating.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Boomslang loom fuse rating.
Having fitted a Boomslang headlight loom and checking the fuse I was surprised to find that each headlight is protected by a 25 amp fuse,I would have thought that a 15amp per side would be more appropriate or am I missing some thing? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #740785 16th Nov 2018 10:04am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
That’s quite a lot of headroom room for a H4 bulb even with both filaments lit. If the boomslang wiring is up to 25 amps I wouldnt worry. But you could probably come down to 15 if you are concerned. Perhaps they have allowed a bit of margin for those who fit higher wattage bulbs? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #740794 16th Nov 2018 10:40am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
The fuse it there primarily to protect the wiring in the event of a short, so a bit of overkill won't do any harm so long as the wiring is suitably rated. Better that than to risk the fuse blowing randomly resulting in no lights.
Post #740799 16th Nov 2018 10:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
15A is quite sufficient for a single headlamp, but not for a pair. 25A is sufficient for both headlamps.

When I rewired mine I used a single feed, initially with a 15A fuse, to two relays, one for dip and one for main beam. This was entirely satisfactory until the first time I flashed the headlights whilst I had the dip beam on, which of course adds the main beam filament to the mix. This immediately caused a sudden onset of total darkness in a very traditional Lucas manner.

Since replacing the 15A fuse with a 25A fuse I can now flash to my heart's content both day and night.

I am unfamiliar with the Boomslang loom (since I can see no point buying a product I can make better myself) but I am intrigued that it has one fuse per light unit. I would have expected there to be two relays, one for main and one for dip, either with a single fused feed to both or less probably independent fused feeds to each. From your question, if there is a separate fuse for each light I would infer that the fuse is 'downstream' of the relay, which seems highly unsatisfactory! Perhaps someone who is familiar with this loom could outline how it is designed?
Post #740802 16th Nov 2018 11:11am
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
Yes I must admit, thinking about it, mine, (Boomslang,) has only a single fuse in the battery cable feeding both relays.
Maybe they've changed the design recently?
Post #740810 16th Nov 2018 11:58am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Blackwolf…………….. The loom is single feed from the battery which then divides into two cables , each cable then has a 25 amp fuse, then a relay . From the relay each headlight has its own cable and H4 connector. Each relay is triggered by a supply taken from the redundant nearside headlight connector. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #740825 16th Nov 2018 3:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
OK thanks, I now understand. It is an odd way to do it, since the fuse should be as near to the source as possible (in my case the fuse is within inches of the battery). I understand that the Boomslang loom gets its power from the alternator rather than the battery, so perhaps this is the reason.
Post #740826 16th Nov 2018 4:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1